IS GC'IN GOOD SCHOOL ACTIVITY

THEHIWAYMAN

HI MY NAME IS TIM AND IM BRAND NEW TO GC'IN, IM REALLY HAVIN FUN WITH IT AND I AM HEADING TO ARIZONA AND PLAN ON HAVIN ALOT OF DESERT FUN.

ILL GET TO MY QUESTION, MY WIFE IS A PRESCHOOL TEACHER AND THE SCHOOL SHE IS AT HAS A SUMMER PROGRAM ONE OF THE OTHER TEACHERS HAS HEARD ABOUT GC'N FROM MY WIFE AND IS ALL SET TO GET INTO IT WITH HER SUMMER CLASS OF 11 OR 12 KIDS...

NOW, MY KIDS ARE LIKEING THE GC'N VERY MUCH AS WELL BUT WE HAVE TALKED ABOUT THE RULES AND THE IMPORTANCE OF RESPECTING THEM TO PRESERVE THE SPORT FOR OTHERS...

I STARTED AN ARGUMENT BY SAYING THAT I THINK THAT CACHEING WITH 12 KIDS MAY NOT BE A GOOD IDEA CAUSE THEY WONT KNOW, RESPECT OR CARE ABOUT THE RULES AND POSSIBLY RUIN A CACHE...I WAS THINKING ABOUT A CACHE WE FOUND THAT WAS 50 FEET FROM A SWIMMIN HOLE FILLED WITH MUGGLERS WE HAD TO GO INTO STEALTH MODE... AND MISSION ACCOMPLISHED :ph34r:

I KNOW THIS IS A SPORT FOR EVERYONE AND ITS GREAT FOR KIDS BUT IM NOT SURE IF THAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO... AS I SAID IM A NEWBY AND WITH AS FEW A FINDS AS I HAVE I DONT HAVE THE EXPIRIENCE TO SAY EITHER WAY... SO I FIGURED I WOULD PUT THIS OUT THERE AND GET EVERYONES OPINIONS....

THE TEACHER CAN DO WHAT SHE WANTS I GUESS BUT IF I CAN SWAY HER ILL DO MY PART...

SO WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

First, minor point of ediquette ... please turn off that CAPS LOCK key. Typing everything in CAPS is consider to be the equivalent of yelling at those who are reading ...

With that said, I know of several teachers as well as group houseparents locally who go caching with groups of kids and there is rarely a problem. The kids have to be told the rules and agree to abide by them or else you just don't take them.

As a good teacher, I would think they would carefully select the caches to which they planned to take the children in advance. Otherwise, you'd never know what you might encounter, what dangers might exist, the terrain or natural obstacles or poisonous plants that might exist, or if indeed the cache is even in place.

So, if they do a little pre-selection of caches including going out on their own in advance and finding the cache (to insure it's in place and perhaps even stocked with a few appropriate trinkets that the kids can then "trade" for), insuring that it's in a safe and accessible location, insuring that it's in a location to which they can bring 11 or 12 excited kids without disclosing the cache to the world, etc. it would a great adventure.

A nice stroll on a nature trail or simple hike out of prying eyes and not too far off the trail should do the trick. An urban-micro next to a street sign? Probably not so much ...

-jk

HI MY NAME IS TIM AND IM BRAND NEW TO GC'IN, IM REALLY HAVIN FUN WITH IT AND I AM HEADING TO ARIZONA AND PLAN ON HAVIN ALOT OF DESERT FUN.

ILL GET TO MY QUESTION, MY WIFE IS A PRESCHOOL TEACHER AND THE SCHOOL SHE IS AT HAS A SUMMER PROGRAM ONE OF THE OTHER TEACHERS HAS HEARD ABOUT GC'N FROM MY WIFE AND IS ALL SET TO GET INTO IT WITH HER SUMMER CLASS OF 11 OR 12 KIDS...

NOW, MY KIDS ARE LIKEING THE GC'N VERY MUCH AS WELL BUT WE HAVE TALKED ABOUT THE RULES AND THE IMPORTANCE OF RESPECTING THEM TO PRESERVE THE SPORT FOR OTHERS...

I STARTED AN ARGUMENT BY SAYING THAT I THINK THAT CACHEING WITH 12 KIDS MAY NOT BE A GOOD IDEA CAUSE THEY WONT KNOW, RESPECT OR CARE ABOUT THE RULES AND POSSIBLY RUIN A CACHE...I WAS THINKING ABOUT A CACHE WE FOUND THAT WAS 50 FEET FROM A SWIMMIN HOLE FILLED WITH MUGGLERS WE HAD TO GO INTO STEALTH MODE... AND MISSION ACCOMPLISHED :ph34r:

I KNOW THIS IS A SPORT FOR EVERYONE AND ITS GREAT FOR KIDS BUT IM NOT SURE IF THAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO... AS I SAID IM A NEWBY AND WITH AS FEW A FINDS AS I HAVE I DONT HAVE THE EXPIRIENCE TO SAY EITHER WAY... SO I FIGURED I WOULD PUT THIS OUT THERE AND GET EVERYONES OPINIONS....

THE TEACHER CAN DO WHAT SHE WANTS I GUESS BUT IF I CAN SWAY HER ILL DO MY PART...

SO WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

Starbrand's suggestion is a good one too ... when I did a teaching session for a local scout troop, I setup a bunch of temporary caches at the scout camp where they were camping for the weekend, showed them what to do and then set then loose to give it a whirl.

I relied on the generosity of local cachers who came thru with a bunch of ammo cans, decons, and other suitable containers for temporary use to support the effort.

-jk

When I show groups of kids about Geocaching - I usually just setup a few temp caches for fun and learning.

Sorry for yelling, Ok those are all good ideas, and Im getting the drift that getting the kids into GC'n is a good thing and I agree that it would be great fun and excitement for the kids, I think I will set up a few caches locally around my home we have the perfect forest for it...as I said I am new to GC'n and did not want them or myself to break any GC'n rules written or un written... KINDA LIKE YELLIN WITH CAPS...

I will let the teacher know that she should really research the rules and make them known to the kids,before she get out with the GPS.

Thanks for your help

I have two boys in elementary school, and have created a geocache specifically for them close to the school. I spoke with both of their teachers, and explained the whole geocaching thing to them. I created a GC account for the kids, and have that account watching the cache.

I also have launched several travel bugs that are all linked from the cache page. The kids really like logging on to GC and watching their Travel Bugs moving. The teachers actually review the places that the bugs have traveled to, so there's a bit of geography as a side benefit.

I have even heard of the kids "dragging" their parents to the cache to show them.

The cache I created is called "Counting by 2s", and here's the link http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC15HE7

-Chris

GeoMire