Ten Commandments Of Geocaching

maldar

I have receive some emails about this issue so I thought it best to address it publicly.

The shipping of this coin is higher than what I know most are use to and that is mainly due to the weight.

The coin does weighs in at 2.9 oz. I checked another coin I had nearby, "Venturing BSA Geocrew 44 85", which is a 1.5 inch dia coin and it weighs 1.1 oz. This is just the weight of the coins without the coin holders or anyother materials.

Please also understand that the shipping also includes packaging, insurance, and misc cost.

While the above shipping cost don't affect the following, I forgot to state it on the eBay listings.

Price of coins after Pre-Sales have shipped with approximatly be as follows:

RE Ant. Silver and Ant. Copper ~$10

LE Black Nickel with Gold Enamel ~$15

As I state, this are estimated, but my final cost will determine the true cost.

Thanks for everyone's understanding,

maldar

I have discovered a flaw in the eBay shipping calculations. If you wish to purchase more than one coin of the same type or multiple coins from different listings please ask for an invoice. I didn't fully realize how eBay calculated the shipping until I sent and invoice and was confused why the shipping was so high, and can now see more clearly what is happening. I have never done a listing like this before so it is a newb mistake. Just click on the "Request Invoice" link in you "My Summary" page once you have purchased your coins and I will send you an invoice the first chance I get.

Sorry for all the confusion. Normally when I sell items there, they are not items that can be packaged together, people only want one, or they are so light it does not matter.

I want to thank everyone for bearing with me through this experiance and I promise that the next time it will be smoother. *crosses fingers*

maldar

ps Sorry, it seems like this has become my own personal thread, but people did say they wanted to be kept up-to-date as to the status of coin issues. I hope this displays my commitment to that issue.

Hello Everyone,

I am sad to inform everyone that the coins will be delayed a short time. Right now I'm not sure what that will be, but I am hoping that it is only an extra week.

This is mostly my fault, do to my inexperiance with making coins as this is my first coin I am making.

The what happened is that I sent an email to Groundspeak for my Tracking Codes order. They say it takes 5-10 days to process the order. Since I didn't get confirmation back about the order I just thought that they must not do that sort of email. A week past by so I sent an email checking on the status and never heard back. So today I was finally able to talk to Mr. Roth and we discovered that, after sending some test emails, for some reason my emails never reached his inbox. After we both tried different email account I was able to send him the information that was requied.

After talking to Mr. Roth I discovered that he does indeed send confirmations for orders and that he will have me the codes by tomarrow night.

What I do wonder is why my email, which is the sameone I use for GC.c is not getting through to his account. He even check his filters and everything. Must just be my luck.

I will update here again once I get the codes to the mint and they inform me about a time frame.

I ask anyone that purchased a Pre-Sale coin to contact me first before filing with PayPal. I also ask that if you need to file with PayPal to wait until the 40 day mark. I will gladly refund money to anyone that wishes not to wait.

This should only really affect persons that purchased the 3 coin set and the individual Black Nickel coin.

Once again, I am really sorry and there is no real good excuse. I should have contacted Groundspeak earlier about this matter.

Please forgive me.

maldar

You have kept me informed - I have no problem with the delay and will not send any complaint to Paypal (unlike one of my customers for a book who wanted Media Mail and after 5 days complained LOL).

Keep the information about status coming (in emails as I just got one ;-) and here - I am happy.

Er... excuse my stupidity (still new to coins) but are they trackable?

Yes, they are trackable. This is the reason that there is a delay currently.

Also you forgot the most important geo-commandment: Thou shalt mark thy car. :)

LOL, that is a good one. I didn't come-up with the commandments though.

Thanks,

maldar

not sure if you did this or not but...

There are some people who don't visit here, so I would suggest sending a mass email to your list of customers the you recieved payments from that way they will hear this first hand.

