CHALLENGE: The Earth Turtle Challenge

tsunrisebey

I think the number of regular watchers on this thread is probably pretty high (over 8,000 views already) and though it's no excuse for not posting, (I am guilty of probably not posting as much as I should) you can tell there is a lot of support for the people participating. They have all gone to so much trouble to get out and complete the mission and report back to this thread -- and with amazing photographs...still can't get over how beautiful these places are! But like the others have said, it's hard to think of something unique to say!

Looking forward to continued travels of these little guys!

WOW.... you guys are posting some very beautiful pictures. I have never been out of the US except for a cruise, but now that my kids are grown, I hope to get to do a little traveling :) Maybe I will get the chance to visit some of these beautiful places.

Thank you for sharing your pictures, they are all great!! Mother Nature has sure given this Earth some beautiful landscapes ;)B) ~Karen

CURIOUS! What is that far canyon wall made of?? Almost looks like cascading water.

This used to be a active Volcanic area the canyons are formed of a layer of Basalt over a layer of older Volcanic Ash the pictures really don't do it Justice. at the other end of the canyon I have a cache and am in the final stages of setting up a earth cache this is what the other end looks like

pinnacles2.jpghttp://pgcachers.com/images/bcparks/pinnacles.jpg

Very Nice Photo's Plumbrokeacres, your friend/our friend Don tells me it is beautiful out there in B.C. You also get alot of snow in the winter and that it is just as cold there then it does here in Wisconsin. Keep up the good work.

Barry and Valarie of sweetlife :)

Thanks for the replies we do get a lot of snow Don and I started caching around the same time our first 75 caches or so were found in 5' of Snow (turns a 1/1 into a 5/5)

Amazing place! I was looking in google maps where all these caches are located and I enjoyed a lot "flying" over the Quesnel area... Everything is sooooo green. The trail is amazing, and the last point over the canyon is indeed very interesting (also from a geological point of view). Thanks for the nice pictures and for showing us all that.

Antonio

Taking nothing away from the others, the pics plumbrokeacres took are the kind I like to see! natural beauty of the trees,canyons and terrain are much better than buildings and houses. This is just my opinion though as I realize everyone brings to caching something different and some prefer 'urban' park and grab caches to remote 1/2 mile hike down the trail caches! ...I personally would rather take the hike on the trail, so these type pics are more appealing to me...

Thanks for sharing! :)

Well sorry for taking so long in posting these pictures. Life got in the way of Geocaching :D .

On Sunday I received a call from my Good buddy Stormcloud he said " I have a GPS and a Tank full of gas and I'm headed north!" Well, I couldn't refuse going out again as he was headed to a couple caches I had on my todo list. and he wanted to clean up about 10 other caches north of town.

Our first stop was Coffeepot Mountain GC147YG a dormant volcano approx 35 miles north of my home.

We arrived at the trail head (I was very glad I hadn't taken my little Hyundai Accent as it would not have made it down the road).

Coffee Pot Mountain

100_1399.JPG

100_1398.JPG

We walked around a bit to find a safe way up and after a couple false starts we found a crevasse we thought would be suitable to get up about 3/4 of the way up the slope ended and we had to climb about 20- 30' straight up.

100_1400.JPG

100_1401.JPG

100_1402.JPG

once up top we gasped for breath and then enjoyed the stunning view.

100_1403.JPG

100_1404.JPG

We then found the cache took some pictures of the Earth Turtle

100_1405.JPG

100_1406.JPG

after the Pictures we explored a bit more and took some pictures of Stormcould's Cherokee way down below

100_1407.JPG

Add a litte Zoom and you can see the truck

100_1408.JPG

while up there we discovered a little lake and a future Earth cache notice it is already frozen over

100_1411.JPG

100_1409.JPG

100_1410.JPG

100_1412.JPG

100_1413.JPG

100_1415.JPG

100_1416.JPG

Then it was down off the mountain and off to Teapot Mountain

Thanks Tsun for this great Challenge!

after the Pictures we explored a bit more and took some pictures of Stormcould's Cherokee way down below

100_1407.JPG

Add a litte Zoom and you can see the truck

100_1408.JPG

while up there we discovered a little lake and a future Earth cache notice it is already frozen over

100_1411.JPG

100_1409.JPG

100_1410.JPG

100_1412.JPG

100_1413.JPG

100_1415.JPG

100_1416.JPG

Then it was down off the mountain and off to Teapot Mountain

Thanks Tsun for this great Challenge!

Wow, love the pictures, it looks beautiful there, suprised to hear that there is lakes already frozen over there. Winter is on it's way here as well in the Northwoods of NorthEastern Wisconsin.

