Delorme PN-40

embra

Does or will the PN-40 offer the following features:

1. Recording barometric pressure trending while the unit is turned off?

2. Reading ft/min? (Should be answered in post above this one.)

3. Ambient air and water temps? I think the answer for air temp is 'no'. Could these be added software functions connected to available ground station WAAS?

4. Water depth?

5. Sun and moon rise and set forcasting?

6. Moon phase forecasting?

7. High and low tide forecasting?

Thanks.

1. I'm not sure, and if possible, I don't know how to access such recorded data.

2. Yes, done.

3. No, but they always have that stuff at Campmor or Cabelas.

4. Remember that old Johnny Cash song: "how high's the water risin' Mama? 20' high and risin'...."? :rolleyes:

5., 6. & 7. Yes. to all in addtion to a "Hunt/Fish" page. I live a mile from the Pacific Coast and the default to my local Tide Station is correct.

Personal note: I'll be on station until 9PM, PDT, so get the rest of your questions in by then. :D

Does or will the PN-40 offer the following features:

1. Recording barometric pressure trending while the unit is turned off?

2. Reading ft/min? (Should be answered in post above this one.)

3. Ambient air and water temps? I think the answer for air temp is 'no'. Could these be added software functions connected to available ground station WAAS?

4. Water depth?

5. Sun and moon rise and set forcasting?

6. Moon phase forecasting?

7. High and low tide forecasting?

In the current iteration, no to 1, 3, 4; yes to 5, 6, and 7. CowboyPapa has offered more than I know about #2. I don't know what Delorme will be able to add with the altimeter readouts, but I don't think it has any temperature sensors.

Direct comparisons *are* hard to make, although I do regard the PN-40 about as direct competition to the CO/OR as there is right now. I'd note that the $400 PN-40 price includes nation-wide 1:24000 topo maps that allow autorouting (satisfactory if not challenged too much), and for another $29 one can download unlimited imagery (USGS, satellite, aerial, NOAA) for a year.

We have been able to test this subscription (very sweet BTW) - I will run out of hard drive space on my current setup before I can download all I want :blink: Hmmmm, time to get an external HD?

Direct comparisons *are* hard to make, although I do regard the PN-40 about as direct competition to the CO/OR as there is right now. I'd note that the $400 PN-40 price includes nation-wide 1:24000 topo maps that allow autorouting (satisfactory if not challenged too much), and for another $29 one can download unlimited imagery (USGS, satellite, aerial, NOAA) for a year.

We have been able to test this subscription (very sweet BTW) - I will run out of hard drive space on my current setup before I can download all I want :( Hmmmm, time to get an external HD?

It's a different game here Ben. I've got a ton of hard drive space, not an issue. :ph34r:

My problem here is that after testing the service and finding to be top drawer, there is so much from which to select, I'm frozen by indecision. :blink:

Signed up. The SE is just the ticket. Thanks for the notice and link!

Likewise. I'm a seven year dedicated Garmin fan, and had one of the first 60CSx's. To date I've haven't found anything that I thought topped it, and was going to wait for some user reviews on the PN-40 before jumping in. But this thread and Delorme's extensive use of experienced users for their beta testers has convinced me that this is a winner.

They also mention there will be a limited-run offer of the PN-40se. 8GB internal memory; $100 more.
Since 8GB SDHC cards are $15-20, why does this make sense?

This is internal flash memory integrated into the system. Not the memory card inserted into the slot.

I could be wrong but that will allow larger maps and images without having to worry about the size of your storage card.

Edited by TotemLake

This is internal flash memory integrated into the system. Not the memory card inserted into the slot.

I could be wrong but that will allow larger maps and images without having to worry about the size of your storage card.

"Having extra internal memory will allow you to quickly transfer more detailed maps and imagery to the internal memory without needing to manage your SD cards to the extent you may be doing now with the PN-20. "

I guess for me the questions are:

1: How much memory does the "average" map with overlays, aireals and geocache data take?

