Switching to Windows Vista

I'm planning to get my own computer and move all my geocaching stuff off of my parents' computer. I'm currently using an etrex Legend, and the programs I use are GSAK and Garmin Mapsource version 5.4. The computer I'm using now runs Windows XP, and all these programs work fine.

It looks like I'll have to get a USB-to-serial adaptor when I switch computers. Has anyone had any problems making these work with Vista? Or any problems with GSAK or Mapsource? I don't want to buy a new computer until I'm sure that everything is compatible. Thanks!

I needed a laptop real quick recently, so I had to get one with Vista Home Premium, SP1. It came fully loaded with lot of stuff at a very low price. So far, I am liking it. Someone in another topic asked, so I tested my Belkin USB to Serial adapter, with my old Garmin with the Serial cable. It worked great with 3 programs, GSAK, G7ToWin, and GPSBabel. This Belkin adapter was several years old, but their web site has a Vista driver.

It sounds like it should all be OK with the stuff I'm using. Thanks for the replies!

Do you do paperless caching? Cachemate? Not sure if they fixed it but before you could not do the Quick Install to your Palm device.

I think Vista S U C K S ! YES............I have said this before, and there are people that love it and people that do not.

After the old XP laptop died I got a Vista. Paid 200 bucks to get the XP fixed. All my geocaching is on the old XP.

I'm planning to get my own computer and move all my geocaching stuff off of my parents' computer. I'm currently using an etrex Legend, and the programs I use are GSAK and Garmin Mapsource version 5.4. The computer I'm using now runs Windows XP, and all these programs work fine.

It looks like I'll have to get a USB-to-serial adaptor when I switch computers. Has anyone had any problems making these work with Vista? Or any problems with GSAK or Mapsource? I don't want to buy a new computer until I'm sure that everything is compatible. Thanks!

Your version of MapSource is quite old. The update is a free download here. Note that the newer versions don't support real time tracking, for that you would need nRoute, also a free download.

I just check my version of Mapsource and it is 6.13.7. This is the current version.

I have the latest version of GSAK as well. Very easy to get.

I did run Palm desktop (or what ever it is called) till I fell and broke my Z22. I had cachemate on it.

Hope this helps

kf4oox - Paul

Be careful which version of VISTA you get. There are 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Many companies do not yet have 64-bit drivers available.

Palm has no drivers for 64-bit Vista, and only a few for 32-bit. That caused Cachemate problems for me.

I had a Palm Zire 21 that had lost it's name and need a hot sync to reestablish that name.

I had to have someone give me a hot sync jump and now I have to load Cachemate files directly to the SD card for the PDA.

Other than that, I love the 64-bit Vistas OS. It is extremely stable.