A Plea...

DanOCan

This is a pet peeve of mine.

Typically on Event caches people want to drop in TBs or GeoCoins before they log their Attended logs. Most people typically do this with a simple Note to the cache page stating something like "plonk" or "coin drop". As more and more of these Notes get posted the cache page gets longer and longer and it gets harder to pick out the Will Attend logs or Notes from the cache owner which are posted with additional information -- never mind the fact that it sends an email to everyone who has the cache on a Watchlist.

My plea to geocachers -- once you drop your trackables in a cache with a Note, please delete your log from the cache page*! It doesn't alter the TBs history in any way and it keeps the cache page clean and more readable.

It almost seems like people are worried that if they delete the Note where they dropped the TB the bug will disappear from the cache or something.

Does this bug anyone else or am I alone on it? I have been subtly trying to educate people on this process by adding comments to my Notes when I do it. "Coin drop! I'll delete this Note right away to keep the cache page clean." but it doesn't seem to help so I am taking it to the Forums where I can get flamed for having too much time on my hands. :ph34r:

Almost seems like this could be a Feature Request...although it's probably been suggested before and not implemented.

How about a new log type of "Trackable Drop", where the trackable item would be selected just like the Note or other type of log, but nothing would show on the cache/event page...only the trackable would be placed in the cache.

Never really bothered me. Seem more like a personal preference thing than an education thing to me.

In that case, I would guess that you aren't doing paperless caching or using GSAK printouts where you typically only have the last four or so logs. Even aside from that, I can't imagine anyone truely enjoying reading "bug drop!" logs, even if they aren't bothered by them.

Typically on Event caches people want to drop in TBs or GeoCoins before they log their Attended logs. Most people typically do this with a simple Note to the cache page stating something like "plonk" or "coin drop". As more and more of these Notes get posted the cache page gets longer and longer and it gets harder to pick out the Will Attend logs or Notes from the cache owner which are posted with additional information -- never mind the fact that it sends an email to everyone who has the cache on a Watchlist.

My plea to geocachers -- once you drop your trackables in a cache with a Note, please delete your log from the cache page*! It doesn't alter the TBs history in any way and it keeps the cache page clean and more readable.

It almost seems like people are worried that if they delete the Note where they dropped the TB the bug will disappear from the cache or something.

Does this bug anyone else or am I alone on it? I have been subtly trying to educate people on this process by adding comments to my Notes when I do it. "Coin drop! I'll delete this Note right away to keep the cache page clean." but it doesn't seem to help so I am taking it to the Forums where I can get flamed for having too much time on my hands. :lol:

Ha! I am guilty of "coin drops" on event pages. Actually I wasn't aware you could delete your log from a cache page until this very conversation. I guess I've really had no reason to try it? Most of our events aren't that large so I guess it doesn't bother me if people leave notes. I could see where it could get out of hand if you had a large event and needed a head count though :ph34r:

One way to solve this issue once and for all would be to allow one to Drop a bug or coin while Editing an Existing log. I would code it up so that it would allow you to do this for about an hour after your log, but after that one would need to make a new note log. You know, about the timeframe where you can edit your log without the wording [This entry was edited by cacherx on Monday, September 10, 2005 at 4:32:10 PM.] being unceremoniously added to your log. Because it's about that millisecond after you post a log that you realize that you needed to drop the trackable.

Edited by trainlove

Never really bothered me. Seem more like a personal preference thing than an education thing to me.

In that case, I would guess that you aren't doing paperless caching or using GSAK printouts where you typically only have the last four or so logs. Even aside from that, I can't imagine anyone truely enjoying reading "bug drop!" logs, even if they aren't bothered by them.

Fair assumptions, I guess. But wrong. I don't enjoy reading them, but they don't bother me.

I have found those notes to be very usefull numerous times when trying to track down who may have picked up a bug or coin and didn't log it properly.

I do paperless caching sometimes so I appreciate the issues with logs, but it really seems to be a pretty minor issue the vast majority of the time. And I just don't buy into the whole "keeping the cache page clean and tidy" argument.

Does this bug anyone else or am I alone on it?

This is probably my only pet peeve about logging. It will take awhile to look up, but I KNOW I posted something about it awhile back.....

I have been subtly trying to educate people on this process by adding comments to my Notes when I do it. "Coin drop! I'll delete this Note right away to keep the cache page clean." but it doesn't seem to help so I am taking it to the Forums where I can get flamed for having too much time on my hands. :ph34r:

I've been doing the same thing for YEARS. I just post "drop delete." I don't say why, because the ONLY people who will see it are folks watching the page and the owner.

