Is HamsterCaching making a comeback?

i feel cheated, since there are no hamsters in hawaii, is it okay to use a mongoose? we have lots of these and they are not too good for much of anything, since we have no snakes either.

I'm thinking you could do a gecko-cache in Hawaii. Don't you have those little guys there? They'd darn near fit into a micro!

Hey! That'd be so easy a cave man could do it.

A Contest for Hamstercachers (If there are any!)

This contest is open to everyone who enjoys Hamstercaching.

If you thought "what contest?" was a tough contest then this is the one you have been waiting for. If you haven't played any of the contests because they were all "too easy" then you may be up to this challenge. This contest is restricted to geocachers (at least one geocache find, finds using notes are fine) who have more than 10 Forum posts. Important: It does not matter if your geocache find contained a live hamster for you to be eligible.

You have to do a few things here.

You have to figure out the Christmas Caching Puzzle for starters. You may not be eligible but you still have to slog through the puzzle. Do not enter, just figure it out so you can check the page to see the information you need.

Then you need to read Mysterious Post #11 in that thread.

After reading that post then you can go find the owner of Trackable Item Number Nineteen being given away in the Christmas Caching Puzzle.

There are no further hints.

That is it.

If you can put hamsters to good use while geocaching then you can figure out who actually owns the nineteenth trackable item, I think.

Be sure you can confirm that you do indeed have the right geocacher by figuring out the "subtext contest" and checking things out. Only new Alberta geocachers are eligible for the "subtext contest".

Certain geocachers wll disqualify themselves and won't actually enter the Hamstercaching Contest. :)

You need to send me an email using my profile on geocaching.com

You need to provide one link to the owner of the nineteenth trackable item, it must be correct.

Post a message here that contains the line "I love hamsters" and include any type of a "hamster picture" when you send your email.

You must post a hamster picture here to be eligible.

Your post must contain the words "I love hamsters". You must not repost a hamster picture, it must be a new hamster picture, not one already posted on this thread.

I will leave this open for awhile to catch all the any hamsters I can, hamsters are everywhere once you start to look. Please let other hamstercachers know about this contest. Let's really raise hamster awareness to new heights.

When this contest closes I will make a draw from all the any eligible entries.

You are playing for a new unactivated Geocoin Club Geocoin and a GCC pathtag. The Geocoin Club is an club for Geocoin lovers and by joining the club you are getting a chance to own some of the lovely and popular geocoin club geocoins. The Geocoin Club is associated with my good friends at The Geocoin Store.

Hamster3.jpg

A Contest for Hamstercachers (If there are any!)

This contest is open to everyone who enjoys Hamstercaching.

REMEMBER - ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT HAMSTERNAPPING

If you thought "what contest?" was a tough contest then this is the one you have been waiting for. If you haven't played any of the contests because they were all "too easy" then you may be up to this challenge. This contest is restricted to geocachers (at least one geocache find, finds using notes are fine) who have more than 10 Forum posts. Important: It does not matter if your geocache find contained a live hamster for you to be eligible.

You have to do a few things here.

You have to figure out the Christmas Caching Puzzle for starters. You may not be eligible but you still have to slog through the puzzle. Do not enter, just figure it out so you can check the page to see the information you need.

Then you need to read Mysterious Post #11 in that thread.

After reading that post then you can go find the owner of Trackable Item Number Nineteen being given away in the Christmas Caching Puzzle.

There are no further hints.

That is it.

If you can put hamsters to good use while geocaching then you can figure out who actually owns the nineteenth trackable item, I think.

Certain geocachers wll disqualify themselves and won't actually enter the Hamstercaching Contest. :D

You need to send me an email using my profile on geocaching.com

You need to provide one link to the owner of the nineteenth trackable item, it must be correct.

Post a message here that contains the line "I love hamsters" and include any type of a "hamster picture" when you send your email.

You must post a hamster picture here to be eligible.

Your post must contain the words "I love hamsters". You must not repost a hamster picture, it must be a new hamster picture, not one already posted on this thread.

I will leave this open for awhile to catch all the any hamsters I can, hamsters are everywhere once you start to look. Please let other hamstercachers know about this contest. Let's really raise hamster awareness to new heights.

When this contest closes I will make a draw from all the any eligible entries.

You are playing for a new unactivated Geocoin Club Geocoin and a GCC pathtag. The Geocoin Club is an club for Geocoin lovers and by joining the club you are getting a chance to own some of the lovely and popular geocoin club geocoins. The Geocoin Club is associated with my good friends at The Geocoin Store.

REMEMBER - ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT HAMSTERNAPPING

Hamsternapping.jpg

Edited by wavector

Someone at work is trying to get rid of 4 hamsters. Anyone want to stock a new cache???? She's giving them away for free!!!

You should always charge money for hamsters.

If you don't they might be taken to be fed to snakes. (gulp)

Protect your fellow mammals, the squirrels and such*

*The same thing would apply to both bunnies and guinea pigs as well.

