CHALLENGE: The Earth Turtle Challenge

tsunrisebey

Sounds great - was about to volunteer to take it to Perth, Western Australia in three weeks, but then realised that fell outside the rules.

Can all of New Zealand count - or should we divide it between South & North Island.... and would it be an idea to post between two cachers in NZ to save on back & forth international postage rates.???

That's just me pondering....

New Zealand being 1 country, will be only counted as 1 place ;) It would be you or whoever is chosen (should New Zealand be a choice) to show us your country so if that includes North and South, you would have 4 weeks :D

Great idea! Will we be allowed to "dip" the coins into caches that we have previously found or own?

Good question and one more point I need to add, lol. If you do maint. on one of your caches, you may dip it BUT it does not count towards one of your cache finds. No dipping in caches you've already found. This is suppose to be an new opportunity for everyone involved, you for finding new caches, us to see the beauty of where you live.

Now to edit again :D

;):D:) Oh boy.....Unfortunatelly I found all caches in my island! :D that just disqualified me! :D

BTW, Does it matter if the cache is a micro? I do not think so, right?

Don't let this stop you from volunteering, I do remember you talking about the lack of caches on the island you live. I am considering adding some type of rule/clause that takes this into consideration for locations such as yours and other areas with a lack of caches. One of the elements I will be looking at when I look at your profile will be the caches available to you in your area. I'm still thinking about this and the proper wording I need to use. This is why I am leaving this open for questions and comments right now, so I can consider issues I might not have thought of. I'll post an updated Rules before I open this up for volunteers.

* As soon as you are done and within the 4 weeks, you must mail the coin back to me, so I can choose the next volunteer as quickly as possible. The sooner the better.

To save yourself some shipping costs, you could ask each volunteer to mail the coin to the next volunteer. I don't think anyone would object to that! It should also cut the travel time to the next cacher in half.

I thought about that but in the end opted to have it sent back to me for several reasons. This allows me to maintain the documenation that goes along with the coin, send notes personally to each cacher, provide tracking, make needed changes between stops, etc. Thanks for the suggestion though ;)

Sounds cool. I'll probably need to re-read the details, b/c I didn't get much sleep last night, but I'd love to participate :DI'm actually planning a 3 week road trip across the country in August! (saw the update about vacationing) I'd love to prove the stereotypes wrong! ;)

Edited by ThirstyMick

Great idea! Will we be allowed to "dip" the coins into caches that we have previously found or own?

Good question and one more point I need to add, lol. If you do maint. on one of your caches, you may dip it BUT it does not count towards one of your cache finds. No dipping in caches you've already found. This is suppose to be an new opportunity for everyone involved, you for finding new caches, us to see the beauty of where you live.

:D:D:D Oh boy.....Unfortunatelly I found all caches in my island! :D that just disqualified me! :)

Don't let this stop you from volunteering, I do remember you talking about the lack of caches on the island you live. I am considering adding some type of rule/clause that takes this into consideration for locations such as yours and other areas with a lack of caches. One of the elements I will be looking at when I look at your profile will be the caches available to you in your area. I'm still thinking about this and the proper wording I need to use. This is why I am leaving this open for questions and comments right now, so I can consider issues I might not have thought of. I'll post an updated Rules before I open this up for volunteers.

Really??? Oh!! great!!! :D

Well, I can go in caches here in Rhodes, I will try to find time but I can surely go to some! I just can not go on mountains during summer!!! :D

It is so hot and the sun burns so much, that my sister & my brother in law will kill me if I tell them! ;)

In case of naturale beauty...even the micro cache in Monte Smith that is near my house, is in a beautiful place!!! :D

1. I would consider everyone who volunteered. There are many factors I will look at when making my decision. I may even contact some people to do a small 'interview' if I want to know more or get a 'feel' for that cacher.

2. You choose which caches you want to do. I want you to show me your stae/country/province.

Cool, so I'm not automatically disqualified for being on the road all the time. I look forward to putting my name in the hat at the right time. You're probably not interested in Truck Stop/Rest Area Cache views though, so I would have to make a special effort to pick four ther were a walk away from my Big Truck.

:D:D:D Oh boy.....Unfortunatelly I found all caches in my island! :D that just disqualified me! :D

wow, Greece must be smaller than I thought... Have you ever entertained the idea of moving to a 'cache rich' area!?!?! :D:D:D

;):):D Well, I love the island I live! Greece is a small country, with about 11 million living there! Unfortunatelly, the geocachers are less than 30, so...

the geocaching game is not well know here! I tried too, to make new geocachers, but....I always get strange questions back, like ok, and what is the price, or I have better things to do.... so...

