60CSx won't hide map families, only individual maps

Howdy,

I reloaded my laptop, reinstalled MapSource 6.13.7, Topo, City

Navigator, etc., and decided to update my 60CSx to the latest chipset

and unit software (3.00/3.60). Somewhere along the way I lost the

ability to hide/show entire map families like I used to be able to

(2nd menu button), doing it to individual maps works fine (1st menu

button) but is incredibly tedious when City Navigator is listed BELOW

about 50 topo maps that you have to scroll through. Argh!

In my troubleshooting I have reinstalled MapSource, gone backward and

forward through three different chipset & unit software combinations,

removed the MicroSD card and reformatted it, tried just one or two

very simple maps, I just can't get most entire map families to hide

anymore. I click hide and nothing happens, it still says hide on the

same map family.

I noticed I now have an "Americas Marine Point Basemap, , Jan 2001"

that I don't recall having before. I'm not aware the 60CSx had this

particular basemap, but I could just have not noticed before. Even

with no MicroSD card in the unit I often can't hide that particular

basemap and I wonder if that's the root of my problem. Going backward

and forward through several chipset/unit firmwares have not removed it

though if it shouldn't be there. Does anyone else with a 60CSx see

this particular basemap?

I'm going to call Garmin support tomorrow and see what they think.

Just wondered if anyone else had any ideas before I called them.

Thanks!

Aaron

I am running 3.60/3.00 with 5 states of City Nav and 10 segments of Topo 24k. I have no problem hiding map families. I have never seen that Americas Marine Point Basemap.

If this problem started happening after upgrading firmware, then there's a good chance the problem is related to the upgrade. Did you have a microsd card installed when updating? I've read in other posts that this can cause problems. Maybe try giving your device a hard reset and then reinstalling the firmware?

The very first thing I would do is call Garmin.

Try this, go to the Map Setup page. There are several icons on the top of the page, scroll to the left or right until the one with the small letter"i" in the blue circle is highlighted, the top of the page should read Map Setup - Information. Now hit the Menu button. The families should be listed on this page.

I am running 3.60/3.00 with 5 states of City Nav and 10 segments of Topo 24k. I have no problem hiding map families. I have never seen that Americas Marine Point Basemap.

If this problem started happening after upgrading firmware, then there's a good chance the problem is related to the upgrade. Did you have a microsd card installed when updating? I've read in other posts that this can cause problems. Maybe try giving your device a hard reset and then reinstalling the firmware?

The very first thing I would do is call Garmin.

Yeah, I did a hard reset and even went back and forwards with three older firmware versions with and without the MicroSD card, even formatted the MicroSD card in Windows, no fix. I think this one will take a phone call... sigh...

Just to confirm, do you have a 60CSx and Americas Marine Point Basemap does NOT appear with 3.60/3.00?

Edited by aaronpriest

Try this, go to the Map Setup page. There are several icons on the top of the page, scroll to the left or right until the one with the small letter"i" in the blue circle is highlighted, the top of the page should read Map Setup - Information. Now hit the Menu button. The families should be listed on this page.

Yup, the families are listed, but nothing listed beneath Americas Marine Point Basemap can be hid. The individual maps in the previous menu can be, but when you've got 50 topos above a City Navigator, it's rather cumbersome to scroll all the way down and disable the single Navigator map I've got to see the topos. I used to be able to hide the entire families in that 2nd menu screen you are referring to. What concerns me most is that Americas Marine Point Basemap sometimes cannot be hid even with no MicroSD card in at all. I'll post whatever turns up after I call Garmin support. I have a hunch that Americas Marine Point Basemap should not be listed on a 60CSx and it's derailing anything listed below it, but I'm not sure...

I have a hunch that Americas Marine Point Basemap should not be listed on a 60CSx and it's derailing anything listed below it, but I'm not sure...

Do you have show all, hide all options? can you use them to hide all and then show the map you need to see?

Not sure about the americas marine basemap as I have it in my 60csx to, it has always been there.

I have a hunch that Americas Marine Point Basemap should not be listed on a 60CSx and it's derailing anything listed below it, but I'm not sure...

Do you have show all, hide all options? can you use them to hide all and then show the map you need to see?

Not sure about the americas marine basemap as I have it in my 60csx to, it has always been there.

Well, I called Garmin support and they had never seen this issue before. They are going to have the engineering team look into it and get back in touch with me. Hopefully I won't have to send the unit in for repair.

I guess the Americas Marine Point Basemap is supposed to be on the 60CSx, I must never have noticed it before.

v2lek, to confirm, yes I have the show all, hide all options in the menu, but it seems that anything listed underneath Americas Marine Point Basemap cannot be hid. Not as far as hide all, only the individual maps in the previous screen can be hid, which is rather cumbersome to scroll through with 50+ topos in there.

Just to confirm, do you have a 60CSx and Americas Marine Point Basemap does NOT appear with 3.60/3.00?

I have a 60csx running 3.60/3.00. I do not recall ever seeing an Americas Marine Point Basemap. I can't absolutely confirm this without checking my device - maybe I've just never noticed it.

You should have a "Hide City Navigator" or "Hide Topo" option listed in the submenu (I think you know the menu I'm talking about, but just to be sure - from the map page, press "menu", select "setup", toggle over to the little "i" symbol, press "menu" again). Are these options listed but don't work, or are the options not listed at all? Either way, this is a strange occurance.

Are these options listed but don't work, or are the options not listed at all? Either way, this is a strange occurance.

The options are listed, but they no longer work. I click hide, but it never does... it still says hide and remains visible. I've not yet talked to one person that has Americas Marine Point Basemap showing up on a 60CSx even though Garmin tech support thought it was there by default. I think he was confused with the 76 series.

FINAL UPDATE:

Well, Garmin support couldn't figure out this unique issue on the phone either. In the end, I paid to send it back for service/repair, and they couldn't fix it either, so they shipped a replacement refurb back with a 90-day warranty that is working just fine! The original was 2yrs past its warranty, so overall I am pleased with the result. They shipped the replacement promptly after not being able to repair the original.