South Africa 3000 caches

the pooks

For the numbers fans. Down in the UK they have just hit 30000 active caches (on the GC homepage do a search for caches by country and select the country) - well they hit it and then slipped as archiving caches influences things. I see we are on 2866 as of now (June 24 20h00). So first guess - when do we hit the big 3k. As a first stab I say July 15. Subject to change without notice.

Thanks for half answering a twopart question:

1) How many caches in SA?

2) How many cachers in SA? (That is, how many registered cachers?) Any estimate on "active" cachers in SA? (I don't know how to define "active" but would assume something like active in the last year)

That sound like a GR8 idea! What are we talking about, distance wise?

Depends where you are starting, but probably one or two thousand. You could take your time....

I see also that the western cape is far ahead on the number of caches....good to live here!

We are now standing on 2953 on 6 Aug 2008 (9:20am) .....

iNokia submitted 11 caches in 2 days!!!

Hope there is at lest 11 to find during the up coming PE Event. We might need to move the event to the country side (Road trip) next time :mad:. Looking forward to seeing you all at the event.

*Quickly runs out and drops 50 caches between here and nowhere and publishes all tonight hopefully making an otherwise interesting day for Andy tomorrow and hopes to hit the 3000 mark.*

In all honesty this is just another milestone and if any I hope it comes in september at a lovely spot in the berg at exactly 3000m asl with a few cachers to verify it. Hold olut boys it is packed already and ready to be placed. It is a big number and if we can correspond with the same height what more can we ask for.

Latest Update

(6 Aug) (22Aug)

West Cape (709) (705)

Gauteng (650) (646)

KwaZNatal (441) (448)

East Cape (345) (356)

Mpumalanga (340) (342)

Limpopo (200) (201)

North West (116) (118)

Free State (108) (107)

North Cape (45) (44)

-------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL (2954) (2967)

I still have an unanswered question. Does anyone know how many people geocache in South Africa? (That is, live in SA, or were living in SA when they registered, and geocache) Any idea approximately how many still "active" (definition?).

I know we get visitors, we immigrate, we return. But I want to know what the approximate size of the geocaching community in SA is. :sad:

I see a huge difference between my stats and other guys. I am not claiming to be a guru with my figures. My figures could be hopelessly wrong. <_< I hunted caches in the PE area that was archived. So there are flaws. I am only showing my stats as found in my database. Please do not stab me for this.

I started with geocaching in October 2008. The program I use is GSAK and I do download all caches. Some of the caches that I downloaded since October 2008 are now archived. But I keep some of these caches as they are in good locations and I do visit the location even with no cache present. At the end it is not only to get the numbers. Therefore I have more than 3000 caches in my database.

At present my database is telling me the following.

• Only 82 different cachers visited the tonteldoos series caches.

• There are 496 different cache owners that have planted caches in South Africa.

• There are 895 micros available.

• There are 1144 small caches.

• There are 922 regular ones.

• There are 35 large caches.

• On my database there are 136 other caches such as events, earth, camera, CITO, etc.

• If I exclude “others” then there are a total of 2996 caches. This includes some caches that are archived and some in Swaziland and in Lesotho. If I deduct these then I get very close to the official figure on geocaching.com.

• This will then calculate to an average of 6 caches per unique cacher. This is very close to the 5 calculated elsewhere.

• CrystalFairy have 297 cachers on her database.

• If I scan through some of the names it becomes very hard to determine active cachers. Some guys were quiet for years and they return. Does this mean that they were inactive? So, we now have to bring in a time frame. Let us use a 6 months window to determine who was active in this period. Even one cache find will indicate status as active. Run this on the database and I then come up with a very strange figure of 218 active cachers. Is this correct – I have no idea. Some of my caches in the database could be out of date.

• The total database records are very close to the official count. So let us assume a 5% error in the database. This will indicate that there could be between 207 and 229 active cachers in South Africa. CrystalFairy have 297 cachers in her database. To me this could be a realistic figure.

• Let us verify this figure with geocachers.co.za. There are 366 different names listed. Go through the list and you get to plus minus 149 names give and take, which is still in the 6 months window. A lot of the new guys on the block are not listed as well as experienced guys such as FishEagle. My database should be more accurate. The figure of 218 and 207 could be a reasonable estimate. I would therefore assume or more accurate an estimate of between 207 and 218 active cachers inside a 6 months window as a limit. :unsure:

Ok, my 2 cents. I wanted to express this in Zim dollar but then the figure is is too important. :rolleyes:

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

• CrystalFairy have 297 cachers on her database.

• The total database records are very close to the official count. So let us assume a 5% error in the database. This will indicate that there could be between 207 and 229 active cachers in South Africa. CrystalFairy have 297 cachers in her database. To me this could be a realistic figure.

After looking at the stats mentioned, we wish to point out that they are really not accurate. Just glancing at the Western Cape ones, we notice at least four or five very active cachers not on the list and many more also in the Eastern Cape, that are busy placing them and finding them very regularly.

Some of those on the list haven't cached in the last six months, if not longer.

Also the finds statistics are incorrect for some cachers, so it would appear they have been inactive, when they actually have been caching.

The figure of 218 and 207 could be a reasonable estimate.

Gee whiz! Thanks Gerard for such a comprehensive reply!

we wish to point out that they are really not accurate.
550 unique cache owners

So, I am getting a feel for this....Probably (at a huge thumb suck)

about 700 - 1000 cahers from SA active since the start of the sport.

