CHALLENGE: The Earth Turtle Challenge

tsunrisebey

Please Read Carefully so you understand what this Challenge is about before you volunteer yourself.

* This involves the release of 2 activated (by me) Earth Turtle geocoins.

* This will involve volunteers to help the coins travel.

* This will require you to go geocaching within a certain amount of time and find a minimum amount of caches within that amount of time.

* You will be required to travel with the activated Earth Turtle and take pictures of it at the cache site (doesn't have to be a picture of the turtle with the cache, I would prefer a nature/scenic view).

* You will be required to post the cache GC# and the picture associated with it in this thread.

* You will be required to mail the coin back to me but the coin will be mailed to another volunteer by me after I receive it.

* You may allow others to 'discover' the coin but do NOT allow virtual logging.

* The coins will be mailed with specific directions so you don't have to keep reading this thread to figure out what to do.

*** So, if you still think you are interested, please continue reading.***

I personally love to travel and see different cultures and incredible views of nature from around the world. let's face it until I win the lottery, I won't be able to travel everywhere. This is going to allow me and those of you who are interested in seeing what the world looks like, an opportunity to do so. This also gets you out caching and getting 2 coins to travel. It also (99% sure) avoids my coins from being stolen but allowing them to travel without too much worry. If you are still interested, keep reading!

Now taking into consideration everything I have just said, let me add even more about this whole thing. I am going to open up a 24 hour volunteer period prior to each release. I will post something to the affect: " Volunteers Names Being Accepted". If you are interested, all you have to do is post the Country/State/Province you are from. You have 24 hours to think about adding your name before I close the volunteer period. I will then take a couple of days to review your geocaching stats/account and check to see how active you are within the geocaching community (posts/caches/events, etc.). I will base my choice on who receives the coins to cache with first. This challenge will run for 1 year and several months (to allow for choices and mailing)! There will 24 opportunities for you all to get in on this challenge because each cacher has 1 month to complete the requirements and then mail the coins back to me so I can choose the next volunteer and get the coins mailed to you.

Now the fun part and interesting part. The 24 people who are picked and I may use some unbiased help by getting opinions from previous volunteers, family members or caching/coiner buddies, will earn a free coin for completing the challenge. This won't be just any coin, it's an upcoming coming. There will be 25 coins made of a special version of this upcoming coin. The coin you receive will be trackable but if you choose to trade/sell it, you won't be getting another one ;)

RULES:

* You have to abide by everything posted above.

* You must find 4 physical caches within 4 weeks upons receiving the coin.

* You must email me or post in this thread 24 hours within receiving the coin.

* You must post your pictures and the Cache Listing (link or GC#) here so I (we) can verify your log.

* As soon as you are done and within the 4 weeks, you must mail the coin back to me, so I can choose the next volunteer as quickly as possible. The sooner the better.

* No allowing of virtual logs.

* You may allow people to discover the coin.

* ADDED: No event caches (as one of your 4 caches, although you can take the coin to an event).

* ADDED: No virtual caches and no earth caches (because you can not dip the coin on this kind).

* ADDED: The caches that count towards your total of 4 caches must be physical caches.

* ADDED: You may dip the coin in your cache if you are doing maint. on your own cache. However, you must log you are doing a maint. check and that does NOT count as a cahce find towards your total 4 caches needed.

* Do NOT leave the coin in a cache, you must travel with it and dip/log the coin into the cache.

* You must take a picture of the coin in the natural surroundings or of a scenic/nature view, so we can see where you live, looks like.

* If you do not follow the rules or do all of the requirements, you are disqualified from receiving the special coin.

* ADDED: No vacation caches. I want you to cache in the place you live. So for instance if you live in the United States (Montana), I expect you to find your caches in Montana. If you live in Canada, British columbia, I expect you to log and find caches there. If you live in Spain, then I want to see pictures and caches logged in Spain.

* ADDED: In special circumstances, to be determined by me, for someone who lives in a "cache poor" density because of their remote location or because geocaching is not well known there (Offer void in the US and Canada). You may still volunteer. If you volunteer you will be required to place 2 small to regular size caches (no micros allowed) and have them approved within the 4 week period. You will have to follow the other rules set forth in this contest, you are hiding instead of finding.

* Please don't lose the coin or no one else will be able to participate because of it, as long as both coins are traveling, the challenge is in play.

*** Please don't volunteer if you know you can't complete this challenge. If you don't understand how this works, watch the first few people and then volunteer.

