New GPSr after 2 years

Hey guys!

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I was hoping you could help me out. I have a Lowrance iFinder GO2 and am fed up with it. I have a little over $300 to spend; so I guess I can't get anything too fancy? My question: What should I look at getting? All I really want is something that locks a signal quick and hooks up to the PC so I can use my GPX files. Extra bells and whistles are nice, but not necessary by any means.

Thanks for your time! :ph34r:

With a budget of $300 your best way out is the garmin gpsmap 60csx. Toplisted device with all required and fancy features. Best signal reception compared with the little fellows of Garmin.

Maps, tracks, waypoints and routes can be up/downloaded through a USB connection.

Must have!

Regards,

weedboer

Maps are the key in my mind. For maps only consider units with expanadable memory.

Four units come to mind, 3 - Garmins ( GPSMAP 60/76 & eTrex Vista HCx ) and the DeLorme PN-20. Both the HCx and the DeLorme can be had with US Topo maps for your $300. That same $300 will only buy the 60/76 GPSr.

Maps are the key in my mind. For maps only consider units with expanadable memory.

Four units come to mind, 3 - Garmins ( GPSMAP 60/76 & eTrex Vista HCx ) and the DeLorme PN-20. Both the HCx and the DeLorme can be had with US Topo maps for your $300. That same $300 will only buy the 60/76 GPSr.

That's true for the 60CSx, but check out prices on the 76CSx. $250 from Amazon.

That same $300 will only buy the 60/76 GPSr.

That's true for the 60CSx, but check out prices on the 76CSx. $250 from Amazon.
Good find, leads me to believe the 60/76 will soon be replaced with new models using the new STM Cartesio chipset. This is the same chipset in the Nuvi 2x5's and the DeLorme PN-40. Both are a bit "long in the tooth" as e-gadgets go.

If you see noticable price drops in the 60/76, then the new models will be sooner rather than later.

Hey guys!

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I was hoping you could help me out. I have a Lowrance iFinder GO2 and am fed up with it. I have a little over $300 to spend; so I guess I can't get anything too fancy? . . .

I would recommend getting either the Legend HCx or Vista HCx and the City Navigator auto-routing maps. That will just about fit into your $300 budget. I have the Vista HCx and prefer it to the 60CSx.

The ability to host top quality maps is not important for most geocaching. I really don't use them for such.

If you do other things for which maps are important, I suggest considering DeLorme as it has the best topographic map functionality. However, although no pricing has been published as yet, I expect that the new DeLorme PN-40 will come in above their PN-20 which is now at $299, your borderline.