Fire Towers

sweetlife

I don't think there is a really simple direct way to do what you want.

However, one could download the State Archive files from NGS for Wisconsin and Michigan, eliminate all records in Michigan except the UP, and then search for any remaining record in Wisconsin or Michigan in which the name of the record contained "LOOKOUT" or "LOT" (short for lookout tower). Then one would know the locations of most of the lookout towers (mainly intersection stations) that are in the NGS database and one could then do a radial search from them to find nearby benchmarks.

I've gone ahead and located all the "LOOKOUT" or "LOT" records (163 of them) in Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan currently in the NGS State Archive shapefiles. At the following link is a comma-separated-values (csv) file with their PIDs, State, County, Lat, and Long that you can download. LINK

Good Hunting!

Edited by tosborn

sweetlife -

I used ngsread and selected marker type 57 (Lookout Tower) and selected a PID list output.

(These are strictly the Lookout Tower PIDs, not disks near firetowers.)

For MI, I got this list (I checked the first 3 and only 1 of them is in tosborn's list):

NF1651

RL1515

RK0612

RK0651

RM0620

RL1622

RK0502

QM0585

RK0605

QK0758

RL1524

PM0551

QK0678

RK0673

PL0498

RK0623

QK0776

RL1654

NF1351

RL1552

RK0653

RH0024

RL1652

RK0616

RL1614

RK0639

For WI, I got:

QM0628

QM0627

QM0616

QN0582

QM0716

QM0714

RM0771

PO0581

QN0580

PN1300

PO0592

PO0596

QM0695

QM0631

PO0588

RL1630

QO1445

RM0831

QM0640

PN1274

QN0444

OM1243

QM0738

RM0849

QO1549

PO0579

QN0586

QM0753

QM0656

QM0635

PO0574

PN1013

QM0661

QM0743

QN0583

RM0804

OM1202

RM0702

QM0622

QO1440

RM0682

RL1606

PO0582

QM0668

RM0693

QM0617

PN1284

PO0561

PO0583

QM0690

PM0429

QN0484

QM0719

RM0835

PO0569

QN0516

QM0718

QO1446

PO0552

QM0634

OM1200

PO0617

QM0755

PO0620

PO0621

RM0817

QN0473

PO0627

QN0462

QM0739

Looks like you've got some PIDs to sort through!

I looked through my previous logs and noticed RK0533 doesn't appear to be in either list. Not sure why that one didn't get picked up, as it looks like other destroyed marks do appear. I've had several towers marked destroyed that are no longer there.

A couple things to consider...are you interested in the towers because of their status as benchmarks, or just interested in the lookout towers? Are you interested in former tower locations, even if the tower has been removed? If so, you'll find a lot of both. As I mentioned, you'll find several in both lists that I have visited and had marked destroyed as the tower is no longer standing.

If you're interested in towers or tower locations where the tower wasn't a benchmark, you can find a number of those by looking through data sheets. Often, triangulation station disks were set in the vicinity of lookout towers, because both towers and triangulation stations were set at high points. Often, one of the reference marks for a triangulation station was set in the center of the base of the tower. These towers were sometimes, but not always, included in the database. I just did a quick search of Marquette County, specifying horizontal control stations, picked a few likely suspects and came up with a couple at locations of lookout towers:

RK0513

RK0516

RK0499

The one I mentioned in the first paragraph is also in this category. I have also visited a couple where the tower was referenced in the data sheets for other stations (FOX & VULCAN, both in Dickinson County) where the tower was still standing and used for other purposes:

QM0582

QL0578

From the NGS datasheet page, you can also do a search by county for destroyed marks. In Baraga County, for example, you'll find

RL1585

which doesn't appear on either list above. Obviously, this would only get you to lookout towers that formerly existed.

Hope that helps.

Andy

>>For MI, I got this list (I checked the first 3 and only 1 of them is in tosborn's list):

Black Dog: In Michigan did you seach the whole State or only the upper peninsula? For Michigan my list is just for the upper peninsula.

