8.8.08 Flash Mob Event

;) A 8.8.08 Flash Mob Event seems like a natural. :D

I have one in for approval which is 8.8.08 Flash Mob Event GC1DH03. Since it is a nice warm evening the event is planned to be in a parking lot of a favorite Ice Cream Parlor so that after the event everyone can go away with something cool. :D

Maybe we can get a bunch of these going :D

:D

;) A 8.8.08 Flash Mob Event seems like a natural. :D

I have one in for approval which is 8.8.08 Flash Mob Event GC1DH03. Since it is a nice warm evening the event is planned to be in a parking lot of a favorite Ice Cream Parlor so that after the event everyone can go away with something cool. :D

Maybe we can get a bunch of these going :D

Like these?

I miss the whole point of flash mobs. Would anybody care to enlighten me?

They're a way to draw cachers together without having a big, formal event. Because they're shorter, more people tend to show up because you're not tied down for 2 hours.

So, you have eight minutes to get to know everybody. OK. I see. :)

They're a way to draw cachers together without having a big, formal event. Because they're shorter, more people tend to show up because you're not tied down for 2 hours.

I disagree strongly, regarding "more people showing up". I think the last round of them was rather poorly attended. Not that I looked at every one in the world, and did a scientific analysis, or anything. :) I know I have no desire to ever attend one.

So, you have eight minutes to get to know everybody. OK. I see. :)

I sort of don't get it either. The sit down pizza and wings deal near me sounds like fun though. I posted a note on that page and if in town, I will probably be there. I would rather have time to chat than rush through and only have time for a Hershey's Kiss to eat. Gimme' pizza!

Usually the Flash events are 15 min long and primarily are for a very quick meet and great and a photo op. At the end of 15 min everyone scatters. In our case it is actually in the outer edge of the Braums Icecream place. After the "Official" event then most will go inside and have something with icecream involved. As if most of us really need it. :)

This one is being held on the far east side of Ft. Worth, Texas

when i found this game i thought it sounded kinda cool, hunting stuff that had been hidden using gps and clues and stuff. i still think this.

whats a flash mob to do with caching? i think those in charge should stamp on it and insist that a chache has to include a box to find.

You're gonna be lots of fun to have around the forums. Keep on speakin' that closed mind. I can always use the entertainment. :ph34r::lol:

when i found this game i thought it sounded kinda cool, hunting stuff that had been hidden using gps and clues and stuff. i still think this.

whats a flash mob to do with caching? i think those in charge should stamp on it and insist that a cache has to include a box to find.

:lol:Um, have you looked at any other events? I don't think they have boxes to find either, unless it's a box of pizza. :D:ph34r:

You're gonna be lots of fun to have around the forums. Keep on speakin' that closed mind. I can always use the entertainment. :lol::D

what do you mean by that? can i not say what i think? maybe i need you to approve my posts before i'm allowed to put them on this forum.

Please do say what you think.... :( I'm here mainly for entertainment and your post made me think you might be very fun to read as you progress in the game. :(:ph34r::D

whats a flash mob to do with caching? i think those in charge should stamp on it and insist that a chache has to include a box to find.

Events are not geocaches. They require no boxes to find.

Events are social opportunities that allow geocachers to get to know other geocachers.

Since I am not very social, flash mob events actually sound kind of fun, to me. Unfortunately, 8/8 is a travel day for me. At 8pm I'll be somewhere over the pacific.

A flashmob is NOT a physical cache to be found at anytime... It is an EVENT cache. Check out www.podcacher.com to learn more about the history of Flashmobs and geocaching.

The Steaks

I sort of don't get it either. The sit down pizza and wings deal near me sounds like fun though. I posted a note on that page and if in town, I will probably be there. I would rather have time to chat than rush through and only have time for a Hershey's Kiss to eat. Gimme' pizza!

I've only been to one, but most everyone hung out before and after the event. I'm not sure how it is in other places, but no restaurants will hold space for 30-40 people on a Friday night, and the wait is usually 30 minutes so it's hard to coordinate any kind of sit down event unless it's during the week.

I disagree strongly, regarding "more people showing up". I think the last round of them was rather poorly attended. Not that I looked at every one in the world, and did a scientific analysis, or anything. :D I know I have no desire to ever attend one.

At the WWFM event we attended in May, there were 64 attendees. Most regular events have 30-40 if they're at a restaurant, lately more towards 30.

Maybe there were so many at it because flash mobs are something new to us. I'd never heard of one until a couple months ago.

Events are social opportunities that allow geocachers to get to know other geocachers.

In eight minutes, though? I can't get to know one person in eight minutes, much less a mob of people.

I think what they do is form two lines and walk past each other high fiving each other (kind of like teams to after the end of a ball game). That way you can meet everybody in 8 minutes.