On a happier note...

Congratulations snowball58, I am impressed, you are the first person to come up with a correct answer. :D

Actually you are the only person who has actually found an answer at all. :)

I will let the Hamstercaching contest run for a little while longer, there must be other geocachers who could figure this out, especially with the instructions.

I like to keep folks up-dated with hamstercaching news from the U.K. and I'm pleased to say that two new hamster caches have been published recently:

Cornwall's first hamster cache.

Herman the Hamster's Houdini hideaway.

However, there's worrying news from France: It looks like that country is in need of some sustainable hamster caches...

France faces court for hamster neglect.

MrsB

I like to keep folks up-dated with hamstercaching news from the U.K. and I'm pleased to say that two new hamster caches have been published recently:

Cornwall's first hamster cache.

Herman the Hamster's Houdini hideaway.

Good for you guys! From what I've seen, at any rate, we have been very neglectful on this side of the pond. I sure hope that we hear better news from other parts of the U.S.

However, there's worrying news from France: It looks like that country is in need of some sustainable hamster caches...

France faces court for hamster neglect.

MrsB

I see that the article is reffering to not your ordinary cache hamster, but the Great Hamster of Alsace. The news is indeed serious, as you can tell by the worried look on this hamster's face:

685-3.jpg

Now, from what I hear, those hamsters are not about to take this neglect lying down. They have been gathering pitchforks and torches, and even getting bolders ready to launch from trebuchets:

Chomik_europejski.jpg

I am so glad someone bumped this thread. As a newbie to geocaching, I am very excited about this one. The kids will love it! But I am wondering if someone could tell me how to use the attributes to find only hamster caches in our area. Exactly what category does it fall under?

Being a Floridian I love the baby gator variation. Our family has been stopped by gators more than once on the way to a cache. But it never occured to any of us to put a gator IN a cache! Pure genius!

Edited by Pendragon Crew

I am so glad someone bumped this thread. As a newbie to geocaching, I am very excited about this one. The kids will love it! But I am wondering if someone could tell me how to use the attributes to find only hamster caches in our area. Exactly what category does it fall under?

Being a Floridian I love the baby gator variation. Our family has been stopped by gators more than once on the way to a cache. But it never occured to any of us to put a gator IN a cache! Pure genius!

Always good to find someone new excited by the prospect of HamsterCaching...

Unfortunately Groundspeak have not yet added a Hamster-friendly attribute for cache listings (it can only be a matter of time) so the best I can suggest is that you use "Hamster" in the Search by keyword.

You may also enjoy reading the (short-lived*) HamsterCaching forum, if you haven't already discovered it:

Groundspeak's HamsterCaching forum.

As for starting a regional variation of GatorCaching... :) ... I've no experience in gators, south Wales is sadly lacking in gators and crocs. However, I'm sure that the idea of reaching into an ammo can that contains a rather angry, trapped, baby gator would add a certain zest to the usual scrabble through the swag contents.

MrsB

*The forum, not the hamster.

(Snort) Someone came across a gator in a park on the other side of town, (pacific northwest) a few months ago and several people were convinced I put it there. Only because days earlier I had set a cache and made a comment that gators would make it more interesting.

I'm also willing to be there was a cache down the path a little ways...

I always forget to put air holes in the hamster cache container. :)

Always good to find someone new excited by the prospect of HamsterCaching...

Unfortunately Groundspeak have not yet added a Hamster-friendly attribute for cache listings (it can only be a matter of time) so the best I can suggest is that you use "Hamster" in the Search by keyword.

You may also enjoy reading the (short-lived*) HamsterCaching forum, if you haven't already discovered it:

Groundspeak's HamsterCaching forum.

As for starting a regional variation of GatorCaching... :) ... I've no experience in gators, south Wales is sadly lacking in gators and crocs. However, I'm sure that the idea of reaching into an ammo can that contains a rather angry, trapped, baby gator would add a certain zest to the usual scrabble through the swag contents.

MrsB

*The forum, not the hamster.

Might make the FTF race quite interesting, depending on the size container and gator.

Gator caching, the new sport?

Being a Floridian I love the baby gator variation.

It does sound nice, doesn't it? It was reported by a panhandle cacher, I haven't seen it in Central Florida, though the local variation is palmetto bug caching, and that I've seen several times.

The big ones can have the universal geocaching symbol painted on their wings. Makes handsome and locally flavorful swag!

a6e62932-7eaa-4544-9c5f-de467428ed18.jpg

gator caching could be exciting... (image by Clearwater Rob - he posts some outstanding log photos)

2d10b63d-cd89-423e-bdea-5194069c22c0.jpg

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Congratulations to snowball58

You are the proud owner of a new February 2007 Geocoin Club Geocoin and an original GCC pathtag. I will send you an email asking for your snail mail. Thanks for being so patient.