About 500 of us "actively" caching in the county?

Perhaps a slight over estimate?

Wow! So few people, so many quality caches!

Feels a little like a naughty little secret, this geocaching thing! So few of us in on the secret! ;)

Amazing!

South Africa has a population of 43,997,828 (2007 estimate), which gives a population density of 36 persons per sq km (93 per sq mi). South Africa has a multiracial and multi-ethnic population. Of the nearly 44 million inhabitants, approximately 75 per cent of the population is black African, 13 per cent is white, 9 per cent is Coloured (mixed ethnic background), and 3 per cent is Asian.

With other words with 500 cachers against 43 000 000 muggles we should be happy if only a few caches get muggled. ;) For every cache in South Africa there is 14300 muggles. If there are 500 cachers then there are 86 000 muggles for each cacher. Luckily we are not at war. :D

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

And of the 500 active cachers... it is sad to say that it takes only one of them to attempt any cache above 2900m... that requires more than climbing a chain ladder. And been a bit concerned about the huge ratio of muggles to cachers I will be doing a maintenance run on my highest cache this weekend. You never know how many muggles could have been up that mountain in the last month....

Wazat, please use caution when going alone up mountains - especially this time of the year...

..not to be negative - but this listing below made me think a bit more about where I go caching and when and with how many people.. :-) You never know what you may be getting yourself into! B)

I found this cache on event day in Cullinan - and its an awesome cache!!

"Stinky's Little Buddy" Cache in Cullinan just outside Pretoria

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

:laughing: Enjoy the trip up! ..and be safe! B)

I started with geocaching in October 2008. The program I use is GSAK and I do download all caches. Some of the caches that I downloaded since October 2008 are now archived. But I keep some of these caches as they are in good locations and I do visit the location even with no cache present. At the end it is not only to get the numbers. Therefore I have more than 3000 caches in my database.

For your curiosity/frustration/delectation:-

The total number of caches published in South Africa from dot is about 3747. I say "about" as there may be one or two that escaped a query if they were published and then archived almost immediately... and of course it could change any second :laughing:

As for the various ranking sites, there are quite a few "active cachers" which aren't listed on either/neither.

I can pick up 1853371 registered accounts on GC.com, but who knows how many actual/active cachers that represents and from where.

The GC site also stated this morning that

There are 646,985 active caches worldwide. In the last 7 days, there have been 537,483 new logs written by 69,869 account holders

So in the last 7 days, the "active cachers" on average found 7 caches, i.e. 1 per day. That only tells me one thing..... I need to go find some caches B)

If I analyze anymore than I will suffer from analysis paralysis. Much better to enjoy the caches than doing the numbers.

But at the end the bottom line is that we are only a few people doing caching. We do have about 3000 caches to hunt which is still ok.

B) Yes, and I am very jealous when I read about the huge number of caches around a very lucky cacher in the UK.

But this discussion gave me another view on caching. There is huge potential in South Africa to add more cachers. :laughing:

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Latest Update (20 new caches added lately, some de-activated)

DATE: 6 Aug - 22Aug - 8Sep

West Cape: 709 - 705 - 708

Gauteng: 650 - 646 - 643

KwaZNatal 441 - 448 - 447

East Cape: 345 - 356 - 361

Mpumalanga: 340 - 342 - 344

Limpopo: 200 - 201 - 204

North West: 116 - 118 - 118

Free State: 108 - 107 - 107

North Cape: 45 - 44 - 44

TOTAL: 2954 - 2967 - 2976

Edited by amaSoekSoek

2997 UP! of which 5 are Event caches....

DATE: 6 Aug - 22Aug - 8Sep - 15 Sep

West Cape: 709 - 705 - 708 - 709

Gauteng: 650 - 646 - 643 - 645

KwaZNatal 441 - 448 - 447 - 453

East Cape: 345 - 356 - 361 - 367

Mpumalanga: 340 - 342 - 344 - 348

Limpopo: 200 - 201 - 204 - 205

North West: 116 - 118 - 118 - 119

Free State: 108 - 107 - 107 - 107

North Cape: 45 - 44 - 44 - 44

TOTAL: 2954 - 2967 - 2976 - 2997

Yes indeed: we are on 3000 caches at the moment. Except for Gorgeous Gorge (on top of the list but an event cache that is yet to come) one can give Second Waterfall the honours of the 3000th cache.

Now that might start a debate as 5 new caches were listed on the 14th and since Groundspeak lists the within day listings in chronological reverse order it could also be Rocky tree.

Maybe Fish Eagle can clarify.

Edited by the pooks

Yes indeed: we are on 3000 caches at the moment. Except for Gorgeous Gorge (on top of the list but an event cache that is yet to come) one can give Second Waterfall the honours of the 3000th cache.

Now that might start a debate as 5 new caches were listed on the 14th and since Groundspeak lists the within day listings in chronological reverse order it could also be Rocky tree.

Maybe Fish Eagle can clarify.

Hey, I wish I could, but I can't see the list which you do, so I've been unable to see the 3000 coming up.

My list includes all the archived caches and never published caches, so I'm way past 3000 already!! :)

Per my email notifications which have a time stamp, Rocky Tree was the first published on the 14th, so the order seems to be bottom-up. Hope this helps.