New Topo program

Good day.

I have a 2007 Garmin Vista Hxc and found out after the fact that my older National Geographic Topo program will not speak Garmin. I'm tired of entering way points twice so that my Garmin and map waypoints match up.

Two questions, will the new version of National Geo Topo up load waypoints to the Garmin Mapsource?

Would you all stick with NGT or are there some Delorme fans out there who think the Delorme would be a better fit for the HcX and printing 11X17 topos?

Thank you.

Good day.

I have a 2007 Garmin Vista Hxc and found out after the fact that my older National Geographic Topo program will not speak Garmin. I'm tired of entering way points twice so that my Garmin and map waypoints match up.

Two questions, will the new version of National Geo Topo up load waypoints to the Garmin Mapsource?

Would you all stick with NGT or are there some Delorme fans out there who think the Delorme would be a better fit for the HcX and printing 11X17 topos?

Thank you.

For loading maps into a Garmin gpsr you are stuck with Garmin maps, or some of the Garmin compatible maps that some here on the forums are offering. Both the National Geo and Delorme maps don't speak Garmin. If entering coords is your only issue, use GSAK as the loading/exporting medium. GSAK speaks Garmin, Nat Geo and Delorme.

For loading maps into a Garmin gpsr you are stuck with Garmin maps, or some of the Garmin compatible maps that some here on the forums are offering. Both the National Geo and Delorme maps don't speak Garmin. If entering coords is your only issue, use GSAK as the loading/exporting medium. GSAK speaks Garmin, Nat Geo and Delorme.

To make sure I understand you, I understand that I can't upload maps to my garmin with anything but garmin's topo program, but are you saying that I can't import a list of waypoints from the new National Geo program to the garmin mapsource?

Thanks for the reply

How old is your TOPO! software? Mine is Version 4.0 (a couple of years old) and I don't have any problems uploading or downloading waypoints to my Vista HCX.

I haven't installed the latest update to TOPO (Version 4.2.7). Is that the one you're having trouble with?

I agree with O-Mega's post, if all you're looking to do is transfer geocache coordinates to your Garmin there are some good applications out there for free. Our Topo USA 7.0 application will allow you to import .gpx and .loc files from gc.com and transfer them to your Garmin Vista Hcx, but you’re actually paying for a lot more functionality than you'll use if you're only looking to upload and download waypoints and tracks.

Topo USA does have some great features for planning your geocaching trips and other outdoor activities. You can create road, trail, and direct routes... you can profile your routes and view them in 3-D... there's a huge dataset of points of interest to help you find food, gear, fuel, and lodging while you're on a trip... there's even a process for downloading high resolution aerial imagery to better plan your geocaching routes.

Consider all the features you might be looking for in your desktop software and go from there. If you want more details on Topo USA you can find them at our website.

Thanks,

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

I agree with O-Mega's post, if all you're looking to do is transfer geocache coordinates to your Garmin there are some good applications out there for free. Our Topo USA 7.0 application will allow you to import .gpx and .loc files from gc.com and transfer them to your Garmin Vista Hcx, but you’re actually paying for a lot more functionality than you'll use if you're only looking to upload and download waypoints and tracks.

Topo USA does have some great features for planning your geocaching trips and other outdoor activities. You can create road, trail, and direct routes... you can profile your routes and view them in 3-D... there's a huge dataset of points of interest to help you find food, gear, fuel, and lodging while you're on a trip... there's even a process for downloading high resolution aerial imagery to better plan your geocaching routes.

Thanks for the replies.

I actually plan backpacking trips using my NG Topo, and then print out the 11X17 maps. I then like to have my waypoints on my Garmin to be exactly like the one printed on the topo map. The mapping feature is an important part of my system.

I believe my NG is a version 3, therefore I have been planning my trip, entering waypoints on the topo map, and then having to recreate the same name and lat-lon in my Garmin...two steps, looking to be able top upload the waypoints out of the Topo program straight to the Garmin is seconds not hours.

I actually use the system for backpacking and hunting, I haven't entered into the world of geocaching, but you all here seem to know more about the ins and outs of GPS more so then a straight backpacking forum.

I have been using the NGTopo for the last five years, I have heard some good things about Delorme. I have been to the Delorme website and was overwhelmed pretty quick with the wide array of different programs.

I see Delorme also has some nautical maps which I have to research to see if those maps will upload to a garmin...which I'm betting they don't.

Thank you.

Thanks you.

I have NG TOPO! Version 4-something, and it talks to my 76CSx fine by USB. I use it much the same way you do, and I transfer my waypoints directly from TOPO! to the receiver. Given the post above from tnle2, it seems that it should work for you.

If you are already using NG Topo and like it, you can save yourself from going through the learning curve with new software by sticking with NG. I’m a little rusty on the details, but I would expect that you could also continue using the maps you have already paid for, just within the new software. I’m using my maps that I bought before I got Version 4.

How old is your TOPO! software? Mine is Version 4.0 (a couple of years old) and I don't have any problems uploading or downloading waypoints to my Vista HCX.

I haven't installed the latest update to TOPO (Version 4.2.7). Is that the one you're having trouble with?

Checked this morning, I'm on ver. 3.43, Since I just bought the Vista last year I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade the NG also.

thanx

I actually plan backpacking trips using my NG Topo, and then print out the 11X17 maps. I then like to have my waypoints on my Garmin to be exactly like the one printed on the topo map.
Printing paper maps of your backpacking trips is so 20th Century. I have the whole state of Colorado at 24K resolution inside my Garmin GPS all the time. That's equivalent to ~1800 paper Quads.