Also, I noticed two records in my list that are not lookout towers, but had "lot" in the names...."Charlotte River MI - RJ1321" and "Blotch WI - PO0576" so those two can be disregarded.

Edited by tosborn

>>For MI, I got this list (I checked the first 3 and only 1 of them is in tosborn's list):

Black Dog: In Michigan did you seach the whole State or only the upper peninsula? For Michigan my list is just for the upper peninsula.

Also, I noticed two records in my list that are not lookout towers, but had "lot" in the names...."Charlotte River MI - RJ1321" and "Blotch WI - PO0576" so those two can be disregarded.

Andy: RK0533 isn't in either list because it was reported to NGS as destroyed. In my case, digital datasheet aren't provided in the State archive shapefiles for destroyed marks.

Edited by tosborn

Looks like BDT's list had several downstate ones as well. Interestingly though, there are some PIDs that didn't make either list:

RK0533

RL1585

Both are Marker Type 57, but destroyed. BDT's list has other destroyed marks...

RK0616

RK0502

That's just two examples from each list...I haven't done an exhaustive search by any means--just anecdotal based only on towers I've visited and/or marked destroyed.

EDIT: tosborn--you posted while I was typing. I had assumed the station wasn't in the list because of its destroyed status. But then I noticed a couple in the BDT list (not yours) that have also been marked destroyed by the NGS. Kinda weird.

Edited by andylphoto

I just used the whole state. I could've done it by county instead but I don't know the list of counties.

All the NGS statefiles are from October 2006; they haven't updated them yet. That would be the reason for the Destroyed/not-Destroyed differences. Present-time county files can be downloaded, but I just did a quickie look at the 2 state files from 2006.

I only used marker type 57. It could be that sometimes a firetower is coded as one of the other tower types instead of 57.

I haven't perused the listings, but past experience tells me that even if the tower is listed as a station, it is not uncommon to find a monumented mark under it set by someone that may still survive even if the tower does not. While that may be reported clearly on the NGS data sheet it might not be.

- jlw

Thank you all for the help, I am looking for towers that are standing or not, so the ones that the tower was the mark, and has since been distroyed, the base are usually there, I would like to use these as areas to hide some new caches, and have some one find some history too

Thank you all for the help, I am looking for towers that are standing or not, so the ones that the tower was the mark, and has since been distroyed, the base are usually there, I would like to use these as areas to hide some new caches, and have some one find some history too

With that in mind, here's some background on a couple. Some is duplicated from what you could read in my logs, but there's some additional information here as well.

RK0502, the Dukes lookout tower is gone, but all concrete footings are still there. The area is wooded and kind of cool--a 30-second walk from M-94.

There is a former tower near Skandia, RK0500, also very close to the highway (US-41.) Not sure if there are any remains or not, as I didn't look closely. Highway has been widened at this location.

The Three Lakes lookout tower is gone, but I believe footings are still there. It's about a half-mile drive/walk off the highway. It can be driven with a truck, and some cars. Coordinates are the same as USGS mark RL1521.

RK0533, The Gwinn tower location is kind of remote, but can be driven to with a truck or some cars. Tower is gone, but footings are still there.

RK0616, the Walsh tower is gone. Footings are still there, but not much to see at this location.

RL1585, Covington tower is gone, and the site is located on private property.

QM0582 and QL0578 in Dickinson Co. are both drive-ups. The latter is a RM located under the Vulcan tower. It's located near the Norway Mt. Ski area, so regular traffic.

If you make it up into the Keweenaw, RL1596 is located at the site of the Elm River tower. Tower is gone, but some remains are still there. I think one corner was destroyed by logging operations. You can drive to within a half mile, possibly closer with a large 4WD.

The Hairpin lookout tower is gone, but footings remain. RK0587. You can drive to within about a quarter mile or so.

Hope that information is helpful. Those are the ones I recall having personally visited. I might get a chance to visit the Wetmore tower later today. If so, I'll update with an edit.

EDIT: The Wetmore tower is still standing. It is fenced at the bottom, and used to support two-way radio antennas.

Edited by andylphoto