CHALLENGE: The Earth Turtle Challenge

tsunrisebey

:D:D

VOLUNTEER SESSION NOW CLOSED FOR THE FIRST ROUND

I will make my decision on Sunday and post results here. I may contact some of you to ask questions, so don't ignore my email, lol.

I'm off to a family reunion this weekend and won't be back in town until after Canada Day (Tuesday). I'm not sure I'll have internet access (I'm bringing the laptop just in case), so please don't think I'm ignoring you if you drop me a note and don't get a response! B)

I will make my decision on Sunday and post results here. I may contact some of you to ask questions, so don't ignore my email, lol.

It's very cool to see that its not just folks in the US volunteering! Can't wait to see what's up first!

You've got a lot of great places to choose from :D Is it inappropriate to comment on the locations.. b/c one of the volunteers (not me-unfortunately) lives in my favorite place on earth* :D I dream of this place from my fluorescent lit, window free cubicle..

*well, okay, within 10 hours driving distance of home; I really do need to see more of the earth! I can't wait to see all of the pictures that end up posted here!

Edited by ThirstyMick

Let me make a few comments here and please take them for what they are worth.

This whole challenege was meant to be fun, get people out caching, to show myself and others what else is out there in the world, and a chance to earn a fun coin. Kind of an overall experience of sorts.

I really tried to make it clear that all I wanted was for people to put down what state, country or province you were from. Very simple and then I would look over profiles and posts, basically your overall activity and such to help me in making my decision as we go through the process.

I am asking you politely to not post anything else but that what I requested because I will ignore it. I also ask that you refrain from sending me emails about your area and your caching skills, etc. I don't need and I don't want any outside influences. I need to be as fair and unbiased as I can in choosing locations and the people to cache in those locations. If you try to "help" me in my decision making process, it is unfair to me and to everyone else who is trying to get a volunteer position and it creates a little more stress and time spent trying to individually explain why I don't and can't use your posts/emails to help me in the process. EVERONE is on equal ground here. If I get to the point where I can't make a choice for whatever reason, I will get the aid of another cacher or family member to just draw a name if I have to. So, please try to see this from my point of view for a moment a know that this isn't easy picking and choosing people based on a number of factors, seperating some of the friendships with some of who have volunteered and trying to get you all to forget there is a coin involved and to just have fun with this picked or not picked.

I expect everyone here over the course of a year to just "cowboy up" and if in the end you don't get a coin, to not be mad about it (yes, it's ok to be disappointed, lol). Many of you have received coins from me via cointest, gifts, and extras in trade packages anyhow. I will always continue to give back to the community in different ways, so please just have fun with this and help make this easy and fun for me too because i would really appreciate that :ph34r:

Thanks,

me

Let me make a few comments here and please take them for what they are worth.

This whole challenege was meant to be fun, get people out caching, to show myself and others what else is out there in the world, and a chance to earn a fun coin. Kind of an overall experience of sorts.

I really tried to make it clear that all I wanted was for people to put down what state, country or province you were from. Very simple and then I would look over profiles and posts, basically your overall activity and such to help me in making my decision as we go through the process.

I am asking you politely to not post anything else but that what I requested because I will ignore it. I also ask that you refrain from sending me emails about your area and your caching skills, etc. I don't need and I don't want any outside influences. I need to be as fair and unbiased as I can in choosing locations and the people to cache in those locations. If you try to "help" me in my decision making process, it is unfair to me and to everyone else who is trying to get a volunteer position and it creates a little more stress and time spent trying to individually explain why I don't and can't use your posts/emails to help me in the process. EVERONE is on equal ground here. If I get to the point where I can't make a choice for whatever reason, I will get the aid of another cacher or family member to just draw a name if I have to. So, please try to see this from my point of view for a moment a know that this isn't easy picking and choosing people based on a number of factors, seperating some of the friendships with some of who have volunteered and trying to get you all to forget there is a coin involved and to just have fun with this picked or not picked.

