I found my first cache(s)!

MOVMX Racer

Well, I have finally done it. I have been reading up on geocaching for a week or so now, and I figured it would be pretty fun. I went to geocaching.com and found out there are over 1000 caches within 100 miles, and there are 10 or so at a park/trail system about a mile from where I live, and I have been riding there for a few years now. We bought a lightly used Garmin GPSmap 60CX for my dad for fathers day, and he gave me permission to test it out. I headed to the trails this morning and found my first one, and I started to think "This could be a new hobby..." By the time I was ready to head home, I had logged almost 15 miles on my bike, and found 7 caches. It is amazing to find out that people have been doing this for so long, and I just found that out last week, as well as the fact that I found seven on my first day! I am so glad that I found out about this, it is a great way to get out of the house and do something, rather than sitting around on the computer all day. Now I am planning to go find four more tomorrow at another park that is close, and then some others a little later. I am amazed at what the new GPS can do, I never realized that this kind of stuff was done all the time! Now that I found most of the ones at the bike trails, I am thinking of hiding my own! ;)

Welcome to the game. It's always good to read about someone's first successful hunt.

Enjoy finding them for a while before you hide one of your own. You'll gain loads of experience that way so that you'll know what makes a good cache and what isn't such a good idea.

I found seven on my first day!

[...]

Now that I found most of the ones at the bike trails, I am thinking of hiding my own! :)

Wow... seven on the first day, solo? Two multis and two puzzles (you only logged six)? That's quite good! Congrats! (and welcome!) I think I was happy to find two (at night, no less), but I was pretty casual (scared?) to start and only had a borrowed eTrex GPS at the time... both caches were actually in reasonable walking distance from home. I think I actually used Streets and Trips to locate my first cache, though (technically I signed my first find after my second find, since I was looking at it for such a long time (days), thinking, is that really it?)

As far as hiding one goes (and not to discourage anyone mind you), I follow the recommendation of a good fifty to hundred caches under your belt before doing a hide... largely because, well, I think I had pulled that off another site at one point and now, having found a couple hundred on my own, I can surely appreciate the knowledge and understanding you gain after a good solid hundred. Then again, I also mentioned how timid I was about my first find, so perhaps that's to be taken with more of a grain of salt...

I found seven on my first day!

[...]

Now that I found most of the ones at the bike trails, I am thinking of hiding my own! :ph34r:

Wow... seven on the first day, solo? Two multis and two puzzles (you only logged six)? That's quite good! Congrats! (and welcome!) I think I was happy to find two (at night, no less), but I was pretty casual (scared?) to start and only had a borrowed eTrex GPS at the time... both caches were actually in reasonable walking distance from home. I think I actually used Streets and Trips to locate my first cache, though (technically I signed my first find after my second find, since I was looking at it for such a long time (days), thinking, is that really it?)

As far as hiding one goes (and not to discourage anyone mind you), I follow the recommendation of a good fifty to hundred caches under your belt before doing a hide... largely because, well, I think I had pulled that off another site at one point and now, having found a couple hundred on my own, I can surely appreciate the knowledge and understanding you gain after a good solid hundred. Then again, I also mentioned how timid I was about my first find, so perhaps that's to be taken with more of a grain of salt...

I did find seven, I just realized I forgot to long the longleaf pine one! I am not going to hide one quite yet, as I would like to do a somewhat complicated one on the trace trails, (multi part) and want to find a really great spot for it. I didn't cache solo, my friend went with me (they say not to cache without a friend, makes it more fun!), so It wasn't bad. We left at 11am and made it home around 4:30pm. We stopped at cold stone (ice cream) for lunch around 1pm, so that cut off about 30 min, leaving us with a good 5 hrs. of riding! We haven't got to get to the ones at the nature park yet, but are planning on hitting them today as long as the weather holds out!

Welcome to the addiction sounds about right...