2: Under what circumstances would you exceed the 1GIG internal memory?

3: I'm assuming the internal memory is faster. Is it noticably faster?

4: Can the unit read the data directy from the SDHC cards or do you have to move the data to the internal memory before you can use it?

"Having extra internal memory will allow you to quickly transfer more detailed maps and imagery to the internal memory without needing to manage your SD cards to the extent you may be doing now with the PN-20. "

I guess for me the questions are:

1: How much memory does the "average" map with overlays, aireals and geocache data take?

2: Under what circumstances would you exceed the 1GIG internal memory?

3: I'm assuming the internal memory is faster. Is it noticably faster?

4: Can the unit read the data directy from the SDHC cards or do you have to move the data to the internal memory before you can use it?

@Junkwood:

1: "Average" is hard to define on this one. For me I have a lot of map packages with USGS 7.5min quads and color aerial photography that are ~2 GB in file size and ~ 500 sq. mi in area.

2: See answer #1. ;)

3: It was noticable on the PN-20, much less so on the PN-40. See here for more: http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=14925&start=210, specifically CMason's post @ 12:39pm EST from Sept. 12th.

4: Yes, the PN-40 (& the -20) read the data directly from the card. No need to move data into internal memory.

I hope this helps!

-Brian Danz

-Team DeLorme

One and two are just too hard to answer, junkwood. The results are based too much on personal preference regarding usage practices. Think of it as being similar to two people driving identical cars with significantly gas mileage results.

FWIW, when my PN-20 was new, I bought several 2GB SD cards and loaded them up with the included Topo USA 7.0 maps in addition to some of the downloaded USGS 3DTQs and photo imagery. The thought was to carry them and switch them in and out as required. That never came about as whatever card I had in when I left was always enough.

Then I went to a 4GB card with all of southern CA and western AZ topos along with even more imagery and that card has just never come out. It's like I could leave on a two week 4WD trip into the back country and never out drive 4GB.

Now with the "all I can eat" download of imagery for $30 per year, I'm going to buy a 16GB card and fill it up just to do it. However, I wonder if I will ever use all that out in the field. ;)

Outside of that, I'm a wealth of great advice and outstanding recommendations.

Oh yeah, one more comment on the addtional $100 cost of the se version due to the 8GB additonal internal memory. Is it not a glass half full - glass half empty judgement?

Looking at cheapest SD cards on Newegg:

1. 16GB SD card: $43

2. 32GB SD card: $130

Edited by Team CowboyPapa
They also mention there will be a limited-run offer of the PN-40se. 8GB internal memory; $100 more.

You got that right......$100 for 7 mb..........bargain???.......................NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check my post immediately above. :)

So, if you can live with less than 16GB, the additional card looks good.

OTOH, if you think that you need more than 16GB but less than 24, the Special Edition looks good.

But, I have no idea how one can make that value judgement up front. ;)

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

1: "Average" is hard to define on this one. For me I have a lot of map packages with USGS 7.5min quads and color aerial photography that are ~2 GB in file size and ~ 500 sq. mi in area.

2: See answer #1. ;)

3: It was noticable on the PN-20, much less so on the PN-40. See here for more: http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=14925&start=210, specifically CMason's post @ 12:39pm EST from Sept. 12th.

4: Yes, the PN-40 (& the -20) read the data directly from the card. No need to move data into internal memory.

I hope this helps!

-Brian Danz

-Team DeLorme

To you and CowboyPop, yeah I knew "average" would be tough. Maybe I should've asked how much internal memory people here use on average with their PN-20's. At any rate, both of ya gave good examples of your usages. Thanks.

And thanks for the link Brian. I checked it out. I think I may stick with the 1GIG version since I want the Xmap software as well if it's offered at a lower bundled price.