In Greece there are about 500 caches only! they are probably about 490, but...

If you imagine that I am the only cacher living in an island and probably the only one in the southern Greece (the area under Athens!)..... If you imagine that I am the only pathtager in Greece..... see now?

Here in rhodes, there are about 17-18 caches, so...

Time to bribe some of them into hiding new Caches, by hosting an event, and letting them all discover the coin!!

Maybe for cachers living in cache density challenged areas you could add the possibility of dipping the coins in newly created caches, which will also help the area to become cache-richer.

Either way, I'll definitely nominate myself as one of the colunteers. Cool idea!

:D:D:D Oh boy.....Unfortunatelly I found all caches in my island! :D that just disqualified me! :)

Really??? Oh!! great!!! :D

Well, I can go in caches here in Rhodes, I will try to find time but I can surely go to some! I just can not go on mountains during summer!!! :D

It is so hot and the sun burns so much, that my sister & my brother in law will kill me if I tell them! ;)

In case of naturale beauty...even the micro cache in Monte Smith that is near my house, is in a beautiful place!!! :D

Maybe for cachers living in cache density challenged areas you could add the possibility of dipping the coins in newly created caches, which will also help the area to become cache-richer.

Either way, I'll definitely nominate myself as one of the colunteers. Cool idea!

This is not a bad idea! I'm headed to town to run some errands but am going to think about it. This could be done on a cacher/location, special basis only (someone like GATOULIS). Where instead of finding 4 caches, you place 4 caches and dip the coin and take pictures of the new cache locations. This would only be acceptable for people who lived in remote areas with a cache poor selection and myself and the cacher would be in agreement about placing caches instead of having to find them due to their situation.

"ADDED: No vacation caches. I want you to cache in the place you live. So for instance if you live in the United States (Montana), I expect you to find your caches in Montana."

I live in the US (North Carolina), but there are 3-5 other states within my normal radius of caching. If I, or someone else like me who often caches across state lines, were to be selected you would really want us to stick to our home state? (Or not include other states/countries if we happened to take a road trip - vacation or business - during our four week period?)

"ADDED: No vacation caches. I want you to cache in the place you live. So for instance if you live in the United States (Montana), I expect you to find your caches in Montana."

I live in the US (North Carolina), but there are 3-5 other states within my normal radius of caching. If I, or someone else like me who often caches across state lines, were to be selected you would really want us to stick to our home state? (Or not include other states/countries if we happened to take a road trip - vacation or business - during our four week period?)

That's right because this gives the people who actually live in a state/province/country to showcase their "home" area. If I picked someone from South Carolina and they did North Carolina and South Carolina caches, than anyone who volunteered from North Carolina wouldn't be picked down the road because it was already "showcased". That is why I said no vacation caches, yes, I really meant that. The only thing I can suggest is if someone does not agree with the terms of the "CHALLENGE" is to not volunteer.

Not sure if anyone asked this yet, but would taking the coin to an event or to a virtual cache count as one of the four required caches, or do the new caches have to have a physical container?

This sounds like a fun game! :D

I see I'm really going to have to setup some fine guidelines, lol.

No Virtual caches

No Events

I want an actual physical cache, Earth Caches are acceptable and I like those.

I'm giving everyone the benefit of the doubt here about what it is I'm looking for. However, I guess I had better expound: I don't want to see your local Walmart/Home Depot/IHOP, etc. if there is ever a question about what I like to see, take a look at my gallery.

Pictures with mountains, lakes, rivers, beaches, oceans, lighthouses, meadows, valleys, parks, historical sites, even a local bazaar or farmers market. Old barns and silos, old schoolhouses, historic neighborhood, pretty sunrise/sunset. you know stuff that has character to it. I hope people are getting the idea here. I hope this doesn't become one of those, I just want a coin and I'm going to do the 4 easiest caches there are. This is part of the reason when you volunteer, I will look thru your profiles, to see what kind of cacher you are and maybe even email you so I can make sure you understand what I am looking for. (When I say 'you' I mean in general terms :)).

Edited by tsunrisebey

That's right because this gives the people who actually live in a state/province/country to showcase their "home" area. If I picked someone from South Carolina and they did North Carolina and South Carolina caches, than anyone who volunteered from North Carolina wouldn't be picked down the road because it was already "showcased". That is why I said no vacation caches, yes, I really meant that. The only thing I can suggest is if someone does not agree with the terms of the "CHALLENGE" is to not volunteer.

