Google Maps a killer app on the iPhone?

It seems that the combination of Google Maps on the new iPhone could be a killer app. I can see detailed street maps of Quito, Ecuador on Google maps, but nothing is availabe from Garmin for my city for my Legend HCx. Could it be that my buddy with his new iPhone can get autorouting before I do?

Any comments?

It seems that the combination of Google Maps on the new iPhone could be a killer app. I can see detailed street maps of Quito, Ecuador on Google maps, but nothing is availabe from Garmin for my city for my Legend HCx. Could it be that my buddy with his new iPhone can get autorouting before I do?

Any comments?

The iPhone (gen 1 or gen 2) has Google Maps as long as you're within cell service. There's no map storage on the iPhone itself. So, once you're outside town, your GPS will at least give you lat/lon. Gen 2 iPhone will presumably give the same from the GPS chipset. Gen 1 iphone gives you no positional awareness.

Gen 1 iphone gives you no positional awareness.

Wrong. Gen 1 give you cel phone tower triangulation. Jailbroken phones with LocateMe or Navizon. Navizon and a license gives enhanced triangulation via WiFi ap's and cel tower triangulation. Even better if your area has been heavily mapped with Windows Mobile devices with GPS capabilities. Not good enough to cache with, but mighty handy for local searches...

Also there is at least one program on installer.app that allows you to save maps locally (on the iPhone). Have no need of it myself, so haven't tried it. I doubt an Appstore version will be forthcoming, but who knows...

Edited by oneeyesquare

Also there is at least one program on installer.app that allows you to save maps locally (on the iPhone). Have no need of it myself, so haven't tried it. I doubt an Appstore version will be forthcoming, but who knows...

I can confirm the maps offline app for a jailbroken iPod Touch works great... Ican clean out my cache, pan around an area I want, zoom in and out... pan some more... and then save the new Google Maps cache with a name... Then when I am out walking, and want to see a satellite view of the area I'm in... I just load the cached map for London and there it all is... makes the google maps thing on the tiny iPod screen a whole lot more useful....

Al...

Wrong. Gen 1 give you cel phone tower triangulation. Jailbroken phones with LocateMe or Navizon. Navizon and a license gives enhanced triangulation via WiFi ap's and cel tower triangulation. Even better if your area has been heavily mapped with Windows Mobile devices with GPS capabilities. Not good enough to cache with, but mighty handy for local searches...

Did you even read my entire post? Like sentence #1, maybe? Or the one a couple sentences before the one you quoted, which, if you read the whole thing, you'd figure out that at that point I was talking about when you're outside cell service?

Edited by JSWilson64

Did you even read my entire post? Like sentence #1, maybe? Or the one a couple sentences before the one you quoted, which, if you read the whole thing, you'd figure out that at that point I was talking about when you're outside cell service?

Actually, I thought I quoted your statement and replied quite well...

I even read your whole post. Suprise. Me smart boy. Me can read. Me correct your assertion.

Shall I restate that Gen1 phones DO have positional awareness in the form of cel tower/WiFi AP triangulation built into the Google maps app or added on through installer.app with Navizon or LocateMe? Not very accurate, but positional awareness, none the less.

Simple as that. Sorry I corrected you.... :D

Edited to add: If you had phrased it "Without the cel signal, Gen1 iPhone gives you no positional awareness" or "Gen1 would give you no positional awareness" I would have better been able to grasp your "context". Otherwise, it's tricky to catch the drift the way you wrote it. Either your a bad writer or I'm a dim bulb, but I think I already know which way you'll choose... :D

Just talk real slow and don't wave your arms around to much. It distracts me....

Edited by oneeyesquare

Like I said-Not exactly accurate! :D Mine through Google maps puts me about 10 miles south of my house. It's does its best by freeways in the area.

I'm running a pro license with Navizon and I have mapped all the surrounding areas with my Glofiish x500+, so it actually does a pretty good job of locating me. YMMV

I'm still torn on the new one. The GPS would be nice... especially if someone writes a good caching program! We just went out today with our Glofiish's. They work OK with Beeline, but you can't see the screen worth a toot in direct sunlight. The iPhone is fully viewable. It's those extra data charges and need to buy 200 text messages (they did a good job creating a "need" by including the free ones in the Gen1 data package). That and spending another $400 to replace two perfectly good phones... :D

Edited by oneeyesquare

My iPod Touch, however, locates me in a Dallas, TX suburb while I'm sitting in my office in Laramie, WY. There seem to be some problems with location by wi-fi triangulation.

Welcome to Texas!

Too late, this afternoon it thinks its in Seattle.