Is HamsterCaching making a comeback?

This has been covered in prior threads. For large micros and smalls, use white mice in lieu of hamsters. A side benefit: mice don't hurt so much when they bite you.

Since micro hamster caching has grown in popularity, it's time we had hamsters just for such caches. Therefore allow me to introduce the newest in hamster caching supplies.

needle_felted_australian_wombat_marsupial_dollhouse_micro_mini_tiny_doll_pet1-12th.JPG

small cache hamster*

hamster017pr2.jpg

micro cache hamster*

Order now while supplies last.

*Ask about our choice of colors.

I've been having a bit of trouble with micro caches. Anyone have a link to the proper folding method?

I have solved the small/micro problem. I have cross breed a Russian Dwarf Hamster with a Chineese Dwarf Hamster and have come up with this full grown midget that will fit in all cache containers, even a magnetic key holder if done slowly.

65551_f496.jpg

Cute little guy huh? If you would like some for your caches, please let me know.

Hamster caching gave me the idea of cat caching. I have way to many of them and needed to weed a few out. Now stuffing a cat in an ammo can isn't an easy job. You'll have better luck trying to brush their teeth. :D With the help of welders gloves I finally got him in there though. Here's a note for those that want to try this in the future, don't do what I did....make air holes BEFORE you put him in there. :D

I finally got the cache placed with just a little loss of blood on each side. However when the first cacher found it....not to good. :D Have you ever heard of the expression "Opening a box expecting a kitten to come out, but a wild cat jumped out instead"?

Anyways he made his way back home, and my life is now miserable. I'm also now on the FTF's ignore list. I think I'll take the cat hamster caching to make ammends. He'll like that.

El Diablo

After having trouble with the cats eating my hamsters, I resorted to this

wHmnKbFS.jpg

The cat gets air through the nipple and the hamsters in the cache are still safe.

A Contest for Hamstercachers

This contest is open to everyone who enjoys Hamstercaching.

If you thought "what contest?" was a tough contest then this is the one you have been waiting for. If you haven't played any of the contests because they were all "too easy" then you may be up to this challenge. This contest is restricted to geocachers (at least one geocache find, finds using notes are fine) who have more than 10 Forum posts. Important: It does not matter if your geocache find contained a live hamster for you to be eligible.

You have to do a few things here.

You have to figure out the Christmas Caching Puzzle for starters. You may not be eligible but you still have to slog through the puzzle. Do not enter, just figure it out so you can check the page to see the information you need.

Then you need to read Mysterious Post #11 in that thread.

After reading that post then you can go find the owner of Trackable Item Number Nineteen being given away in the Christmas Caching Puzzle.

There are no further hints.

That is it.

If you can put hamsters to good use while geocaching then you can figure out who actually owns the nineteenth trackable item, I think.

Be sure you can confirm that you do indeed have the right geocacher by figuring out the "subtext contest" and checking things out. Only new Alberta geocachers are eligible for the "subtext contest".

Certain geocachers wll disqualify themselves and won't actually enter the Hamstercaching Contest. :unsure:

You need to send me an email using my profile on geocaching.com

You need to provide one link to the owner of the nineteenth trackable item, it must be correct.

Post a message here that contains the line "I love hamsters" and include any type of a "hamster picture" when you send your email.

You must post a hamster picture here to be eligible.

Your post must contain the words "I love hamsters". You must not repost a hamster picture, it must be a new hamster picture, not one already posted on this thread.

I will leave this open for awhile to catch all the hamsters I can, hamsters are everywhere once you start to look. Please let other hamstercachers know about this contest. Let's really raise hamster awareness to new heights.

When this contest closes I will make a draw from all the eligible entries.

You are playing for a new unactivated Geocoin Club Geocoin and a GCC pathtag. The Geocoin Club is an club for Geocoin lovers and by joining the club you are getting a chance to own some of the lovely and popular geocoin club geocoins. The Geocoin Club is associated with my good friends at The Geocoin Store.

Here is a picture of what you are playing for - February 2007 You will go geocaching GCC Geocoin & GCC Pathtag

TheHamstercachingPrize.jpg

Edited by wavector

ROFL (The hamster, not me)

There is a really good hint for "what contest?" posted over in the Win a geocoin thread in the Geocoin Discussion forum. If you look at the latest geocoin that I have posted for the contest giveaway the hint is there. Thanks bobbarley. There are no hints for those who are hamstercaching, they should be able to find another player with the very good clues posted in mysterious Post #11.

This hamster is cracking up, apparently this is a hahahahahamster!

HamsterROFL.jpg

Edited by wavector

The only downside to Hamster Caching is that if someone placed a hamster in a cache and no one has gone to get it in 2 weeks they become very unsociable.