IMPORTANT: Because of the nature of this challenge, there may come a time when I need to change something due to an unforeseen circumstance. That is my right to do so.

~~~~~It is YOUR responsibility to be familiar with how this challenge works. That will probably require to read through the posts periodically. I will do my best to repost this page and add updates as needed and in red, so you know what is most recent. Let me be very clear, if you fail to abide by the rules or you do not complete your part of the challenge, you do NOT get a coin. NO EXCEPTIONS! I know there may be some sort of an emergency, unforeseen circumstance, whatever the case may be but the rules stand. You may volunteer again but you will have to wait until the next person completes the challenge before you do so.~~~~~

**************************************************************************************

I will not accept volunteers for the 1st 24 hours, to allow time for questions, me to revise if needed, moderators to look over and make any changes needed.

:D tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

I think I understand completely...I think the rules and regulations are good. Who wouldn't want an opportunity to win one of your designs....Afterall, I keep missing the presales to the V1 coins at least I might get a shot at something special here.... :D

Looking forward to the "Volunteers Names Being Accepted" Post

Just so you know I am attempting a 5/5 this weekend... ;) GCJJTP

I think I understand completely...I think the rules and regulations are good. Who wouldn't want an opportunity to win one of your designs....Afterall, I keep missing the presales to the V1 coins at least I might get a shot at something special here.... :D

Looking forward to the "Volunteers Names Being Accepted" Post

Just so you know I am attempting a 5/5 this weekend... ;) GCJJTP

Good Luck :D

Can we volunteer for a specific time period to visit caches when volunteering?

Say one was planning on flying a kite up on Mt St Helens, but they had to go when their permit was bought for (say the weekend of Sept 1st... just hypothetically speaking of course)

Also, when volunteering, should we state where we hope to take the little critter? I've a few ideas of where I would want to visit for such a challenge, but not sure whether I'm suppose to provide that info...

Wicked challenge!

EDIT TO NOTE: I answered my own question by reading the rules more closely ;)

Edited by intolerable

Let me see if I have it right: essentially, you mail a lucky cacher an activated coin, and they dip it along as they go according to cache characteristics that you stipulate (currently TBA/case-specific). They upload pictures to the forum so everyone can watch their progress. Once they finish (4 weeks maximum), they mail it back to you, and you mail it out to someone new so the whole thing can start over.

;)

That's really smart; you run an extremely low risk of losing your coins, your courier caches along mostly as normal, and the forum audience gets their entertainment. I'd love to participate, but no school means lots of work, so the summer is my slow season; perhaps I'll sign up in the fall.

Hi - this sounds awesome! A few questions, if I may...

1. I'm pretty new to geocaching, and although I'm very interested in geocoins (and really love the few I've found and so far), it's not something that is much within my budget at this time. That said - would you even consider me if I volunteered?

2. The 4 caches in 4 weeks - will those be preselected caches? Or will the volunteers select them?

3. I assume from the way you wrote this that the time limit for the 4 caches is 4 weeks. In other words, a volunteer could do all 4 in a week and send the coin back - correct?

Can we volunteer for a specific time period to visit caches when volunteering?

Say one was planning on flying a kite up on Mt St Helens, but they had to go when their permit was bought for (say the weekend of Sept 1st... just hypothetically speaking of course)

Also, when volunteering, should we state where we hope to take the little critter? I've a few ideas of where I would want to visit for such a challenge, but not sure whether I'm suppose to provide that info...

Wicked challenge!

Well in theory, yes you can volunteer during a specific time period BUT you have a number of factors at play here.

* Let's say I start the challenge on August 1st (hypothetical). I open the volunteer period for 24 hours. I get 50 volunteers for 2 coins. I take a couple of days and look through everyone's stats because I want people who are active to ensure they will support the challenge and I want to see places that I've not been before. So, one Ausgust 4th, I notify my volunteers via thread/email who they are. let's say they are both overseas cachers and the coins arrive August 20th. They have 4 weeks to complete the mission. So, I will never really have a determined time frame. it all depends on how quickly these coins travel and get mailed. it doesn't exactly run month to month, make sense? if you were picked and did your caches in 2 weeks and sent me the coin back, I'd move onto the next session. the possibilty is there of having both coins finish before the year is up or take just slightly over a year because everyone used up the time alloted.

Now, on that note, I prefer not to have people post: I'm going to such and such because I don't want that to influence my decision, lol. I won't know if people are telling the truth or not, just to get the coin. That's why it's best you just post "Washington". I don't want people posting, hey I'm going to Tahiti. I want people to show me where they live and the beauty of where they live. I suppose if I start seeing people posting those types of things, then I'll just have to ignore it. I may have to more rules, lol.

