Custom Mapmaking Help

bmirak

I want to make a topo map of a national park with routable trails based on gpx tracklogs I've recorded.

Using this guide, I've downloaded and converted contour and water data to .mp format and it all shows up great in GPSMapEdit. Now it's just a matter of putting it all together with my tracklog data.

I'm dealing with a 400 square mile, mountainous national park. At 40' increments, that's a LOT of contour data. Before I get too far into this, I'm trying to figure out how to set my levels.

Ideally, I'd like to set up my map similar (but a bit more simplified) to what Garmin does with its 24k mapset: Trails, 200 foot contours, lakes and streams showing up at one zoom (maybe 3 miles), and 40' contours showing up at narrower zoom in the 800' range.

The trouble is, I've read that routing works for lines assigned to the 24-bit level only. (See this guide on making routable maps) This causes some problems:

First, in GPSMapEdit, I can't get anything assigned to level 24 to show up until I'm zoomed in to about 500'. The program does not allow me to change the GPS zoom ranges associated with the levels (ex. Level 24's "GPS Zoom" value is frozen at 120 meters). If I can't assign a wider zoom to level 24, my routable trails won't show on my GPS until I'm zoomed way in. Is there a way around?

Second, even if I could get my level 24 trails to show at a wider zoom (say, 3 miles), because level 24 is the most detailed level, I can't make things like minor contour lines show up at a closer zoom (say, 800 feet). Is there a work around?

It would be a lot easier if I could just assign routable trails to level 20, but the guide above says it can't be done. Anybody disagree?

I'd really appreciate any help the mapping gurus can offer.

It will route fine above 24.... Normal Garmin maps finest level is 23. All my maps use 23 for the roads and extend up as needed.

In order to get lines to show at higher levels, extend the lines to the higher levels. With this technique, cgpsmapper will then make copies of the lines for each of the levels and they will show as you zoom out, but become more detailed as you zoom in.

Edited by Red90

I want to make a topo map of a national park with routable trails based on gpx tracklogs I've recorded.

Using this guide, I've downloaded and converted contour and water data to .mp format and it all shows up great in GPSMapEdit. Now it's just a matter of putting it all together with my tracklog data.

I'm dealing with a 400 square mile, mountainous national park. At 40' increments, that's a LOT of contour data. Before I get too far into this, I'm trying to figure out how to set my levels.

Ideally, I'd like to set up my map similar (but a bit more simplified) to what Garmin does with its 24k mapset: Trails, 200 foot contours, lakes and streams showing up at one zoom (maybe 3 miles), and 40' contours showing up at narrower zoom in the 800' range.

The trouble is, I've read that routing works for lines assigned to the 24-bit level only. (See this guide on making routable maps) This causes some problems:

First, in GPSMapEdit, I can't get anything assigned to level 24 to show up until I'm zoomed in to about 500'. The program does not allow me to change the GPS zoom ranges associated with the levels (ex. Level 24's "GPS Zoom" value is frozen at 120 meters). If I can't assign a wider zoom to level 24, my routable trails won't show on my GPS until I'm zoomed way in. Is there a way around?

Second, even if I could get my level 24 trails to show at a wider zoom (say, 3 miles), because level 24 is the most detailed level, I can't make things like minor contour lines show up at a closer zoom (say, 800 feet). Is there a work around?

It would be a lot easier if I could just assign routable trails to level 20, but the guide above says it can't be done. Anybody disagree?

I'd really appreciate any help the mapping gurus can offer.

In GPSMapEdit, you can hit Ctrl+0 to make all levels show up, or Ctrl+1 for level 1 & up, Ctrl+2 for level 2, etc. To return to the default zoom, press . (period). Also, look at the "EndLevel" directive in cGPSMapper. That's how interstates show up at the 20 mile+ zoom.

Edited by SiliconFiend

Uing GPSMapEdit, I added a few test trails to my custom topo, assigned them to Levels 0, 1, and 2, and then generated the routing nodes. I tested the routing in MapEdit and it worked great. No luck after compiling, though. I get an error in MapSource, and all the device does is draw straight lines between my two waypoints (from a trailhead to a lake, both waypoints are directly on the routable trail).

I'm going to try recompiling just the trails, just on one level, and troubleshoot from there.

Here's another question. I want to add POI (peaks, ranger stations, lakes, whatever) to my topo map. I've downloaded a .txt file containing 1000s of geographic POI. How do I get those added to the map using MapEdit? I want them to display on the map and be searchable.

Uing GPSMapEdit, I added a few test trails to my custom topo, assigned them to Levels 0, 1, and 2, and then generated the routing nodes. I tested the routing in MapEdit and it worked great. No luck after compiling, though. I get an error in MapSource, and all the device does is draw straight lines between my two waypoints (from a trailhead to a lake, both waypoints are directly on the routable trail).

I'm going to try recompiling just the trails, just on one level, and troubleshoot from there.

You have to have the routable version of cGPSMapper, which costs ~$2800. Or, you could use MapCenter for free, if you don't mind sharing your maps. (Yeah, I didn't think you'd mind...)

Here's another question. I want to add POI (peaks, ranger stations, lakes, whatever) to my topo map. I've downloaded a .txt file containing 1000s of geographic POI. How do I get those added to the map using MapEdit? I want them to display on the map and be searchable.

I assume you mean geonames.org, or something similar... You'll have to find a way to translate that text file into Polish Map (.mp) format, or find someone who's already done it. If you're handy with programming, it's not difficult to do--the most time-consuming part is mapping all of the types in your source file to Garmin type codes.

You have to have the routable version of cGPSMapper, which costs ~$2800. Or, you could use MapCenter for free, if you don't mind sharing your maps. (Yeah, I didn't think you'd mind...)

I know that I have to use the MapCenter online compiler for routing. That's what I'm doing. Why would I mind sharing my topo map? The only problem with MapCenter is that you have to wait 24 hours to get your compiled map, which is kind of annoying when troubleshooting. Also, I'm cluttering up MapCenter with a bunch of junk test maps because you can't delete anything from the server.

You'll have to find a way to translate that text file into Polish Map (.mp) format

That's the question I'm asking. I need an application that will convert the POI txt file to something I can import to MapEdit (such as a shapefile). If there'a an application that does that conversion, and I import the POIs, will the POIs be searchable, or will they simply be visible on the map?

"That's the question I'm asking. I need an application that will convert the POI txt file to something I can import to MapEdit (such as a shapefile). If there'a an application that does that conversion, and I import the POIs, will the POIs be searchable, or will they simply be visible on the map?"

If the txt file has two columns for X Y coordinates then any mapping program should be able to produce a SHP file from it. I do that in Map Maker.