I expect everyone here over the course of a year to just "cowboy up" and if in the end you don't get a coin, to not be mad about it (yes, it's ok to be disappointed, lol). Many of you have received coins from me via cointest, gifts, and extras in trade packages anyhow. I will always continue to give back to the community in different ways, so please just have fun with this and help make this easy and fun for me too because i would really appreciate that B)

Thanks,

me

thanks for the response, that's what I figured & why i didn't go ahead and post who/where B) even though it was about the place, not the coin (don't even know the person) :ph34r:

okay, i'll step back now and leave you to your deciding :D

It's very cool to see that its not just folks in the US volunteering! Can't wait to see what's up first!

I cant wait to see pictures! I didnt volunteer because my state had already been spoken for so it'll be nice to see what is posted. :ph34r:

I cant wait to see pictures! I didnt volunteer because my state had already been spoken for so it'll be nice to see what is posted. :ph34r:

Just because someone else from the same state/province/country volunteers, doesn't mean you shouldn't. Please by all means volunteer for the next go-round if SC isn't picked this time.

Side note: I've been doing some research, narrowing it down now B)

The first 2 missions have been decided, so unless either cacher decides they do not want or can not do the challenge: then the 2 Earth Turtles will both be headed overseas for this round in the challenge.

Congrat's to Japan (ClanDoyle) and Italy (kdv). I will be in touch some time today.

When 1 cacher completes the challenge, I will open the volunteer session up again, so when the coin arrives back to me, I can get it mailed out quickly to the next cacher picked.

tsun :)

The first 2 missions have been decided, so unless either cacher decides they do not want or can not do the challenge: then the 2 Earth Turtles will both be headed overseas for this round in the challenge.

Congrat's to Japan (ClanDoyle) and Italy (kdv). I will be in touch some time today.

When 1 cacher completes the challenge, I will open the volunteer session up again, so when the coin arrives back to me, I can get it mailed out quickly to the next cacher picked.

Awesome choices! I can't wait to see the pictures!

Congrats to the first 2 volunteers! Can't wait to see where these coins go!

Wont it be easier to pick two existing people who have put their names forward rather than asking again? Just though it might make it easier for you and therefore people who have volunteered will have more oif a chance incase they dont see the next volunteer post.

Wont it be easier to pick two existing people who have put their names forward rather than asking again? Just though it might make it easier for you and therefore people who have volunteered will have more oif a chance incase they dont see the next volunteer post.

She did pick two that put their names forward. She's just making sure they still want to participate. Some people do change their minds. :)

This contest runs over the course of approximately 1 year, give or take a couple months. Just because someone volunteers now doesn't mean they want or can participate 6 months down the road. Maybe someone from Tahiti will volunteer 8 months from now. By opening it up every time the coin becomes available I know who is willing to volunteer for that month. So many things can change a couple months from now and I want people who are willing to volunteer at that time. Some people will lose interest that initially volunteered, some new people from new places may volunteer that would be fun to see. This Challenge isn't about giving someone "the best chance". It's suppose to be about a variety of things: seeing different places/cultures (most important to me), getting people out caching, and getting an activated coin out traveling and who at the moment can get these things done which may change month to month. I hope that helps answer your question.

tsun

This contest runs over the course of approximately 1 year, give or take a couple months. Just because someone volunteers now doesn't mean they want or can participate 6 months down the road. Maybe someone from Tahiti will volunteer 8 months from now. By opening it up every time the coin becomes available I know who is willing to volunteer for that month. So many things can change a couple months from now and I want people who are willing to volunteer at that time. Some people will lose interest that initially volunteered, some new people from new places may volunteer that would be fun to see. This Challenge isn't about giving someone "the best chance". It's suppose to be about a variety of things: seeing different places/cultures (most important to me), getting people out caching, and getting an activated coin out traveling and who at the moment can get these things done which may change month to month. I hope that helps answer your question.

tsun

Hmm...I believe that great! I will not be able to participate for a month becasue of a problem or something very good (my sister's wedding for example), so... :)

The way you will do it, is quite flexible! That's good! And if there are going to be 24 volunteers for 2 coins, this cointest will probably end in July, or August or September of 2009! :anicute:

BTW, I found a solution for the coordinates!!! YES!!!! :anicute: I didn't know that there is a degree converter! WOW! KDV show us this! :anicute:

Thanx for the assignment, tsun! what a great thing to find in my email this morning. We've already got some perspective caches picked out, it'll be back to before you know it. And as my wife is a shutterfly (you all should really check out some of our logs), you won't be disappointed in the pics. Can't wait to play tourguide!