Mt. St. Helens sounds pretty darned cool and if you did go, well email me the photos, cause i would want to see either way ;)

Did I answer your question?

Let me see if I have it right: essentially, you mail a lucky cacher an activated coin, and they dip it along as they go according to cache characteristics that you stipulate (currently TBA/case-specific). They upload pictures to the forum so everyone can watch their progress. Once they finish (4 weeks maximum), they mail it back to you, and you mail it out to someone new so the whole thing can start over.

;)

That's really smart; you run an extremely low risk of losing your coins, your courier caches along mostly as normal, and the forum audience gets their entertainment. I'd love to participate, but no school means lots of work, so the summer is my slow season; perhaps I'll sign up in the fall.

Yes, that is exactly it :D

If the cacher completes the required number of caches and sends the coin back to you a few days after receiving it does that mean that more than 24 people could be chosen?

That was my question too! We can hit a lot of caches in 4 weeks....or 4 days lol.

Once a turtle hits the maximum of 12 cachers, that coin is retired from it's travels. I am only minting 25 coins (1 for me :D), so no matter how quickly one coin complete it's mission, only 12 people receive the special coin. I can only imagine how many coins I'd have to mint if I did it the other way, lol. no thanks ;)

I'll touch on another point, you can dip/log the coin in as many caches as you want but the minimum is 4 and you only need log/post 4 here but more is ok.

Since it is summer and lots of folks head out on vacation, should they lyk (either in their volunteer post or via email to you) if they will be traveling soon & where they plan to go?

Check post #10, she answered this which I violated in post #2...Sorry Tsun...

I forgot to mention what a cool cointest concept........yeah that's right it is about caching.....who would have thunk it..... ;)

Way to Go....I already have this thread going to my email...don't want to miss anything important...especially those caching pictures.

Hi - this sounds awesome! A few questions, if I may...

1. I'm pretty new to geocaching, and although I'm very interested in geocoins (and really love the few I've found and so far), it's not something that is much within my budget at this time. That said - would you even consider me if I volunteered?

2. The 4 caches in 4 weeks - will those be preselected caches? Or will the volunteers select them?

3. I assume from the way you wrote this that the time limit for the 4 caches is 4 weeks. In other words, a volunteer could do all 4 in a week and send the coin back - correct?

1. I would consider everyone who volunteered. There are many factors I will look at when making my decision. I may even contact some people to do a small 'interview' if I want to know more or get a 'feel' for that cacher.

2. You choose which caches you want to do. I want you to show me your stae/country/province.

3. Yes, you can complete the caches as quickly as you want, just don't go beyond 4 weeks. Take you time, look around for something we might all enjoy seeing pictures of and somewhere you will enjoy grabbing a cache.

1. I would consider everyone who volunteered. There are many factors I will look at when making my decision. I may even contact some people to do a small 'interview' if I want to know more or get a 'feel' for that cacher.

2. You choose which caches you want to do. I want you to show me your stae/country/province.

3. Yes, you can complete the caches as quickly as you want, just don't go beyond 4 weeks. Take you time, look around for something we might all enjoy seeing pictures of and somewhere you will enjoy grabbing a cache.

Awesome - I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one!

Thanks

When/How soon do you plan for this to commence?

Since it is summer and lots of folks head out on vacation, should they lyk (either in their volunteer post or via email to you) if they will be traveling soon & where they plan to go?

Pretty soon, like within 48 hours ;) I don't want vacation travelers and I will edit my original post. I want you caching in your home state/country/province. So if you grabbed caches, I expect you to grab caches in SD. If I were to choose you, you would be like an ambassador for your state. It's a chance to showboat what SD has to offer or Sioux Falls, lol. If you know you're going on vacation for several weeks, 1 missed volunteer session isn't going to hurt you. Everyone has 24 chances to get picked.

capiche?

Great idea! Will we be allowed to "dip" the coins into caches that we have previously found or own?

Good question and one more point I need to add, lol. If you do maint. on one of your caches, you may dip it BUT it does not count towards one of your cache finds. No dipping in caches you've already found. This is suppose to be an new opportunity for everyone involved, you for finding new caches, us to see the beauty of where you live.

Now to edit again ;)

When/How soon do you plan for this to commence?

Pretty soon, like within 48 hours ;) I don't want vacation travelers and I will edit my original post. I want you caching in your home state/country/province. So if you grabbed caches, I expect you to grab caches in SD. If I were to choose you, you would be like an ambassador for your state. It's a chance to showboat what SD has to offer or Sioux Falls, lol. If you know you're going on vacation for several weeks, 1 missed volunteer session isn't going to hurt you. Everyone has 24 chances to get picked.