Oh... and CowboyPop, let me know when you finally out drive 4GIG's of data and how long it took. :)

Isn't it very likely that this 8GB of internal memory is nothing more then an 8GB MicroSD located inside and addressed as the internal memory instead of the smaller standard MicroSD card addressed as internal memory in a regular PN-40? Is there really any speed or access differences between internal memory and an external SD or MircoSD card? My first thought was, "Why do companies play these exclusive pre-order games on us?" Gimmicks turn me off. DeLorme, PLEASE don't make extra memory exclusive to the first 100 PN-40's you sell--just offer the PN-40se to anyone wanting/needing more internal memory for $100 more. As far as that goes you could offer a model for $200 more that includes 8GB of internal and an external 8GB SD card? ;) You don't need to play these pre-order games really do you?

Or, how about this...? I assume opening up a PN-40 would ruin warranty so unless internal memory is soldered on the motherboard one wouldn't likely go this path anyway, BUT you could offer an "upgrade" path to anyone if they really needed more internal memory?

I still haven't read any "why" answers. Well, this isn't going to change anyone's mind. Of all the _many_ things that have _impressed_ me about DeLorme and the PN-40, offering a limited number of PN-40se's doesn't.

Edited by Ratsneve

Isn't it very likely that this 8GB of internal memory is nothing more then an 8GB MicroSD located inside and addressed as the internal memory instead of the smaller standard MicroSD card addressed as internal memory in a regular PN-40?

Maybe. But I still like the idea. If I'm going to make a purchase, I'm going to make it last at least 5 years. I'll the max I can with the little I have. That's the same attitude I had when I bought the MeriPlat and it has served me well. I expect nothing less with the PN-40 and I'll gladly go after the bigger internal memory.

Isn't it very likely that this 8GB of internal memory is nothing more then an 8GB MicroSD located inside and addressed as the internal memory instead of the smaller standard MicroSD card addressed as internal memory in a regular PN-40?

Maybe. But I still like the idea. If I'm going to make a purchase, I'm going to make it last at least 5 years. I'll the max I can with the little I have. That's the same attitude I had when I bought the MeriPlat and it has served me well. I expect nothing less with the PN-40 and I'll gladly go after the bigger internal memory.

Maybe. But if lots of internal memory really becomes important a year down the road or so I can't imagine DeLorme not ramping up and selling more PN-40se's. It just looks like they are shooting themselves in the foot. It isn't lot's more internal memory...its the limited edition angle driving me (forcing me) to consider this now.

ON THE OTHER HAND... Can I preorder the PN-40se through REI or is it only directly through DeLorme?

But heck, I'm playing a game I have no business being in even--my mapping needs are so limited. What I need is some major advantage to using internal memory exclusively and keeping the SD slot empty? Maybe there could be some other devices that would plug into the empty SD slot--like wireless capabiltiy? Hey Chip? ;) Not now but, you know, in six months?... With external temp probes and software to record when the unit is turned off even the highs and lows and chart it; integrate to my Prius to chart gas milage along a route (I love that one. :) ); a sonar for depth readings; heart rate and cadence?

Edited by Ratsneve

...... the smaller standard MicroSD card ..........

For some reason (lateness of the hour?), I'm having trouble parsing out four consecutive adjectives:

a. smaller

b. standard

c. micro

d. secure digital

May I please have another look at this?

In the meantime, I might comment that the "external" SD card is of the "standard size", i.e., larger than the mini SD card which is larger that the micro SD card.

10-4?

CowboyPapa

Who drinks Special Edition beer when available. ;)

...... the smaller standard MicroSD card ..........

For some reason (lateness of the hour?), I'm having trouble parsing out four consecutive adjectives:

a. smaller

b. standard

c. micro

d. secure digital

May I please have another look at this?

In the meantime, I might comment that the "external" SD card is of the "standard size", i.e., larger than the mini SD card which is larger that the micro SD card.

10-4?