Just something I have done in the past. Good communication is one key to a happy customer! :laughing:

Thanks for the idea, I did that right after my update post yesturday. I went to My eBay Summary and sent a message to everyone with a link to my post. I figured that was the best and easiest way for people to learn since you are limited on characters in a eBay message.

I just want to tell you Atwell that I really like you as a seller and have never had an issue with your products, cannot wait to buy another coin from you when I have the funds.

Thanks again,

maldar

Hello again,

I have gotten the codes and sent them to the mint. There has been some confusion with them as to the laser etching so now I have to send them even more money. This after I have repeatedly told them what was required. Good thing I get paid tomarrow.

Atleast the coins are made and only need to have the code and the words "Trackable at Geocaching.com" laser etched into them.

Thanks again,

maldar

Hello again,

I have gotten the codes and sent them to the mint. There has been some confusion with them as to the laser etching so now I have to send them even more money. This after I have repeatedly told them what was required. Good thing I get paid tomarrow.

Atleast the coins are made and only need to have the code and the words "Trackable at Geocaching.com" laser etched into them.

Thanks again,

maldar

Hang in there and trust me, you'll have plenty of more 'lessons' you'll learn when minting coins, lol. It's always an adventure :ph34r: Save some money for the customs fee, it ain't cheap :blink:

Thanks for the update!

No problem, I understand that it has been a topic of concern. I feel sorry for all those that have been waiting for other coins for 3, 4, or more months; and there have been no updates. This being my first coin and all, I expected some mistakes, but experianced sellers should have a better feel and speedier time than I have.

We will leave it at that as this is about my coin and not about the delays other have experianced.

Once again I want to thank everyone for their purchases, believing in me and all the rest. While I don't want to go into much detail, I have learned much in this experiance and will be better equiped for the next coin. Look forward to seeing a new coin next year as I plan to use my tax return to fund that one if all goes well.

maldar

Good news. The coins have shipped from the mint and I hope will be here sometime Friday. I have all of next week off due to plans to have my wisdom teeth out so shipping these out will give me something to look forward too. Everyone please cross your fingers that they came out alright.

I have received many emails from persons that want to purchase the coins that missed out on the Pre-Sales. Once the Pre-Sales have shipped I will post here with a link to my site where you can order the coins.

Thanks for your waiting and your orders,

maldar

Good news. The coins have shipped from the mint and I hope will be here sometime Friday. I have all of next week off due to plans to have my wisdom teeth out so shipping these out will give me something to look forward too. Everyone please cross your fingers that they came out alright.

I have received many emails from persons that want to purchase the coins that missed out on the Pre-Sales. Once the Pre-Sales have shipped I will post here with a link to my site where you can order the coins.

Thanks for your waiting and your orders,

maldar

Great to hear, fingers crossed that everything works out for you. To bad we missed out tho. Would be a honor if we could trade personal. They look like they are going to be very nice coins.

Barry and Val of sweetlife

Hello everyone,

I have been trying the tracking number I was given atleast twice a day and today I finally was able to see the status of the package. It appears that the package was not sent out the same day I was told it was, but a few days later. This is just another nail in the coffin of that mint for me. Personally I don't tell someone something is shipped, until it is shipped. I can understand it being picked-up the next day, but not to be picked-up for 3 days is bad business. I thought that something seemed off when I was told that it may take a couple days for the shipping information to show-up, well now I know why.

I'm just glad that it is now in the final home-stretch and that I can track the progress of the package.

Here is alittle tease of what the Pre-Sale people should look forward to finding in their mail box sometime next year for this inconveinance:

sr71teaserdh2.jpg

It is something I have been working on for sometime and hope to have done sooner if I get the funds.

Thanks again for your time,

maldar

So you did some coin sets on Ebay - are those "presales"?

Dealing directly with a mint is one of the reasons I used a company. The North American company which helped me was wonderful but there were still hiccups. Glad it was them dealing rather than me.