capiche?

Oui, je comprends.

Great idea to do it this way. Fairly cool even. :D

Sounds great - was about to volunteer to take it to Perth, Western Australia in three weeks, but then realised that fell outside the rules.

Can all of New Zealand count - or should we divide it between South & North Island.... and would it be an idea to post between two cachers in NZ to save on back & forth international postage rates.???

That's just me pondering....

Well in theory, yes you can volunteer during a specific time period BUT you have a number of factors at play here.

* Let's say I start the challenge on August 1st (hypothetical). I open the volunteer period for 24 hours. I get 50 volunteers for 2 coins. I take a couple of days and look through everyone's stats because I want people who are active to ensure they will support the challenge and I want to see places that I've not been before. So, one Ausgust 4th, I notify my volunteers via thread/email who they are. let's say they are both overseas cachers and the coins arrive August 20th. They have 4 weeks to complete the mission. So, I will never really have a determined time frame. it all depends on how quickly these coins travel and get mailed. it doesn't exactly run month to month, make sense? if you were picked and did your caches in 2 weeks and sent me the coin back, I'd move onto the next session. the possibilty is there of having both coins finish before the year is up or take just slightly over a year because everyone used up the time alloted.

Now, on that note, I prefer not to have people post: I'm going to such and such because I don't want that to influence my decision, lol. I won't know if people are telling the truth or not, just to get the coin. That's why it's best you just post "Washington". I don't want people posting, hey I'm going to Tahiti. I want people to show me where they live and the beauty of where they live. I suppose if I start seeing people posting those types of things, then I'll just have to ignore it. I may have to more rules, lol.

Mt. St. Helens sounds pretty darned cool and if you did go, well email me the photos, cause i would want to see either way :D

Did I answer your question?

Question answered! And no trying to sway the vote with the promise of cool cache locations :D

Really look forward to seeing this challenge play out, what a great idea. Frozen Buns proposed people taking pictures of her coin at places at chilly places and outhouses and that was a lot of fun to do :D

As for Mt St Helens pictures, I'm sure I'll post a ton on my flickr account linked off my profile... unless of course I drop the cache over the edge ;)

Edited by intolerable

This sounds great!!! it'd give some inspiration to hit up the caches in the Mendocino National forest!!!! I headed out last month, but was blocked by snow...IN MAY!!! There was a 2 year old FTF and a 11 month FTF including another without a find since 06 and we got Squelched! :D So if I am to venture there with your coin...Id better catch an invite during Summer time! :D

Gotta get back out there and since id kinda HAVE to go :D , Sweetpea just may let me make a weekend of it! :D I just hope there's still tree's left! We have currently 131 fires burning just in Mendocino County!!! :D

I am sure we would be able to visit some of our own caches to show off some we may be proud of-eh? Maybe include to visit one of our own caches in your challenge...That'd be COOL!

IM IN...Just hope I catch the invite! ;):):D

Edited by 007BigD

Great idea! Will we be allowed to "dip" the coins into caches that we have previously found or own?

Good question and one more point I need to add, lol. If you do maint. on one of your caches, you may dip it BUT it does not count towards one of your cache finds. No dipping in caches you've already found. This is suppose to be an new opportunity for everyone involved, you for finding new caches, us to see the beauty of where you live.

Now to edit again ;)

:D:D:D Oh boy.....Unfortunatelly I found all caches in my island! :D that just disqualified me! :)

BTW, Does it matter if the cache is a micro? I do not think so, right?

;):D:D Oh boy.....Unfortunatelly I found all caches in my island! :D that just disqualified me! :D

wow, Greece must be smaller than I thought... Have you ever entertained the idea of moving to a 'cache rich' area!?!?! :):D:D

* As soon as you are done and within the 4 weeks, you must mail the coin back to me, so I can choose the next volunteer as quickly as possible. The sooner the better.

To save yourself some shipping costs, you could ask each volunteer to mail the coin to the next volunteer. I don't think anyone would object to that! It should also cut the travel time to the next cacher in half.

;):D:D Oh boy.....Unfortunatelly I found all caches in my island! :D that just disqualified me! :D

wow, Greece must be smaller than I thought... Have you ever entertained the idea of moving to a 'cache rich' area!?!?! :):D:D

:D:D:D Well, I love the island I live! Greece is a small country, with about 11 million living there! Unfortunatelly, the geocachers are less than 30, so...

the geocaching game is not well know here! I tried too, to make new geocachers, but....I always get strange questions back, like ok, and what is the price, or I have better things to do.... so...

In Greece there are about 500 caches only! they are probably about 490, but...

If you imagine that I am the only cacher living in an island and probably the only one in the southern Greece (the area under Athens!)..... If you imagine that I am the only pathtager in Greece..... see now?

Here in rhodes, there are about 17-18 caches, so...