I didn't promise anyone a coin then not mail it, I just left these contests open for so long the coins are even rarer. Now that it is closed you will get your geocoin and pathtag quickly.

I think you know this, you are a previous winner and a very smart geocacher for figuring out who the hampster cacher was. I had to do a bit of a reread to make sure I had it all right.

Elves indeed.

It just goes to show you that the logical threads that exist in the database are very real.

Edited by wavector

I fear that yesterday's intense storms, causing local flooding and embedded with tornadoes may have drowned a good many hamsters in Florida. The spring Hamstercaching season being in full swing and all.

Does anyone have any salvage or restoration tips?

Thanks

Jumper cables don't work. (sigh) Stoopid hamsters! :ph34r:

name='Isonzo Karst' timestamp='1301655547' post='4667081']

I fear that yesterday's intense storms, causing local flooding and embedded with tornadoes may have drowned a good many hamsters in Florida. The spring Hamstercaching season being in full swing and all.

Thanks

hamsters-on-clothes-line-shopped-or-not.png[

Edited by JBnW

Thanks

Jumper cables don't work. (sigh) Stoopid hamsters! :ph34r:

Have you tried one of those toy train transformer?

lionel-transformer.jpg

They look high tech enough.

Ok, Ok... Hampsters? Really?

No, not really. A "Hampster" is where you put your dirty laundry. Well, technically, it's a trademarked brand name for one particular type of hamper... sort of like "Dumpster" vs. garbage bin.

Hampsters, being well-ventilated, make horrible cache containers. Although the ventilation could be handy if you are going to put a hamster in one.

Thanks

I read that some made it to safety...

hamsy.jpg

MrsB

Thanks

Sorry, the only thing you can do is go through the pockets and look for loose change...

Thanks

Hairdryer??!!??

Thanks

I read that some made it to safety...

hamsy.jpg

MrsB

That looks more like a Rattus norvegicus than a Mesocricetus auratus.

Thanks

Sorry, the only thing you can do is go through the pockets and look for loose change...

I suggest slow roasting while basting with garlic butter.:ph34r:

Thanks

I suggest slow roasting while basting with garlic butter.:ph34r:

Or, if you prefer a little spice, place a seeded jalapeno pepper in the cavity, wrap it with bacon, roll in an egg wash and flour, the deep fry till brown and crispy. Viola! Hamster-poppers!

place a seeded jalapeno pepper in the cavity, wrap it with bacon, roll in an egg wash and flour, the deep fry till brown and crispy. Viola! Hamster-poppers!

Hey, that sounds right tasty. I'd probably use a poblano, I've not followed the hotter then hot trend, myself. But thanks.

And thanks to all for some useful ideas.

In a few days, the "loose change" suggestion is probably going to represent the only reasonable option.

While we are on the topic; from another thread...

Hamster caching is kind of old school. I am going to try rabbit caching.

dscn6834.jpg

Think this will make decent swag. Maybe add a few more carrots incase there is a delay in publishing.

***This is intended as a joke. I will not be puting a rabbit in a cache.

1 hour ago, The Blorenges said:

Oh my... The names on this thread... Are they still out there caching?

It's time Hamstercaching made a come-back.

MrsB

This one was dug up from the archives!

I see a few that are somewhat active (to some extent) but very rarely visit the forums much any more - @Clan Riffster comes to mind immediately as do @The Leprechauns, @knowschad, and @Ambrosia.  @Isonzo Karst, @The Jester, and @NYPaddleCacher are still posting regularly while @fizzymagic pops in more frequently than the the first 4 listed.  I found a couple puzzles from @Western Mass Clan here in Indiana as they have/had family in the area but never got the opportunity to meet them. OK, 1 puzzle but the other one, which is still active, has been frustrating me for over 7 years now!

Edited by coachstahly
  • Helpful 1
16 minutes ago, coachstahly said:

This one was dug up from the archives!

I see a few that are somewhat active (to some extent) but very rarely visit the forums much any more - @Clan Riffster comes to mind immediately as do @The Leprechauns, @knowschad, and @Ambrosia.  @Isonzo Karst, @The Jester, and @NYPaddleCacher are still posting regularly while @fizzymagic pops in more frequently than the the first 4 listed.  I found a couple puzzles from @Western Mass Clan here in Indiana as they have/had family in the area but never got the opportunity to meet them. OK, 1 puzzle but the other one, which is still active, has been frustrating me for over 7 years now!

At least one in your list was banninated from the forums. (Bad dog!)

Good to see @The Blorenges   back here.

Edited by K13
4 minutes ago, K13 said:

At least one in your list was banninated from the forums. (Bad dog!)

Good to see @The Blorenges   back here.

Yes. It was a long time ago and I thought he might have redeemed himself by now but it seems he's still wandering in the wilderness, cocking his leg against random cactuses.

I'm just dropping by for a short visit - Hamstercaching called me back to the forums, I needed to check on a detail. :)

MrsB 

• Upvote 1