CowboyPapa

Who drinks Special Edition beer when available. ;)

Does it matter? :) Or, better, how does it matter?

Edited by Ratsneve

Oh, and you know what the same question is when people are filling up the MP3 players?

And are you ripping at 128kpbs, 192........?

I just cut out a 10 deg by 10 deg Color aerial at Zoom Levels 12-15 and it was about 400MB, FWIW.

Funny you should mention that. A few weeks ago I finally finished ripping my CD collection to MP3. Ripped at 192 kbps and ended up with 5522 songs which takes 29.67 GIGs and is approzimately 16.7 days of music! The task of ripping and then building the library complete with art work and some info was equivelant to you driving 4GIGs. What a job!

Edited by junkwood

Ratsneve... some facts behind the Earthmate PN-40se:

We weren't trying to create a gimmick with the se model, we wanted to build a special device for our hardcore customers and knowing how much data people are going to pull down from the Map Library we thought why not create a special edition with a ton of internal memory.

-The se has an 8GB internal memory chip. There are no microSD slots hiding behind the back cover. It's just like the 1GB internal memory on the standard device only with 8X the capacity.

-The se is limited because we only made a limited number of devices with the 8GB internal memory chip. Again, this is not a gimmick, just a reasonable budgeting decision followed by a good plan to make sure people are informed and the se models are fairly distributed.

-The devices are only available through DeLorme. It's a special edition and we're managing the distribution ourselves.

-I've run several tests to see which is faster and while I am pleased with how quickly the SD card is accessed with the new PN-40 configuration, there is still a slight edge when the data is stored on the internal memory. It's very slight but enough so that I store all of my "must have" maps on my internal memory.

-I currently have the Topo USA maps for Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont stored on the 1GB internal... that's as much of New England as I can fit. The rest of my aerial and USGS maps are stored on my 8GB SD card. My plan once I get one of the highly coveted se models (only two in-house so far) is to store all of the Topo USA data for New England and New York on the internal memory and then use the remaining storage to put the entire state of Maine in USGS (buy the DVD for $50 if you want to do this... gives you a back-up and saves you all the download effort) and as much of the state's high res aerial imagery as I can fit.

-I will still use my 8GB SD card to store all the maps for special trips and anything that won't fit on the internal 8GB.

-You've hit on a key issue for growth too... with all of my critical data stored on the internal memory I'm free to swap my SD cards out should I have a special set of maps on one card and a different set on another.

At the end of the day both devices are going to be excellent. We didn't change any of the functionality between the two units, just the amount of maps that you can store on the special unit... after all, it's about the maps. In the end everyone should weigh the value of storing all their data internally or placing it on SD cards. Hopefully I've shared enough about my memory usage to help you make a decision.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Maybe. But if lots of internal memory really becomes important a year down the road or so I can't imagine DeLorme not ramping up and selling more PN-40se's. It just looks like they are shooting themselves in the foot. It isn't lot's more internal memory...its the limited edition angle driving me (forcing me) to consider this now.

ON THE OTHER HAND... Can I preorder the PN-40se through REI or is it only directly through DeLorme?

But heck, I'm playing a game I have no business being in even--my mapping needs are so limited. What I need is some major advantage to using internal memory exclusively and keeping the SD slot empty? Maybe there could be some other devices that would plug into the empty SD slot--like wireless capabiltiy? Hey Chip? :unsure: Not now but, you know, in six months?... With external temp probes and software to record when the unit is turned off even the highs and lows and chart it; integrate to my Prius to chart gas milage along a route (I love that one. :) ); a sonar for depth readings; heart rate and cadence?