Also, I should add that paperless caching and GSAK have little to nothing to do with event caches, which is the main type of cache mentioned by the OP.

Yeah, it's at events where it seems to be the biggest "issue".

-- You want to log "Will Attend" far enough in advance to help with the head count but you don't want to drop in trackables because that means you can't really move them anywhere else until the event.

-- You often want to get the trackables into the event before you log "Attended" so the people who took them from the event don't feel the need to wait for you to log your "Attended".

For the most part on regular caches it isn't as much of an issue because you don't have a large number of people logging these Notes in a relatively short time frame.

As a cache owner, I delete any "drop notes" if they were done as part of a "oops, forgot to drop it in while logging a find" moment, but if it was a previous finder making a return visit and dropping something in I leave it alone.

Heh, don't get me started on the people who don't seem to realize you can drop multiple trackables with one log and instead log eight consecutive "drop" notes. :D

And as a cache owner, I periodically delete bug drop notes off my cache pages.

I did that a few months ago for all my caches, and only with "stale" drop notes.

Three different people wrote and expressed outrage that I deleted their find. :D

Yah, my experience too, except they were polite. :D I explained it was the bug drop, not their find. Also agree with DanOCan's comment about leaving drop notes from return visitors. It's just the "oops, forgot" notes that I remove after a while.

Edited by hydnsek

Wow....

I learn something new each day. It would never have occured to me that an informational note could bug some folks this much. It seems so trival - comments like "tidy" are making me laugh out loud. I can well picture the state of your desks at work. :D

I use papeless caching and GSAk - Iam not bugged by finding notes in the last 5.

I'll not be deleting any of these "drop" notes anytime soon - but to each his own.......

Also, I should add that paperless caching and GSAK have little to nothing to do with event caches, which is the main type of cache mentioned by the OP.

Yeah, it's at events where it seems to be the biggest "issue".

-- You want to log "Will Attend" far enough in advance to help with the head count but you don't want to drop in trackables because that means you can't really move them anywhere else until the event.

-- You often want to get the trackables into the event before you log "Attended" so the people who took them from the event don't feel the need to wait for you to log your "Attended".

For the most part on regular caches it isn't as much of an issue because you don't have a large number of people logging these Notes in a relatively short time frame.

As a cache owner, I delete any "drop notes" if they were done as part of a "oops, forgot to drop it in while logging a find" moment, but if it was a previous finder making a return visit and dropping something in I leave it alone.

Heh, don't get me started on the people who don't seem to realize you can drop multiple trackables with one log and instead log eight consecutive "drop" notes. :D

Sounds like you are in store for a never ending education session because most cachers will not read this forum or care to take the extra time to delete.

I suppose you have noticed the little tally of all the "Will Attend" & "Maintenance Logs" etc listed just above the logs. Guess this only gives you the # of caching names and not the # of people.

I understand wanting to keep a cache page tidy, but if you're going to an event, why would you need the last 5 logs? All (whopping 3!) the events I've been to had the coords, and then a description of the event location in the Description. Prior to the event, the only things that would be there would be Would Attends or Notes anyway, right?

Does this bug anyone else or am I alone on it? I have been subtly trying to educate people on this process by adding comments to my Notes when I do it. "Coin drop! I'll delete this Note right away to keep the cache page clean." but it doesn't seem to help so I am taking it to the Forums where I can get flamed for having too much time on my hands. :D

It's never bothered me one bit. But that being said, I've always deleted those notes, usually with a cutesy comment along the lines of "this note will self-destruct", along with "hi, watchlist". Cause I'm just a funny (and tidy) kind of guy.

It's never bothered me one bit. But that being said, I've always deleted those notes, usually with a cutesy comment along the lines of "this note will self-destruct", along with "hi, watchlist". Cause I'm just a funny (and tidy) kind of guy.

A bit OT, but this last post reminds me of a local cacher who has a neat way of giving hints about tricky hides he's put out. If one of his new caches gets a couple of DNF's and no finds after a few days, he will post a note to the cache page with a special hint just for those who are interested enough in his cache to have it on their watchlist. Then he immediately deletes the note and no one (except the lucky few) is the wiser.

I have found those notes to be very usefull numerous times when trying to track down who may have picked up a bug or coin and didn't log it properly.

