YSM008 Bronwydd Arms

For anyone caching in the South Wales area and also interested in the Ye Old Survey Monuments cache (GC45CC), maxkim has currently made the Bronwydd Arms rivet a very easy find. It was previously about 4 inches under the ground but as it is at present, you now can't miss it!

I can low log it as a find after two previous unsuccessful visits. I was able to confirm that I was digging within 1m of the actual location and not deep enough!

(note, if you're unaware of this cache, you can log more than one find if you've found more than one trig-point/marker).

I was able to confirm that I was digging within 1m of the actual location and not deep enough!

Sorry - I meant to mention the opencast mining rights I've recently secured for the area - I'm about to strip-mine the entire area north of Carmarthen down to 1m - apparently it's rich in Ordnance Survey rivets!

:)

3 inches would be enough to secure this one though I suspect :D

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

O.S. rivets and bolts aren't just buried in the ground, either. Sometimes you have to work much harder to claim a find.

This one isn't a YOSM location as yet but so far, I'm the only one to have logged it on TrigpointUK :)

This topic just keeps evolving... how do you find out where they all are... how did you find this one?

Would i be right in thinking you just have to find a trigpoint and email the number to gain a find?

No, only the ones listed on the cache page!

Looking at some of the recent logs I assume that you can log any of the monuments that have been lsited at any time in the past as well?

Would i be right in thinking you just have to find a trigpoint and email the number to gain a find?

No, only the ones listed on the cache page!

Looking at some of the recent logs I assume that you can log any of the monuments that have been lsited at any time in the past as well?

So long as you've visited, yes.

O.S. rivets and bolts aren't just buried in the ground, either. Sometimes you have to work much harder to claim a find.

This one isn't a YOSM location as yet but so far, I'm the only one to have logged it on TrigpointUK

This topic just keeps evolving... how do you find out where they all are... how did you find this one?

I did a search on TrigpointingUK for all the trigpoints that no-one had logged (can't remember how I did it but there is a way) Then I went through the list to find the closest ones to my home. I think they were mostly studs, rivits and surface blocks. Then I had a grand few weekends being the first to log them... if I managed to find them. The Bunwell Church Tower was just one of them.

I believe that only pillars are marked on OS maps so you'll need to use one of the web based resources, T:UK or Trigonomy, to find the location of the little stuff :)

TrigpointingUK is probably the best place to go to locate these if you're out to bag any of the OS trig points / rivets etc.

However, if you're only interested in getting finds on the YOSM geocache, there's a slowly growing subset added to the cache's web page as new monuments are enabled. Trawling through the page for nearby monuments that can be logged as a find is tricky but if you go to http://www.yosm.co.uk/ you can download a complete list of past locations in a number of convenient formats.

I downloaded the Memory Map overlay and then zoomed in and out to see where my local ones were located.

While creating my very first cache (a multi around Snodland in Kent, now archived), I was introduced to the fact that there were more than just trig-points out there as, on my planning for the cache I discovered one of the OS surface blocks and included it as one of the clues on the multi. Its only in the last couple of months I have found out about the rivets and studs - YSM008 was my first rivet and I found my first stud yesterday (also a YOSM - YSM118 Swanbridge) - it's so small that I expect that most people don't even notice it less than realise its significance!

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

TrigpointingUK is probably the best place to go to locate these if you're out to bag any of the OS trig points / rivets etc.

...although there is a section on this very site too. When I set up my (few) OS bolt pages, I used the local authority's on-line map to locate the mysterious objects. I must get some more done!