feature-request: different language selector for cache description

DuesterTux

Hello everybody,

used the search of this forum, but wasn't able to find a topic with that question. If actually there is one, I'm sorry. Please post a link then.

Well, I'm living in Europe and there are many different languages here. Many of the cache descriptions are written in the specific language of the country. German caches often only have german descripions, french caches only french descriptions and so on. That could be of course, because the owner does not want or is not able to write a descripion in english.

But for me, and that is especially true with multi-caches, I decided not to post an additional english description because I would have to have it done in the long description. So there would be a german and an english description both together in the "long description"-section of a cache-listing. The one who, for example, only needs the german description is then forced to print out the english description.

So ... I was wondering if it was possible or useful to implement a feature that allows the cache owner to generate descriptions in different languages for one single cache listing.

Thanks

DuesterTux

Well, I'm living in Europe and there are many different languages here. Many of the cache descriptions are written in the specific language of the country. German caches often only have german descripions, french caches only french descriptions and so on. That could be of course, because the owner does not want or is not able to write a descripion in english.

I'm in the UK and all of the caches I've looked at so far (not many I know as I'm new) have been in English only. I would guess that the vast majority of caches in the USA are also written only in English too.

I see nothing wrong in cache descriptions being written in the language of the country that they are placed in. I hope I'm not so arrogant as to expect people pander to my lack of language skills while visiting their countries. When abroad I am a visitor in their country and I should expect to conform to their way of life, including learning at least some of their language. If that means struggling with "native language" caches then so be it.

All the more incentive to familiarise myself with their language.

Hi,

first of all I want to say sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Of course you are right, when you say, that one should get into the foreign language, if visiting a foreign country. But sometimes there isn't that much time. I like multi-caches a lot and in fact I doubt, that bablefish is always the best solution for a translation of a multi-cache.

So, I will use the tips anyway, because they are great but they are more like from a cachers point of view not the owners point of view. There are owners who simply want to post an english (or french or whatever) language-version of their cache-discription. That ends with people setting up some webspace of their own just do make pdf-files with english descriptions of the caches available to cachers. They will then have a link to that pdf-file in their description, because they don't wont to have the full version of the discription in their language and the additional language in one big cache-listing.

I think those cache owners who want's to post an english-version too, would like to make it easier to foreign cachers to find the cache. I for example would have no chance to find a multi-cache in spain or portugal or poland or finland if there wasn't an englisch description. And I am not sure if I want to rely on bablefish if it comes to multi-caches.

Nevertheless, it was just an idea and of course no owner should be forced to post an english or any other language desciription besides his own language version.

Again: Thanks for your opinions and useful hints - as a cacher I will surely try out what works best for me.