So there'd only be one person possibly from each state too?

Now this is a fab idea!

I can't wait to see how it goes.

After this one is done, I may just have to mint some special Kuntry Kashin coins and see how many outhouses in this big ol' world of ours can get photographed! you don't mind copy cats too much do ya'? :)

I will most certainly want to volunteer for this one... but won't be able to do so until I get back from China the end of July (with all the coins I'm taking over there, my bag is liable to tip way over 50#!)

So there'd only be one person possibly from each state too?

Another lengthy answer coming up, lol. That way I can cover several issues.

2 coins: 1 coin will always be traveling overseas. The 2nd coin can travel anywhere. There may be times when they are both traveling abroad relative to the US.

The one coin will not visit all 50 states, I think everyone has figured that part out. Now, if I picked someone from Montana to travel with the coin, then anyone else who lived in Montana would no longer qualify to travel with the coin. The same thing goes for other countries/provinces: if someone from British Columbia and Italy had the coins, then everyone else from those areas could no longer volunteer. In the event that no one from another country volunteers or there are no more qualified cachers from different countries/provinces, the coins will travel in the US since we seem to have plenty of cachers from most of the states represented.

I hope I answered your question.

Not sure if anyone asked this yet, but would taking the coin to an event or to a virtual cache count as one of the four required caches, or do the new caches have to have a physical container?

No Virtual caches

No Events

I'm giving everyone the benefit of the doubt here about what it is I'm looking for. However, I guess I had better expound: I don't want to see your local Walmart/Home Depot/IHOP, etc. if there is ever a question about what I like to see, take a look at my gallery.

Pictures with mountains, lakes, rivers, beaches, oceans, lighthouses, meadows, valleys, parks, historical sites, even a local bazaar or farmers market. Old barns and silos, old schoolhouses, historic neighborhood, pretty sunrise/sunset. you know stuff that has character to it. I hope people are getting the idea here. I hope this doesn't become one of those, I just want a coin and I'm going to do the 4 easiest caches there are. This is part of the reason when you volunteer, I will look thru your profiles, to see what kind of cacher you are and maybe even email you so I can make sure you understand what I am looking for. (When I say 'you' I mean in general terms :)).

Is it ok to dip in virtuals as long as four physical caches are logged? I ask as here there are a number of very 'Washington' caches that are virtuals. Nothing screams Pacific Northwest more than Mt Rainier, but the actual caches on Rainier are virtual (not that I'd be able to go this year... just an example)

I'm sure there are lots of similar virtuals across the country, caches which focus on some very popular, prominent local feature you wouldn't want to miss :D

[Pictures with mountains, lakes, rivers, beaches, oceans, lighthouses, meadows, valleys, parks, historical sites, even a local bazaar or farmers market. Old barns and silos, old schoolhouses, historic neighborhood, pretty sunrise/sunset. you know stuff that has character to it. I hope people are getting the idea here. I hope this doesn't become one of those, I just want a coin and I'm going to do the 4 easiest caches there are. This is part of the reason when you volunteer, I will look thru your profiles, to see what kind of cacher you are and maybe even email you so I can make sure you understand what I am looking for. (When I say 'you' I mean in general terms :)).

I GOT IT Already!!! We got Redwoods, Mountains, Oceans, Trees, FIRES :) all the great stuff you wanna see! :D

Now lets get the ball rollin...Summers a burnin!!! :D:DB)

Kay, sorry bout that- Just saw Tsuns post and thought I just may actually catch the opening release of this baby! ;)

Eagerly waiting, Tapping fingers, twidling thumbs and checkin your thread!!! :D Actually I may wanna wait till the fires are out- ITS INSANE RIGHT NOW!!! I cannot even see the mountains B)

Wow! I'm out of it for a day (evening/night cache run), and I find I almost missed out on this one.

Cool idea. Sign me up, please. I'd love to be the Michigan representative for this.

By the way, there is an issue with Earthcaches - you can't drop or dip coins there. I suppose there's nothing wrong with taking coin there, but you won't be able to dip it.

