Geocaching with small children

Hallo,

Me and my husband (YorkshireTea) are new to this here geocaching thing, but already enjoying it immensely. Technically, our son's first 'find' was at 16 weeks old, but since he can't walk, or hold things reliably, not sure it counts.

Anyway, to my point. We intend on doing a lot more of this, and obviously some caches are more accessible than others. We've got a fair few by dragging the pushchair through hedges, notably doing 'Stepping Stones' carrying him across the river Derwent, but it's getting a bit silly now - and his baby bjorn-esque sling is now too small for him. ;)

Do we invest (I say invest because it costs a FORTUNE) in a framed baby-carrier (he's 4 months now but in 6-9 month clothes) to do some of the wilder caches, or do we stick to pushchair friendly ones? I'm thinking the former, but even on ebay things like the macpac vamoose carrier are over £100. Yikes.

Besides, pushchair friendly caches tend to be small. Any recommendations for fun ones?

Hi,

My daughter has been Geocaching for a while with me round the New Forest. Things I have found to be invaluable:

1) Mutsy Urban Rider Buggy (4 large wheels Articulated!). Syles gates and thin paths are always going to be an issue. Some People swear buy 3 weeled mountain buggys (Keep an eye on Ebay for these).

2) I bought a baby back pack from Ebay for about £30-00 I am shure it is not super quality you get what you pay for but she seems happy enough it and it won't be that long till she is walking or to heavy!

Hope this help's

Gerrit

PS I also ignor any comments and buggy recomendations on caches and have subsequently hours of fun in boggs, crossing fences you name it we tried it. ;)

PPS Styles single handed are near impossible! :D

My house mate often comes caching with me, with her 16 month old son. When we can't take the buggy, she uses his sling, which her mum made for her. If you are or know someone who is a a dab hand with a sewing machine... I'm being told (she's just appeared in the room!) that you should check out the pattern for a "FrankenKozy"... That's what she uses, and has done since he was born... her 3 year old nephew will still fit in it. To buy one ready made is about £50, I'm told! Both she and her husband find it very comfortable (as does the little one!)

There are other cheaper ways of doing it too- you can get a long piece of material and tie it on in a specific way. Slings are quite fashionable at the moment, so if you search for them, you should find something suitable!

Edited by ClareLouise

I would definitely recommend buying a framed backcarrier. We have used one for our youngest since he was about 8months old and wouldn't be without it. Have a look on the german ebay as they sell new ones (not the big name brands but same principle) for a fraction of what they cost here. And most are willing to post over here, too We bought one from there and had no complaints at all. He might be a little bit young for it yet as he must be able to sit up by himself comfortably. Once he can I'd say go for it as you can then do all the caches you fancy, bearing in mind that they do get heavy after awhile ;)

PS: I agree with OP about stiles, the hop over ones are ok but the ones you have to sidle through are a complete nightmare :D

Ey up to our fellow Sheffielders!!! ;)

We started caching when our first child was 10 months old and we did invest in a 'rucksack' as we call it. We bought all the gubbins that go with it, ie, the waterproof shield and sun shade, neck pillow etc. It cost about £170 in total but it has been worth EVERY single last penny. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It's nice to know that we can walk any distance through any kind of terrain and know that the little one is safe and sound and protected. The ruck sack has got an enormous compartment to put nappies, wipes, snacks, spare clothing and all the 'just in case' clothes and tranclements that all parents need. I won't name the brand on here just in case I get into trouble. The oldest girl used it until she was around 2 1/2 - my hubby carried her in it from Ambleside up Kirkstone Pass and up Red Scree on an 8+mile walk at that age. It makes you fit if nothing else!!!

We started caching with our second daughter when she was 22 hours old (on the way home from the hospital - sad or what???? :D ) and she has used the rucksack since the age of 6 moths. Prior to that we invested in a good baby sling. We go on some fairly serious walks over rough terrain (now the 3 year old can walk a decent distance) and both girls have loved being able to see what is going on around them and have a snooze whenever they feel like it.