At the WWFM event we attended in May, there were 64 attendees. Most regular events have 30-40 if they're at a restaurant, lately more towards 30.

Maybe there were so many at it because flash mobs are something new to us. I'd never heard of one until a couple months ago.

I personally will probably only go to Official Flash Mobs such as one of the couple dozen of Simultaneous World Wide Flash Mobs that have happened III times (officially) so far. Well, I lie, I'm going to one tomorrow that's another unofficial flash.

More people go to flash mobs since it lasts only 15 minutes, add perhaps 15 more minutes of shmoozing and organizing trips afterwards in an area that one has never cached in with cachers one hardly ever hangs out with...

Word is that people will gather before and hang out after the event...

That sounds like cheating to me. B)B):ph34r:

Not really cheating, but I think the point of the flash mob event is sort of being lost. Basically, it ends up being just a regular event. I hear all the time that people hang around before or after, or go to some place nearby to hang out. The whole point is that it is suppose to be a bizarre event to those who do not know about it. People appear and then disappear, they don't hang out. Some that I have heard about really were not flash mod events in the true sense of what they are suppose to be.

I am not saying that if this is your idea of fun that you should not do it. I want to spend more time with people if I am going to an event personally. That's why these don't do anything for me.

I mean, anyone who has met me at an event KNOWS how much I like to talk. :D

A bunch of geocachers milling about, trying to sign a logbook, hardly qualifies as a Flash Mob.

A Flash Mob is SUPPOSED to be a large group doing something conspicuously incongruous, in a public place, to the amazement of onlookers!

A REAL Flash Mob would be if the group:

Has a pillow fight for several minutes---

Has a 'light saber' battle for several minutes---

Has a silly string war for several minutes---

Walked around in circles with trash-cans on their heads for several minutes---

Everyone twirled a Frisbee on their finger for several minutes---

At the very least they could jump around and dash back and forth while closely looking at their GPSrs for several minutes---

If someone were to hold a true-to-style Flash Mob event, I would really enjoy attending/participating.

The ones I have seen so far are weak excuses to hold an event where the owner gets away with the least planning possible.

A bunch of geocachers milling about, trying to sign a logbook, hardly qualifies as a Flash Mob.

A Flash Mob is SUPPOSED to be a large group doing something conspicuously incongruous, in a public place, to the amazement of onlookers!

A REAL Flash Mob would be if the group:

Has a pillow fight for several minutes---

Has a 'light saber' battle for several minutes---

Has a silly string war for several minutes---

Walked around in circles with trash-cans on their heads for several minutes---

Everyone twirled a Frisbee on their finger for several minutes---

At the very least they could jump around and dash back and forth while closely looking at their GPSrs for several minutes---

If someone were to hold a true-to-style Flash Mob event, I would really enjoy attending/participating.

The ones I have seen so far are weak excuses to hold an event where the owner gets away with the least planning possible.

How bout this,,, Walked around in circles with a gpsr in their hands for several minutes?

Wait, nevermind,,, we already do this! :ph34r:

In eight minutes, though? I can't get to know one person in eight minutes, much less a mob of people.

I'm like you, Dog. I really do not get it. An event is meant, IMHO, to be a social thing. Get together take time and visit over a cool drink and/or food.

I guess we could think of "Flash Mob Events" as Lamp Post events. You can do it but where is the fun.

Do you think this is the price we pay for having a "fast food" style of living these days?

Get an "attend" and get out so you can up your numbers.

I disagree strongly, regarding "more people showing up". I think the last round of them was rather poorly attended. Not that I looked at every one in the world, and did a scientific analysis, or anything. :laughing: I know I have no desire to ever attend one.

I don't know if you went to the NYC one or if there was one in CT but assuming the former I think it was location, of course you'll find 60 cachers to go in the biggest city in America! Again, assuming that location, I think it would've gotten more people (including ourselves, would've been our first) if it wasn't held right next to Shea Stadium as a Mets game was starting! Most (though not all of the people) there were people in Queens who lived very close to it and didn't have to worry as much about the ballgame traffic!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Yeah. And what's this CITO all about? I think those in charge should stamp on that too. What does garbage have to do with geocaching? And Gladware. I really hate that stuff. I wish those in charge would stamp on that. It's not even box shaped most of the time. I can probably think up some other stuff. just trying to help out...

Yeah. And those stupid Oriental Trading Company toys and crap from gumball machines and the dollar store.... they should stamp on that too!

You're right Snoogans....this is entertaining! :)

Oh....and if you can't get to know someone in 8 minutes maybe you're doing it wrong. Cuz don't it take most guys 3 minutes anyway? Or....maybe I'm thinking of something else.....