Oooooh, congrats to kdv and ClanDoyle! I can't wait to read about the coins' adventures!! Also can't wait to see the pics!! Hey ClanDoyle, maybe your wife would give a camera addict some tips on shooting scenery?? Have fun, and thanks for this great idea, tsun!!! Since we can't afford to leave MI to vacation this summer, we'll live vicariously through the coins! :)

tsun

Tsun is right - circumstances may change very unexpectedly for people. Accidents, illnesses - life is uncertain. We all hope for the best but no one knows the next Chapter in our Book of Life. In additional - weather conditions in different parts of the World might effect ones desire to participate. The middle of a Maine winter is not going to probably find a cacher finding the nicest caches which one might visit in the summer.

Well thought out - I am going to enjoy following this thread. Thank you - Tsun!

This little guy woke me up for a FTF run this morning. I guess he's still jetlagged. Anyway, the sun was just coming up as we hit GZ, and I looked while he visited with some locals and enjoyed the sound of the surf. Found it after alot of digging in the wrong places, and he was very interested in the contents. His first cache, and an FTF to boot! Then we paused to look at the morning sky, and it was back home for him and off to work for me.

5ca9900b-568d-4c8e-8afc-37efd5017a75.jpg

a1c16ffc-f7d8-4676-bc7f-0f7133f3b993.jpg

Yes, all those holes are full of hermit crabs

d7a80bc7-bd1f-4153-976d-e21c1296740c.jpg

bcc75f9f-9c40-49fa-b9dd-907c7a36c415.jpg

Cache Name: GC1EBFY - Legend of Skeetr: Skeetr's Cove

We took the Green Earth Turtle on a little evening cache run along the central west coast on Tuesday. He's completed the required four caches, but we're going to hold on to him for a bit, so we can take him to some castles. Since it's been a couple days, I took him to work with me today as well.

e30932e3-ca74-4176-b6e5-3999cb447a1a.jpg

GC1AZ6M - Onna Island

cbc278ce-95e1-4f3f-a7de-763ea0e0bb68.jpg

GCM5PT - Just For Girls

8643cc48-6d04-4e84-acaa-2f10f69fa993.jpg

GCM62Q - Cache Alex

c4c2b07b-6e82-4e00-a539-17b2f1f2d356.jpg

Visiting Kadena AFB - Look in the 8

There are more pictures in the trackable details - Tsun's Earth Turtle 2008 Geocoin

Great pics so far Clandoyle :laughing: Enjoying my small tour of Japan! Thanks and it looks like you already accomplished your challenge? :laughing:

I really think this one is cute! Can you tell me about the custom involved here? I'm assuming some sort of good fortune by placing a coin on top of the head or maybe it means nothing more than a little girl playing around, lol.

13fc3a25-0c7d-42cc-a7b1-bc99cd603f53.jpg

Edited by tsunrisebey

Castle Caching Day! Took the ET to a couple Gusukus (castles in Japanese), and showed him a bit of Okinawan history. We took ALOT of pictures, but in the interest of bandwidth conservation, we'll share a couple here, and you can see the rest on the ET Gallery.

e230a69e-25ad-4f8b-8fc5-beaa2a216f99.jpg

GC183Z9 - Kyangusuku Ground Golf Cache

dab7039e-7e30-4110-8980-15521815cb69.jpg

GC161BD - Katsuren-jo, Amawari's Crib

Earth Turtle Gallery - Remember, click on the image until you get the to original, full size (there is reading involved in some of them)

Tsun's Earth Turtle 2008 Geocoin

Another castle and Shi-Shi Dogs tomorrow!