The 12 month old is now at the glorious clingy stage :D:D so the ruck sack comes in extremely handy around the house - she just gets popped into the ruck sack while I do the house work or hanging out the washing and she is as happy as Larry! :D

There is a local outdoor shop especially for kids - I will pass the details on to you as they are excellent and extremely helpful. Send me an email through my profile and I will be happy to help you.

All the best

Chris

Mrs Rebel Alliance

Edited by Rebel Alliance

I take my son, 8 months old, out caching in a mei tie style soft carrier. cheaper than a more structured sort and easy to pack in a bag 'just in case'. it can be used for front carries (useful for caching when small), hip carries, less useful for caching but quite good for round the house) and back carries - i tried a back carry last weekend for caching and it was great. e-mail me if you wan tto know the exact make of my mei tie, im not sure i'm allowed to link it publicly, but it was considerable cheaper than many for sale.

We started caching nearly 2 years ago when our youngest was only 2.

We didn’t have one of the rucksack carriers and just used a pushchair, it’s surprising what punishment they can take!

Our boys are now nearly 4 and 7, don’t need pushchairs or bags of nappies and stuff. They do like to find caches with swaps rather than micros, and obviously we don’t do any 10mile hikes. But in return for having to choose our caches carefully we get no better reason to hang around parks and run in and out of bushes without attracting the slightest bit of attention from muggles!! That’s team work.

Hallo,

Me and my husband (YorkshireTea) are new to this here geocaching thing, but already enjoying it immensely. Technically, our son's first 'find' was at 16 weeks old, but since he can't walk, or hold things reliably, not sure it counts.

Anyway, to my point. We intend on doing a lot more of this, and obviously some caches are more accessible than others. We've got a fair few by dragging the pushchair through hedges, notably doing 'Stepping Stones' carrying him across the river Derwent, but it's getting a bit silly now - and his baby bjorn-esque sling is now too small for him. :)

Do we invest (I say invest because it costs a FORTUNE) in a framed baby-carrier (he's 4 months now but in 6-9 month clothes) to do some of the wilder caches, or do we stick to pushchair friendly ones? I'm thinking the former, but even on ebay things like the macpac vamoose carrier are over £100. Yikes.

Besides, pushchair friendly caches tend to be small. Any recommendations for fun ones?

We've never got into the pushchair thing, it's just to much faff :D

We graduated from a sling (AKA a square piece of cloth of the correct size tied with a reef knot), to riding on my shoulders with some time in the sling, to a combination of shoulder rides and walking.

She's now 27 months and we have done up to 8 miles with walking and shoulder riding, it keeps both of us fit :D

Does it count that I went caching today for the first time again in couple of years whilst 7months pregnant! hehe - So will be watching these comments closely for advice on how to hurdle stiles with two dogs and a pushchair!

I started caching last summer when my dad got hooked - I was 8 months pregnant! Not easy to find caches when you can't even find your toes...

If you cant afford to spend a lot of money on carriers, why not try your local Freecycle Group? You can check whether one is on offer or post a request and see if anyone has one lying around not being used.

You need to log onto Yahoo Groups and then go to Freecycle to find your local group. You can get practically anything you want on there, and also get rid of your own stuff as well. Hoep you find something suitable.

I'd go backpack: we had a macpac possum and it was fantastic. We used it for both of our kids and it did a serious amount of mileage. A backpack is much more versatile than a pushchair in terms of where you can get to. Both our kids enjoyed the backpack in different ways , the first would go to sleep instantly and stay asleep the whole time she was in there, whereas the second seemed to find it a good viewpoint.

As a physio I would say if you are going to invest in a backpack buy a good one. By the time youngster gets to three but still needs the odd carry your have got a serious load on your back. Get one with a good waistband, a chest strap and an adjustable back system - your spine is irreplaceable!

Even though a good backpack is costly to start off with you would be able to recoup some cash by selling it on again when you have done.

We are not that far away from you, we are in Marsden near Huddersfield. We have put out quite a few child friendly caches with the aid of our two kids (now age 5 and 7) I suppose I'd get banned for naming my own caches here :ph34r: but feel free to Pm me if you want any more of my ramblings about backpacks or the caches our kids have enjoyed.

Also worth having a look at the Yorkshire caching website there is a caching for kids bookmark set up.