What state do you backpack in? Above the Timber may have you covered.

Checked this morning, I'm on ver. 3.43, Since I just bought the Vista last year I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade the NG also.

thanx

Look into GPS Babel or a third party vendor that uses it. I prefer GPS Visualizer 'cause you can do the conversion online. It will convert NG tpg and tpo files into the MapSource gdb file format for quick downloading.

I don't mean to sway you from NG; I have NG but prefer to create my tracks in Google Earth (G-E calls them paths) where I can visually see the trails, then use GPS Visualizer to convert the path into a MapSource track.

Good day.

Thank you.

AllTopo (www.igage.com) speaks Garmin. However, I have reported a bug to them regarding an error that occurs when waypoints are transferred from the program to the gps. They transfer correctly going from the gpsr to the maps and, if you then transfer those waypoints back to a gps there doesn't seem to be a problem. But, if you manually enter waypoints on the map, those might be off.

You also might check out USAPhotoMaps - a piece of shareware available from jdmcox.com

Printing paper maps of your backpacking trips is so 20th Century. I have the whole state of Colorado at 24K resolution inside my Garmin GPS all the time. That's equivalent to ~1800 paper Quads.

I went to a presentation by an NG guy about TOPO a few months ago, and he emphasized that he always takes printed maps with him. I don't recall, but I would hope that he also had a compass. Relying on a GPS receiver during a backpacking trip (or even a lengthy or rugged day hike) doesn't sound like a good idea to me, either.

Patty

Well I found and ordered a $19 upgrade to upgrade my NG topo from 3.4.3, to 4.2. which should allow it to speak to my new Vista. Got it installed it, but can't get the software to accept the serial number to validate the software.

Emailed support two days ago, no reply. Will have to try the 800 number the next time I get off early.

I went to a presentation by an NG guy about TOPO a few months ago, and he emphasized that he always takes printed maps with him. I don't recall, but I would hope that he also had a compass. Relying on a GPS receiver during a backpacking trip (or even a lengthy or rugged day hike) doesn't sound like a good idea to me, either.

Patty

Of course he does, that's all NG will do is print paper.

Let's assume you're in black timber with your compass and paper map, all you know is north. For that combination to provide any useful infomation you need two identifiable reference points to sight and the time and talent to triangluate. With 24K Topos inside a GPS, all you need is a signal, takes 5 seconds.

I was backpacking in virgin, to me, territory earlier this week, just the GPS, no paper. I did a loop using multiple trails. Whenever I wanted to know the distance to a trail intersection or creek crossing, I simply moved the cursor to that place on the map and I knew distance and bearing, took 10-seconds.

I do recommend spare batteries.

Let's assume you're in black timber with your compass and paper map, all you know is north. For that combination to provide any useful infomation you need two identifiable reference points to sight and the time and talent to triangluate. With 24K Topos inside a GPS, all you need is a signal, takes 5 seconds.

I was backpacking in virgin, to me, territory earlier this week, just the GPS, no paper. I did a loop using multiple trails. Whenever I wanted to know the distance to a trail intersection or creek crossing, I simply moved the cursor to that place on the map and I knew distance and bearing, took 10-seconds.

I do recommend spare batteries.

I don’t think anyone who routinely uses GPS to navigate would try to argue that using map and compass is easier or faster than using GPS. And you’re right that if you can’t sight identifiable landmarks, you can’t locate yourself on a map by using a compass. Nevertheless, in navigation redundancy is a good thing.

Interesting.....so what happens if your in the backcountry and you find version 0.00 on your GSPr?

Personally, I would pull out my paper topo map, on which I periodically check my location, and use it with my mechanical compass to navigate as I learned to do before GPS existed. It would be an inconvenience, not a catastrophe

I carry a paper map and periodically (often at rest breaks) locate my position on it, usually with the help of my GPS (on which I have never had topos until recently when I installed Indyjpr’s free ones). I enjoy doing this, so for me it isn’t a “chore”. If my GPS were to quit in territory where navigation were really difficult, I would have a pretty good idea where I was on the map. Knowing directions via the compass, I could likely navigate to a “handrail” such as a creek or road and get back to familiar/easier territory.

It’s also easier to get an overview of the area I’m in from looking at a paper 1:24000 scale map than on the relatively small screen of a GPSr. That comes in handy for making spontaneous changes of plans while hiking.

Don’t get me wrong. GPS is my first choice in navigation; and if I were going somewhere where I was really counting on it, I would carry a backup GPS. But I would still carry a map and compass.

I went to a presentation by an NG guy about TOPO a few months ago, and he emphasized that he always takes printed maps with him.

Of course he does, that's all NG will do is print paper.

I don't know what you mean by "all NG will do is print paper." Sure, TOPO can't transfer maps to a GPS receiver, so if you want to use its maps in the field, you'll need to print them out. But as this thread has discussed, it certainly can transfer waypoints, routes, etc. It's a perfectly usable program without making printouts.

As "roybassist" agreed, it's just plain smart to have multiple navigation tools. The NatGeo guy uses GPS plus printouts of his company's program. I use GPS plus printed topos purchased directly from USGS (and a compass). Different approaches, but both accomplish the same increase in safety.

Patty