Is HamsterCaching making a comeback?

32 minutes ago, The Blorenges said:

Yes. It was a long time ago and I thought he might have redeemed himself by now but it seems he's still wandering in the wilderness, cocking his leg against random cactuses.

"Wow, wow, WOW! Oh, this is so much easier!"

- Professor Shelly Oberon (Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle)

I still read the forums daily, but I only post under this account when I have something to say using my player voice.

I have a lot to say when it comes to hamstercaching.  It's alive and well!  This weekend, I am transporting a large number of hamsters across state lines to Ohio.  They will be deposited in caches that are accessible only by kayak.  Is that inappropriate?  I figure that there is a water source nearby.

In addition, my avatar and signature line both continue to pay homage to this exciting and essential "side game."

11 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

I still read the forums daily, but I only post under this account when I have something to say using my player voice.

I have a lot to say when it comes to hamstercaching.  It's alive and well!  This weekend, I am transporting a large number of hamsters across state lines to Ohio.  They will be deposited in caches that are accessible only by kayak.  Is that inappropriate?  I figure that there is a water source nearby.

It's fine as long as each is wearing their own PFD.  They taking boating safety seriously in Ohio.

One does not choose hamstercaching.  Hamstercaching chooses you.

And tends to eat your geosnacks along the way.  Which is generally fine as long as said snacks are not, well, psychoactive.  That is one lesson I had to learn the hard way. But my experience with this problem was nothing compared to that of The Leprechauns.

• Funny 3

In Florida, particularly south Florida, hamstercaching is in decline. As I mentioned in the opening post of this thread, it's the issue of food in caches. 

As constrictors (pythons, boas) spread, their impact on hamster caches increases.   A reticulated python of merely average size can distort an ammo can enough to access the nice hamster within.  A real problem for the CO, another ammo can bites the dust.   And, admittedly, hard on the hamster. 

"Crystal Methamster" travel bug  - hm, I hadn't considered the TB option. I've only encountered them as a power source for gadget caches. Complex to own and maintain, but  sure garner the favorite points. 

"Hamsters as travel bugs" is a concept that's gained popularity as the size of the average geocache continues to shrink.  The hamsters appreciate the utility of the "took it to" log, preferring to be "dipped" in multiple caches before returning to the roomy environs of the current holder's home.  "Discover" logs on these trackables are popular at events, especially among the younger geocachers.

"Mark missing" logs provide a convenient way to memorialize the expiration of a hamster.  Which happens.

I do have one hamsterbug at my home that keeps getting dozens of logs saying "Greetings from Germany."  I guess he had a lot of friends there before I retrieved this hamster from a cache near my home.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Love 1

VERY nice to hear from Mrs B, I hope you and yours are well! Currently, I am in a place where HamsterCaching never really caught on (Fairbanks, AK) as hamsters have not learned to hibernate and a block heater for an ammo can is impractical. Some cheechako tried solar heating, I hear, but forgot that there is very little sunlight up here when it gets cold...

23 hours ago, Michaelcycle said:

VERY nice to hear from Mrs B, I hope you and yours are well! Currently, I am in a place where HamsterCaching never really caught on (Fairbanks, AK) as hamsters have not learned to hibernate and a block heater for an ammo can is impractical. Some cheechako tried solar heating, I hear, but forgot that there is very little sunlight up here when it gets cold...

Making the first recorded instance of hamsterciclecaching.