Let me give you a little story that taught me not to limit my vision of what can be:

The PC world was ablaze with the new 486 chip. There was also the 486sx which had the math co-processor disabled. The system I was looking at had 100MB HDD, 4MB RAM and was a 486sx 20Mhz. I asked the computer guru at the time if this would be enough. His response? That'll be all the system you'll ever need! Within 6 months I had upgraded the disk twice, added a CD-ROM with great difficulty, added more memory and was already looking at upgrading the CPU and was waiting with limited patience on the next upgrade to my HDD. That system went through several more mutations until it couldn't be upgraded anymore. By then, the Pentium series was in its third generation. True story!

Since then, I've learned to buy the most I can afford and I won't have to worry about replacing or upgrading it so quickly. My PCs last me 5-8 years before replacement when it was the norm to replace them every 3. I bought the most I was able to when I bought the Platinum and it is beyond reproach in its service at 5 1/2 years when folks have been replacing theirs at every 1-2 years when a new improved model came out.

It's not that I need the extra memory now, but sooner than later, I might need the extra memory to do the job I expect it to do. Plus, there IS the cool factor to keep in consideration. I only get to do that once every 5 years or so. :D

Since then, I've learned to buy the most I can afford and .......

Somebody gave me that advice in regards to buying a house 40 years ago.

In the fullness of time, they were quite right. :unsure:

At ease. I think DeLoreme's intentions are good. I enjoy the attention DeLorme gives us even though I likely will remain happier with the Oregon for my personal GPS needs. I'm just sorry Garmin seems so 180 degrees different as a company and out of touch toward its customers--but in the end, after things settle down, does it matter?

I'm aware of not buying enough when given the opportunity and having to buy more later, but buying more later has always been possible so far. Bill Gates once said something like, "64K will be all anyone ever needs," and I added a $450 Pascal language 16K RAM card to my Apple "][" once. If it becomes "necessary" in the future there won't be any PN-40se's available but likely there will be a PN-40p (for plus) that might have 16 GB internal. More likely there will be a redesign to include a larger screen with greater battery capacity with lower current drains. Likewise Garmin will have already done a portable outdoor widescreen by then too. And the beat goes on...

Edited by Ratsneve

Since then, I've learned to buy the most I can afford and .......

Somebody gave me that advice in regards to buying a house 40 years ago.

In the fullness of time, they were quite right. :D

At ease. I think DeLoreme's intentions are good. I enjoy the attention DeLorme gives us even though I likely will remain happier with the Oregon for my personal GPS needs. I'm just sorry Garmin seems so 180 degrees different as a company and out of touch toward its customers--but in the end, after things settle down, does it matter?

I'm aware of not buying enough when given the opportunity and having to buy more later, but buying more later has always been possible so far. Bill Gates once said something like, "64K will be all anyone ever needs," and I added a $450 Pascal language 16K RAM card to my Apple "][" once. If it becomes "necessary" in the future there won't be any PN-40se's available but likely there will be a PN-40p (for plus) that might have 16 GB internal. More likely there will be a redesign to include a larger screen with greater battery capacity with lower current drains. Likewise Garmin will have already done a portable outdoor widescreen by then too. And the beat goes on...

In a year or two, that may be so. But I'm in the market for a GPS now, not in a year or two. :unsure:

That being said, it comes down to what floats your boat best. Frankly, I would have been happy with the 1GB if that was all that was offered. It's nice there is a choice. :)

I was going to post the same thing but time-outs here are still nasty business. I just bought pre-ordered the bundled $539 for the SE bundle which includes a travel kit. I just ordered mine.

Due to ongoing tax code changes for web purchases, tax may be applicable

Edited by TotemLake

I was going to post the same thing but time-outs here are still nasty business. I just bought pre-ordered the bundled $539 for the SE bundle which includes a travel kit. I just ordered mine.

I pre-ordered the non-SE w/travel kit and went ahead with the 1 year subscription to the map library. I had planned on buying Xmap6 Pro if they had offered it for $100 as someone had said they did before. I called sales and asked. They said "maybe down the road - who knows" but not right now. :P

What about it Delorme team?! :D Pre-ordering a product with accessories and subscription? Throw in a discounted Xmap Pro. :D

In all seriousness, my thanks goes out to forum members here as well as the guys from the Delorme team who went above and beyond in answering questions for me a month or so ago when I was in the market for a new GPS'r. I feel good about me purchase.