Nice you have kept everyone informed. Thank you!

Just checking how things are going....did all come out well....teeth and coins that is...IF not I am sure the pain meds are working on both accounts.... :lol:

:ph34r::unsure::P Well, the teeth came out with much pain as I only had them gas me and use a local. The first one sent shooting pain down to my shoulder and was a real bleeder afterwards. I wish the local didn't wear-off so fast as I didn't have the meds right away. The good think is that the insurance pain 80%, they originally told me it was 50%. Good thing too as it was almost $900 for the 3 teeth to be removed, but I only have to pay $138.

Now for the news about the coins.

First the good news:

They arrived today.

Now for the not so good news:

After I recived the samples I asked the coins to be placed in a heavier/thicker plastic bag as the ones they used for the samples were to thin and allowed the coins to cause nicks and the like to eachother. This was not done even though I was told they would use the thinkest bags they had, I will be sure everyone gets the best possible coins as not too many were nicked. As this is the case I will be heading to the collectibles store to purchase the holders they have for baseball cards. While this is going to cost me a bit I would not feel right sending them out in bags thinner than a store brand sandwhich bag.

Now for the worse part of this. The Black Nickel with Gold Glitter Enamel was done incorrectly. Instead of the Gold Glitter Enamel they used a plain yellow enamel. I have contacted them and asked them to replace these coins. As I'm unwilling to give this company anymore money I will ask buyers what they would prefer if the mint refused to replace the coins without charge. The options would be a refund for that coin or to accept the coin with the yellow enamel. If for some reason I decided to make another run of this coin I would not make another Black Nickel version that was filled with either color enamel. I highly doubt I would make this coin again as it would mean having to give money to this company.

Sorry that there is another short delay. I will be shipping coins to people that only purchased the RE coins as soon as I can, which should be friday at the latest. Once I hear from the mint as to the Black Nickel coins I will contact those buyers via the eBay site.

Thanks and sorry,

maldar

Hello,

I have been in contact with the mint a couple times since the last post about the enamel. While I specifically mentioned that there was not a speck of glitter in the enamel that they used all I get a line of BS excuses. So instead of wasting anymore time with this mint I have decided to cut them loose. That being said, this will be the only run of this version of this coin. I'm 100% not going to remint any as I won't deal with that mint again.

So while the color is not as stated they are still really nice coins and still LE. I will post pics later today.

If anyone has any suggestions as to alternatives I may offer due to the mints unwillingness to correct the mistake please post it here. I have thought of another idea, but I will wait until tomarrow night to offer that one.

Thanks,

maldar

Maldar, post a pic and let folks see it and make their decision.

It is NOT your fault the mint screwed up at all, it's just one of those things. You've done an excellent job of keeping folks informed.

Now, it's just up to the folks who purchased them to decide what they want to do, but put up a pic so they can see!

*hugs*

Naomi :ph34r:

Here are the pictures.

The first pic is to show the difference between the 2 colors, while the second pic shows the sleeve that I will be buying shortly to replace the bags in which they came.

The coin on the left is the gold glitter sample that I was sent and the coin on the right is the yellow enamel that was produced.

10cglitteryellowdr8.jpg

On the far right you can see the sleeve in which the coins will be shipped. These sleeves are made by Ultra-Pro, one of the best if not the best maker of protective products for collectibles such as baseball cards. These are thicker than some coin flips and more rigid.

10cglitteryellowsleevesm0.jpg

Thanks,

maldar

Here are the pictures.

The first pic is to show the difference between the 2 colors, while the second pic shows the sleeve that I will be buying shortly to replace the bags in which they came.

The coin on the left is the gold glitter sample that I was sent and the coin on the right is the yellow enamel that was produced.

10cglitteryellowdr8.jpg

On the far right you can see the sleeve in which the coins will be shipped. These sleeves are made by Ultra-Pro, one of the best if not the best maker of protective products for collectibles such as baseball cards. These are thicker than some coin flips and more rigid.