I do paperless caching sometimes so I appreciate the issues with logs, but it really seems to be a pretty minor issue the vast majority of the time. And I just don't buy into the whole "keeping the cache page clean and tidy" argument.

How does a 'BUG DROP!' note help you figure out what bug they dropped? You still have to do the research to see who had it last...etc.

I agree WHOLE-HEARTEDLY with the OP, and I ALWAYS delete irrelevant notes. (I use the self-destruct option too!)

I have not deleted other's notes from my cache pages so as not to stress them about having a log deleted, but I do wish they would delete them.

It's probably not the most important issue in the world, but I do like to keep my pixels busy displaying relevant information. :ph34r:

This is not just for events but all caches. It is especially problematic when it's one of the last 4 or 5 logs in a GPX file and you're looking at the logs in the field.

Good post!

One cacher I know suggested that folks be able to drop a handful of TB/s or Coins with a single note. Their example was a traveling coin collection that tours events. Rather than 200 notes. One would do the job. Toss in being able to retrieve them on that same note to cover the entire dip and you have a lot less note clutter and a lot more convenience.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Most people typically do this with a simple Note to the cache page stating something like "plonk" or "coin drop".

Is that what those 'plonk' notes mean? B)

I always thought it meant that those people were planning to bring some cheap table wine to the event. No wonder I get those looks when I sit down next to them with an empty glass and act real friendly. :DB):ph34r:

Another thing I like to do when I intend to delete a bug drop note is to post something EXTRA to mess with the folks watching the page especially when it's dozens of watchers for a big or much anticipated event. B)B):ph34r::DB)B)

I've been known to post stuff that is high in spew factor or just plain odd knowing that it will be deleted immediadely and only read by a few. I get comments about it sometimes. B)B)

How does a 'BUG DROP!' note help you figure out what bug they dropped? You still have to do the research to see who had it last...etc.

I agree WHOLE-HEARTEDLY with the OP, and I ALWAYS delete irrelevant notes. (I use the self-destruct option too!)

I have not deleted other's notes from my cache pages so as not to stress them about having a log deleted, but I do wish they would delete them.

It's probably not the most important issue in the world, but I do like to keep my pixels busy displaying relevant information. B)

A "bug drop" note doesn't help in any way, but a lot of the folks in this area actually list the bugs and coins they are dropping or picking up. Maybe we are a little more informative here in the great pacific north wet than in your area of this big sandbox. Of course I have never deleted anyone's log from any of my caches, nor do I expect I ever will unless something really offensive is posted. I just don't see the point and it seems to me that those pixels are all doing just fine displaying whatever information they have available for anyone who cares to look at the cache page. Seems like an angst opportunity for those who choose to partake. :ph34r:

It's probably not the most important issue in the world, but I do like to keep my pixels busy displaying relevant information. :laughing:

A "bug drop" note doesn't help in any way, but a lot of the folks in this area actually list the bugs and coins they are dropping or picking up. Maybe we are a little more informative here in the great pacific north wet than in your area of this big sandbox. Of course I have never deleted anyone's log from any of my caches, nor do I expect I ever will unless something really offensive is posted. I just don't see the point and it seems to me that those pixels are all doing just fine displaying whatever information they have available for anyone who cares to look at the cache page. Seems like an angst opportunity for those who choose to partake. :D

Of course IF the trackables were listed in the log there might be some benefit. :D

I would think just as much information could be derived from the individual page of a particular trackable of interest. :D

Down here in cactus country, I (we) see a lot of 'Forgot to drop the TB.', 'Bug Drop', 'Dropping a few coins', etc. logs. :D

It's not the end of the world, and only a minor issue, but it adds nothing to my reminiscences of the event as I review the logs. I just mutter 'Who cares!' as I scroll past them. :D

How do you feel about those owners who list the starting contents of their new cache? Three months later and none of those goodies are still there. 'Who cares?' :D

Perhaps I am a bit less tolerant of pointless information than most, but I'm not letting it affect my enjoyment...yet. :D

How do you feel about those owners who list the starting contents of their new cache? Three months later and none of those goodies are still there. 'Who cares?' :)

I honestly believe that many people do this because the form for submitting a cache says under Long Description: "Details about the cache, including contents of the cache, what the container looks like, etc. You can be as brief or as detailed as you like."

I wonder if some people think listing the contents is a requirement for publication, you know, sort of like declaring all of your fruits and vegetables when crossing the border.

\