I found this little guy in a cache and it took a long time before he warmed up to me. I found him in a Ammo can with only about 1 day left of food and very little water. He is still afraid of the dark and hates to be left alone still.

His name is CHUCKY.....

1048721-2-what-are-you-looking-at.jpg

Edited by genegene

wait... so i'm legitimately confused. you put a hamster in a geocaching container and wait for people to find him? despite the cold and the rain and the total lack of humanitarian-ness of it? please tell me i've got it wrong, i think i'm going to have nightmares tonight!

Following a few simple common-sense rules can ensure a happy and safe hamstercaching experience, even in adverse weather conditions.

57636_3200.jpg

Is it acceptable to hide a hamster cache in a microwave? Seems like a good way to keep the hamster warm during cold months.

Reminds me of an old Robin Williams skit.

"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. dadgum, someone stole my sneakers. We're going to try some experiments today that you can do around the house. Lets put Mr. Hamster in the microwave. He knows where he's going. Pop goes the weasel!"

I am considering purchasing one of those travel bug thingies. I saw the HamsterCaching thread and it got me thinking......would it be ok for me to put my hamster into a peanut butter jar and then attach my travel bug and send it on it's way?

I've got a "Sams Club" sized jar and I thought I could leave a little peanut butter inside for the hamster to eat while he is on his adventure.

Thoughts :rolleyes:<_<

It might work. Size is important.

293037dIkH_w.jpg

MrsB

(HamsterCache Promoter for the UK)

I'm pretty sure what you've got in that jar is a Guinea Pig. Totally different sport. Need a lot bigger caches to do that. I think that's why Hamster Caches caught on and not Guinea Pig Caches. Plus Guinea Pigs make a high squealing sound, making it harder to conceal the caches and making them more likely to be muggled. Hamsters do not squeal, making for stealthy caches.

I am considering purchasing one of those travel bug thingies. I saw the HamsterCaching thread and it got me thinking......would it be ok for me to put my hamster into a peanut butter jar and then attach my travel bug and send it on it's way?

I've got a "Sams Club" sized jar and I thought I could leave a little peanut butter inside for the hamster to eat while he is on his adventure.

Thoughts :D:D

It might work. Size is important.

293037dIkH_w.jpg

MrsB

(HamsterCache Promoter for the UK)

I'm pretty sure what you've got in that jar is a Guinea Pig. Totally different sport. Need a lot bigger caches to do that. I think that's why Hamster Caches caught on and not Guinea Pig Caches. Plus Guinea Pigs make a high squealing sound, making it harder to conceal the caches and making them more likely to be muggled. Hamsters do not squeal, making for stealthy caches.

:D

No! Do you think so? I've been conned then!

I've got 3 dozen of the little blighters caged up in the garage... I was all ready to set another couple of dozen hamster caches around here. (With a few as spares, "just in case", y'know?)

Now you mention it, I thought they were a bit on the chunky side, but the breeder assured me that they were just "well fattened-up prior to winter".

They'll all be going back for refunds in the morning :D

MrsB

With no hamsters available, and the import of hamsters to Hawaii illegal, you'll have to make do with what is locally available.

I do think that if you go with mongoose caching, you really ought to identify it as such. Don't call it hamstercaching. You have so many vacationing visitors, they're apt to be surprised/disappointed by a mongoose in a cache, if they were expecting a hamster. On the other hand, identifying mongoose as the unique local flavor of hamstercaching would add charm and ambiance to the experience, I'm sure.

I have tried on more than one occasion to put hunster into an ammo can or other larger container, but I just cannot get him to sit still long enough. It's no wonder he's got over 9400 finds and cached all lower 48 in just three years! Any suggestions?

He barely sits long enough to snap the requisite pics for earthcaches!5cc72742-7624-47e8-9ebf-6c5a7d927aa1.jpg

Ooooh, this is hamstercaching...... never mind :ninja::grin:

Edited by wimseyguy

For those of you with a surplus of hamsters and cannot go caching, you can always beautify your garden.

Blend the hamsters to an even mix, add 1lb of sugar to every 1lb of hamsters (fur on) and boil for 15 minutes. Take the resulting syrup and spread over a cleared flowerbed. By Spring you should have a glorious display of

flowers.

muti-hued-tulips.jpg

I've found you can get lovely Tulips from Hamsterjam. :laughing:

With no hamsters available, and the import of hamsters to Hawaii illegal, you'll have to make do with what is locally available.

I do think that if you go with mongoose caching, you really ought to identify it as such. Don't call it hamstercaching. You have so many vacationing visitors, they're apt to be surprised/disappointed by a mongoose in a cache, if they were expecting a hamster. On the other hand, identifying mongoose as the unique local flavor of hamstercaching would add charm and ambiance to the experience, I'm sure.