I pre-ordered the non-SE w/travel kit and went ahead with the 1 year subscription to the map library. I had planned on buying Xmap6 Pro if they had offered it for $100 as someone had said they did before. I called sales and asked. They said "maybe down the road - who knows" but not right now. :D

What about it Delorme team?! :D Pre-ordering a product with accessories and subscription? Throw in a discounted Xmap Pro. :laughing:

In all seriousness, my thanks goes out to forum members here as well as the guys from the Delorme team who went above and beyond in answering questions for me a month or so ago when I was in the market for a new GPS'r. I feel good about me purchase.

Ditto that. Even the Mrs couldn't believe I settled down on a specific brand/model. :P

You are quite welcome. I seem to recall that I offered you some advice. Kinda' hard to forget that handle. :D

Haha.. funny how handles materialize - My last name has "wood" in it and I created an email account specifically for signing up for random stuff that you have to do on the internet from time to time. Which usually ends up getting you more junk mail in your inbox. So Junkwood was fitting and easy enough to remember. :P

You are quite welcome. I seem to recall that I offered you some advice. Kinda' hard to forget that handle. :D

Haha.. funny how handles materialize - My last name has "wood" in it and I created an email account specifically for signing up for random stuff that you have to do on the internet from time to time. Which usually ends up getting you more junk mail in your inbox. So Junkwood was fitting and easy enough to remember. :D

Geez, now I'm sorry that I mentioned it. Now that you given its background, kinda' loses its mystique. :P

I pre-ordered the non-SE w/travel kit and went ahead with the 1 year subscription to the map library. I had planned on buying Xmap6 Pro if they had offered it for $100 as someone had said they did before. I called sales and asked. They said "maybe down the road - who knows" but not right now. :P

What about it Delorme team?! :D Pre-ordering a product with accessories and subscription? Throw in a discounted Xmap Pro. :D

If you're like me at all, that feeling will deepen and grow. After my Magellans, I find them incredibly open to suggestions...several made during the beta look like they will make it into the final firmware release, and others will be considered down the road. If you have an idea for a better GPS, throw it out in the Delorme Users Suggestions forum and see what the discussion morphs it into.

I'm pretty sure that Delorme has said elsewhere that XMap Pro 6 will continue to be available to PN owners for half price. This is the first day of PN-40 orders, so they're probably being cautious until marketing is clear on the deal. Clarification shall come, I'm sure.

If you're like me at all, that feeling will deepen and grow. After my Magellans, I find them incredibly open to suggestions...several made during the beta look like they will make it into the final firmware release, and others will be considered down the road. If you have an idea for a better GPS, throw it out in the Delorme Users Suggestions forum and see what the discussion morphs it into.

Thats the sense I've had from the various forums. Thats cool.

I'm pretty sure that Delorme has said elsewhere that XMap Pro 6 will continue to be available to PN owners for half price. This is the first day of PN-40 orders, so they're probably being cautious until marketing is clear on the deal. Clarification shall come, I'm sure.

That was one thing that caught my ear today when talking to the sales rep. He had mentioned (don't quote me) that the PN-20 bundle with Xmap Pro was still Xmap at $200. Actually, I just checked the site. The PN-20 bundle w/Xmap Pro 6 $499.

At any rate, time will tell. :P Got a month to wait anyway!

That particular bundle doesn't make sense to me. It looks on the surface like it's set up to get someone to buy the PN-20 and XMap at the full price. Someone not aware of the half-price offer might go ahead and pay that, but it seems like they'd be a bit upset if they learned later that others were getting it for half-off.

Anyway, I just wanted to reassure you to the extent of my limited knowledge, and counsel patience.