After our trip to Coffeepot we headed off to Teapot Mountain approx 6 miles south I had been here with my daughter last week we found the cache at the top of Teapot (I'm a little Teapot GCG56X) but could not search for the second cache (Fox and Hound GC1GA01) well we came to find Fox and hound which was halfway up the mountain it is a nice little hike halfway up the mountain

100_1418.JPG

100_1419.JPG

100_1420.JPG

100_1421.JPG

after that we went on to find a few more caches before heading home.

I will be uploading another video of Coffeepot as soon as I can and will post some pictures from the WWFM IV before sending the Earth Turtle back this weekend.

I hope you have enjoyed my pictures

and thanks TSUN for letting me take part in this Challenge!

Wow, love the pictures, it looks beautiful there, suprised to hear that there is lakes already frozen over there. Winter is on it's way here as well in the Northwoods of NorthEastern Wisconsin.

Thank you! the lake on the mountain was frozen due to the elevation but it is quickly turning into winter we had about 3" of snow today I'm glad I did Coffeepot last weekend or I'd have had to wait till next year to complete it.

Antonio, what a beautiful country Portugal appears to be, thank you for showing all of us a peek into your world! You did an excellent job! Thank you again for all the hard work you put into your pictures and caches :grin:

** Not to take anything away from Antonio's last round of pictures here but I have been wanting to say this for awhile now. I'm disappointed in the lack of support the 'ET carriers' are receiving in this thread. I know that each person up to this point that has received the ET to complete the challenge has done a really great job. We've seen alot of great pictures and alot of effort put into the whole process. However, it's become a place where hardly anyone supports these people with compliments. Is that a requirement? No it isn't but put yourselves in their place, you put in the hard work that comes along with the Turtle, you post pictures and write nice logs and maybe 1 or 2 people say something encouraging. yet, it's funny when I post 'volunteer session' open, how many people are willing to come out of the wood work and post. All, I'm saying is, I'm disappointed. I just wish it wasn't always about the 'free coin' in the end :grin: Thanks to those who have showed support, I and I'm sure the 'Turtle carriers' have appreciated it.

tsun

I always come and check out the pictures and stories (which have all been great) - no excuse for not posting I kow, but the pictures and stories speak for themselves, but next time I stop by I will be sure to add my compliments :)

Prompted by another recent thread, I just wanted to add another comment here - for me it never was about a free coin - an element of this challenge that I had completely forgotten about, it was the chance to participate, a desire to 'showcase' my part of the world and an incentive to get out and find some caches, I believe that is probably true for everyone that visits this thread.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures and stories of these travelling turtles. It's even better than receiving a retrieve, drop or discover on any of my travelling coins since it is rare for anyone to bother to take pictures and the logs are definitely a lot shorter !

Prompted by another recent thread, I just wanted to add another comment here - for me it never was about a free coin - an element of this challenge that I had completely forgotten about, it was the chance to participate, a desire to 'showcase' my part of the world and an incentive to get out and find some caches, I believe that is probably true for everyone that visits this thread.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures and stories of these travelling turtles. It's even better than receiving a retrieve, drop or discover on any of my travelling coins since it is rare for anyone to bother to take pictures and the logs are definitely a lot shorter !

I was pretty enthusiastic when this started and then sort of disappeared. It wasn't for lack of getting selected myself or lack of interest in the turtle's travels.

I actually brought one of my own turtles up to Mt St Helens with me for the above reason Tooey sort of cites (that is, wanting to take part, and ok, it was a nice ego boost that I had enough free time on my hands that I could be taking pics of geocoins while on top of Mt St Helens!) I didn't get selected for that month, but that sure didn't make me want to get SOME turtle up there!

I had planned to duct tape the turtle to one of the kites brought up and wanted to fly the turtle out over the crater, but the larger kite never really was very cooperative :grin: Think my hiking partners though I was a bit more loopy than usual.

And then I lost my turtle pics to a satanic screensaver that killed my windows\system32 directory when I uninstalled it :)

Anyhow, please don't take my sob story of lost pictures as I wanna free coin :grin: This is a great project that's hard not to appreciate, especially with those moving the coins going the distance with such great pics!

ive enjoyed reading about the earth turtles challenge. i must admit i havent really posted much in here, due to some offline issues i dont feel the need to bleat about. anyway i dont really see this challenge as getting a free coin. to me its about the participation of a group project. to me its not a coin to keep but a shared activity that makes me feel part of things. i enjoyed the odd time i had the chance to be chosen to host an adventure for the traveling turtle, obviously i didnt succeed, but i enjoyed being able to share the stories others had to show and tell.

i participate in these things purely because it gets me out and about.

so i do thankyou tsun for creating this mission.