With the current state of our educational system, I suspect a lot of them wouldn't know the difference. :laughing:

It's really great to see all these informative posts regarding HamsterCaching and its variant developments at different locations.

However, being a bit of a purist, I will stick with the traditional hamstercache.

I hope all you folks are going to follow my New Year resolution, too...

"Come rain or come shine,

Create a HamsterCache in 2009!"

MrsB

WeaselCaching? Except that you should take them out on Weasel Stomping Day, or you'll have to get new ones.

Faces filled with joy and cheer

What a magical time of year

Howdy Ho! It's Weasel Stomping Day

Put your Viking helmet on

Spread that mayonaisse on the lawn

Don't you know it's Weasel Stomping Day

All the little girls and boys

Love that wonderful crunching noise

You'll know what this day's about

When you stomp a weasel's guts right out

So, come along and have a laugh

Snap their weasely spines in half

Grap your boots and stomp your cares away

Hip hip hooray, it's Weasel Stomping Day

(Sounds of weasels getting stomped on, with bone-crunching and rodent-screeching effects)

People up and down the street

Crushing weasels beneath their feet

Why we do it, who can say?

But it's such a festive holiday

So let the stomping fun begin

Bash their weasely skulls right in

It's tradition, that makes it okay

Hey everyone, it's Weasel Stomping

We'll have some fun on Weasel Stomping

Put down your gun, it's Weasel Stomping Day

Hip Hip Hooray, it's Weasel Stomping Day

Weasel Stomping Day

Hey!

(Weasel Stomping Day by Weird Al Yankovitch)

A Contest for Hamstercachers

This contest is open to everyone who enjoys Hamstercaching.

If you thought "what contest?" was a tough contest then this is the one you have been waiting for. If you haven't played any of the contests because they were all "too easy" then you may be up to this challenge. This contest is restricted to geocachers (at least one geocache find, finds using notes are fine) who have more than 10 Forum posts. Important: It does not matter if your geocache find contained a live hamster for you to be eligible.

You have to do a few things here.

You have to figure out the Christmas Caching Puzzle for starters. You may not be eligible but you still have to slog through the puzzle. Do not enter, just figure it out so you can check the page to see the information you need.

Then you need to read Mysterious Post #11 in that thread.

After reading that post then you can go find the owner of Trackable Item Number Nineteen being given away in the Christmas Caching Puzzle.

There are no further hints.

That is it.

If you can put hamsters to good use while geocaching then you can figure out who actually owns the nineteenth trackable item, I think.

Be sure you can confirm that you do indeed have the right geocacher by figuring out the "subtext contest" and checking things out. Only new Alberta geocachers are eligible for the "subtext contest".

Certain geocachers wll disqualify themselves and won't actually enter the Hamstercaching Contest. :cry:

You need to send me an email using my profile on geocaching.com

You need to provide one link to the owner of the nineteenth trackable item, it must be correct.

Post a message here that contains the line "I love hamsters" and include any type of a "hamster picture" when you send your email.

You must post a hamster picture here to be eligible.

Your post must contain the words "I love hamsters". You must not repost a hamster picture, it must be a new hamster picture, not one already posted on this thread.

I will leave this open for awhile to catch all the hamsters I can, hamsters are everywhere once you start to look. Please let other hamstercachers know about this contest. Let's really raise hamster awareness to new heights.

When this contest closes I will make a draw from all the any eligible entries.

If you know which elf hides caches and you know who Mark of Question # 1 fame in the Christmas Caching Puzzle is then you just have to cross reference the logs of the 30 elf trads against the logs of 21 mysterys hidden by Mark, take all the common finders and eliminate those who joined before September of last year and that should yield a "short list" for the owner of trackable item number nineteen. Compare the profiles on the "short list" to the profile that is referenced in the "subtext contest" to ensure you are right and voila, the geocoin and the matching pathtag are almost yours. Hint, heck no, that there is directions.

Is there a GSAK macro for this?

Did anyone else see a wombat?

Look at this little hamster, how cute is that?

BabyHamster.jpg

Edited by wavector

i feel cheated, since there are no hamsters in hawaii, is it okay to use a mongoose? we have lots of these and they are not too good for much of anything, since we have no snakes either.

I'm thinking you could do a gecko-cache in Hawaii. Don't you have those little guys there? They'd darn near fit into a micro!

A humane hamster cacher always puts their hamster in an extra large container. It is also a good idea to leave a lot food and water.

However, there is one drawback to all the food and space to grow, if the cache isn't found for a few months...

The lucky FTF! :D

Wombat%20II.jpg

:angry:

OH WOW!!!! That looks like my mother-in-law!!!! (not the one with the white hair......the ONE WITH THE BROWN HAIR!!!)