10cglitteryellowsleevesm0.jpg

Thanks,

maldar

the yellow enamel looks to be more easily read than the glitter. maybe it is all for the best! reading this thread has been a real education in coin making.

hope you feel better!

lara

the yellow enamel looks to be more easily read than the glitter. maybe it is all for the best! reading this thread has been a real education in coin making.

hope you feel better!

lara

Thanks RSG, sometimes I think I'm feeling better, but the drugs they gave me for the pain really do a number on me. I'm not one to take stuff unless I need to so I'm not use to side-effects like the ones I'm having. I thought it would be similar to when I had the first wisdom tooth removed 10 years ago, but I guess having all of the remaining three makes it worse. Now I understand what others have felt like when they had it done.

Now for the coin, it is easier to read, but I think it looses alittle something.

Thanks for the input and again for the well wish,

maldar

You have tried very hard. I agree with everyone - seems to be easier to read but the glitter offered a different look. I will be happy to get the coins as they look nice. The sleeves are nice too. I don't like vinyl flips.

Working with mints is not easy. I learned that even going through a company who was experienced.

Thanks for keeping us all informed.

Just wanted all the eBay buyers to know that I sent out your feedback. Normally I do it the same day that I receive payment and don't understand myself why I waited. Kept on saying to myself I need to do that, but always put it off for some reason. Sorry I took so long in doing that for you all. You all have been a great bunch of buyers.

Thanks,

maldar

I've also replied through EBay but am personally quite happy to receive the coins.

It's obvious you have tried very hard with these coins and I'm sure we all appreciate it.

Things do go wrong, often outside of your control, but this just goes to show how good communication and keeping people informed about the situation keeps everybody relaxed about the whole thing. Well done, maldar :ph34r:

Not wanting to hijack this topic, but visit my Todie's Wild Ride thread fro your chance to WIN ONE OF THESE COINS to release into the wild! Ten Commandments cointest is happening now in the Todie's Wild Ride thread!!

Well done on the coin my friend!!! Can't wait to see these in person, sorry I couldn't afford to buy one myself! I'd not worry, I think everyone can see you are trying hard to please as many as possible!!

Keep up the great work!

Working on packaging up the coins. Getting the Activation codes with their coins has taken longer than I expected as well as making sure everyone gets coins that look good.

I will be having a scratch and dent sale in the future for the coins that I feel fall into such a catagory.

I also want to publicly thank anyone that has had me send their coins off to a good cause. You know who you are and thanks for caring about others in times of need.

Thanks,

maldar

I too like the plain yellow/gold lettering, it looks like it will be easier to see although the glitter would have been cool too. You can go ahead and ship mine out.

Sorry to hear about everything with the wisdom teeth, I remember when I had mine removed :P . I had all four plus two others removed at the same time. I was on the soft food diet for almost two weeks....

I do appreciate what you have been going through to get these coins made and the communication has been great. Keep up the good work!!!

Ran into a small SNAFU, international orders will be delayed until next week. Paypal's shipping service does not allow for 1st Class shipping for international orders; they only have priority and express services. That being the case I will be heading to the post office on my next day off to send out the international orders.

I also ran out of Flat Rate Priority envelops so there are 2 people that will get their order delayed until I can pick some up, hopefully tonight if the lobby is open and there are some inside. The 2 people that this affects are the 2 that placed and paid for their 2 orders separatly. Next time I'll pick up more than what I think I need.

Sorry for the delay,

maldar

edit: spelling and extra info

Edited by maldar

:):D Last of the Pre-orders where sent out today. I'm still working on grading the rest of the coins and setting prices for the remainder of the coins. Once I have the page set-up for regular orders I will post here again.

Thanks again to those that have pre-ordered and waited this bumby ride out and to those that have expressed an interest in the coin after the pre-sales.

Thanks,

maldar