Well, I wish that were true but I have already have a couple people email me that it did start out about the coin and have since changed their minds about what this whole thing was suppose to be about. Let's be honest I believe the particpation level wouldn't be quite what it is if there wasn't a 'free coin' incentive. I'm just going to leave it at that because I don't want this thread to turn into a debate about who is doing this and for what reasons, fact is, only each person truly knows inside why they are volunteering. I just want the people posting pictures to be supported by comments because it's nice to see that the efforts of those doing the challenge being acknowledged in some form. It's just kind of common courtesy. Nothing sucks more to post pictures and thoughts and to see absolutely nothing. It's a sharing with the community and sharing works both ways but maybe I'm just goofy that way. I'm rambling :grin:

I think when the turtles come home, Montana will be showcased for a bit :grin: I should have to earn my coin too :)

Well, I wish that were true but I have already have a couple people email me that it did start out about the coin and have since changed their minds about what this whole thing was suppose to be about. Let's be honest I believe the particpation level wouldn't be quite what it is if there wasn't a 'free coin' incentive. I'm just going to leave it at that because I don't want this thread to turn into a debate about who is doing this and for what reasons, fact is, only each person truly knows inside why they are volunteering. I just want the people posting pictures to be supported by comments because it's nice to see that the efforts of those doing the challenge being acknowledged in some form. It's just kind of common courtesy. Nothing sucks more to post pictures and thoughts and to see absolutely nothing. It's a sharing with the community and sharing works both ways but maybe I'm just goofy that way. I'm rambling :(

I think when the turtles come home, Montana will be showcased for a bit ;) I should have to earn my coin too :blink:

Well I would be more than happy to complete this challenge without the incentive of a coin for doing so, and I believe there are a great many others that feel the same way. The effort that has been put in by all participants to this challenge has been tremendous and I look forward to coming back and seeing more of where these little guys get to travel to.

I would like to Thank TSUN for letting me hang on the the turtle for the WWFM IV Prince George BC. it was fun but it is time to head back and go on another adventure. I have a couple more videos to upload and will post the links here when they are ready. Thanks for all the great comments!

Here is the last of my photo's for the mission

Peachycat and The Earth Turtle at the WWFM IV

100_1424.JPG

Group Photo I'm esy to spot look for the tallest guy

wwfm-iv-prince%20george.jpg

And lastly Our WWFM was also a milestone cache

malibooboo1000.jpg

Malibooboo had his 1000th find and is also the first person it the area to hit 1000 not bad for an area that has only 230 caches!

and with that the earth turtle is on it's way home

Antonio, what a beautiful country Portugal appears to be, thank you for showing all of us a peek into your world! You did an excellent job! Thank you again for all the hard work you put into your pictures and caches :ph34r:

** Not to take anything away from Antonio's last round of pictures here but I have been wanting to say this for awhile now. I'm disappointed in the lack of support the 'ET carriers' are receiving in this thread. I know that each person up to this point that has received the ET to complete the challenge has done a really great job. We've seen alot of great pictures and alot of effort put into the whole process. However, it's become a place where hardly anyone supports these people with compliments. Is that a requirement? No it isn't but put yourselves in their place, you put in the hard work that comes along with the Turtle, you post pictures and write nice logs and maybe 1 or 2 people say something encouraging. yet, it's funny when I post 'volunteer session' open, how many people are willing to come out of the wood work and post. All, I'm saying is, I'm disappointed. I just wish it wasn't always about the 'free coin' in the end :blink: Thanks to those who have showed support, I and I'm sure the 'Turtle carriers' have appreciated it.

tsun

I always come and check out the pictures and stories (which have all been great) - no excuse for not posting I kow, but the pictures and stories speak for themselves, but next time I stop by I will be sure to add my compliments :D

I couldn't have said that better! I enjoy the pics from some of the wilderness areas I may never see and wanted to show others an area of the world they may never get a chance to see. I already own and have a couple traders of both these coins and had never thought about the 'free coin' as part of the mission....

...great pics plumbroke acres! I've been in Fl so long now that mountain veiws are something I only get to see when I visit family anymore. brings back memories of my childhood when I look at your pics! Thanks....

Congrats to Malibooboo, - is that commemorative plaque etched slate?

Thanks for the tour and for taking the time to make the Youtube entries - they were fun to watch too.

Thanks for the comments! I had some tough acts to follow with the other coin visits.

The Plaque is sandblasted Granite. I had seen in the forums somewhere where Cachers reaching that milestone would get a Golden Ammo box. I didn't have a ammo box but I did have a Vinyl plotter some granite tile and a sandblaster :D .