No Virtual caches

No Events

Pictures with mountains, lakes, rivers, beaches, oceans, lighthouses, meadows, valleys, parks, historical sites, even a local bazaar or farmers market. Old barns and silos, old schoolhouses, historic neighborhood, pretty sunrise/sunset. you know stuff that has character to it. I hope people are getting the idea here. I hope this doesn't become one of those, I just want a coin and I'm going to do the 4 easiest caches there are. This is part of the reason when you volunteer, I will look thru your profiles, to see what kind of cacher you are and maybe even email you so I can make sure you understand what I am looking for. (When I say 'you' I mean in general terms :D).

Is it ok to dip in virtuals as long as four physical caches are logged? I ask as here there are a number of very 'Washington' caches that are virtuals. Nothing screams Pacific Northwest more than Mt Rainier, but the actual caches on Rainier are virtual (not that I'd be able to go this year... just an example)

I'm sure there are lots of similar virtuals across the country, caches which focus on some very popular, prominent local feature you wouldn't want to miss :)

You may do whatever you want as far as dipping/logging the coins BUT the 4 caches that count towards your finds NEED to be a physical or earth cache.

NOTE TO ALL: My suggestion is this, please read POST #1 every so often. Everytime a question has come up I answer it and then revise the original post. I'm also answering the same questions but just asked differently now. This is not meant to be that tough, lol. Grab 4 good phyical/earth caches, post your pics and GC#'s here within 4 weeks and you'll be fine, anything else you decide to do with the coin is extra. There are no bonus points given and only 1 coin earned B) I suggest (in post #1 also) that it is your responsibility to know the rules of the challenge and to read through the posts to learn anything new. of course I will always continue to answer questions even if they are the same one :D:D

Wow! I'm out of it for a day (evening/night cache run), and I find I almost missed out on this one.

Cool idea. Sign me up, please. I'd love to be the Michigan representative for this.

By the way, there is an issue with Earthcaches - you can't drop or dip coins there. I suppose there's nothing wrong with taking coin there, but you won't be able to dip it.

Well that is a very good point, completely forgot about that. Ok, well now it got easier :D No earth caches, lol, only physical caches :) Will edit original post :D Thanks...

NOTE TO ALL: My suggestion is this, please read POST #1 every so often. Everytime a question has come up I answer it and then revise the original post. I'm also answering the same questions but just asked differently now. This is not meant to be that tough, lol. Grab 4 good phyical/earth caches, post your pics and GC#'s here within 4 weeks and you'll be fine, anything else you decide to do with the coin is extra. There are no bonus points given and only 1 coin earned :D I suggest (in post #1 also) that it is your responsibility to know the rules of the challenge and to read through the posts to learn anything new. of course I will always continue to answer questions even if they are the same one :):D

What are you trying to say? :D

Sorry!

way cool! I am already plotting my 4 caches in hopes that I get chosen as a volunteer for this challenge! We have no mountains in Florida, but we got swamps, magnitude 1 blue springs, lots of beaches, and wooded areas much different than our northern states... (we've got these things called Palm Trees) :)

I'll be anxiously waiting for the word on when this gets started!

Edited, cause I can't spell blue right the first time....

Edited by LionsLair

Hmm...About making 4 new caches for some areas like mine.... We didn't place any cache yet, just because we are having problems with coordinates!:D

When we put the coordinates to search a cache, everything is ok, but if we try to see what the coordinates are in a place, they are not rignt!!! :)

I tried this with my home coordinates! The ones I took were leading me to Turkey, somewhere in Ismir!!! We probably do something wrong, or the system is different.... we have to search to see what is going on! The coordinates I have for my home now, are according to gogle map, I put a "flag" in the building I live, and them I had to change the coordinates into the ones Geocaching use, with te geocaching tool! I do not know how accurate I am, but things are better now! :D

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!

VOLUNTEERS BEING ACCEPTED NOW

Please only post with either the state, province or country you live in, nothing else! This will close at 5:45 pm Montana time tomorrow night (June 26th Thurs. US day/time) for the 1st round of 2 possible volunteers. As long as you understand the bulk of this challenge you are on the right track. I will make sure everything is clear to you and that you have a nice sheet of instructions at the start of this challenge. If you are selected and feel you are not able to complete the challenge after we discuss it, please let me know, you can always volunteer again. All information you need to know is in POST #1. I will repost the information everyonce in awhile throughout the course of this challenge, any additions will be reposted and highlighted in red. Remember only post the place that you live, nothing else. I will make my decision some time on Sunday (I will be gone all day Saturday for an event and Earth Turtle reservations close tomorrow and I need to wrap those issues up). Everyone will be made aware of who will start out the challenges sometime on Sunday or Monday! Let's get this baby started!