Event Notifications

russellvt

For turning "event notifications" (ie. "Instanotify" Notification Service with a "Event Cache" or "Mega-Event Cache") it would be nice if we could get alerts from further than 50 miles. Particularly for remote areas, 50 miles may not be far enough to be of much benefit to some. It would also be nice if you could just say "any type of event" so-as to combine the two.

Yeah, I understand that you can still achieve the same thing with a PQ (though it's not "instant," which could be a problem for "last minute events"). Also, with a number cap of 500 caches (ie. a hard DB limit on the SQL query), it seems a little crazy (possibly computationally "expensive") to also worry about the distance in certain instances like this... though I know an event 500 miles away is probably of little concern to most folks, too (*laugh*).

For turning "event notifications" (ie. "Instanotify" Notification Service with a "Event Cache" or "Mega-Event Cache") it would be nice if we could get alerts from further than 50 miles. Particularly for remote areas, 50 miles may not be far enough to be of much benefit to some. It would also be nice if you could just say "any type of event" so-as to combine the two.

Yeah, I understand that you can still achieve the same thing with a PQ (though it's not "instant," which could be a problem for "last minute events"). Also, with a number cap of 500 caches (ie. a hard DB limit on the SQL query), it seems a little crazy (possibly computationally "expensive") to also worry about the distance in certain instances like this... though I know an event 500 miles away is probably of little concern to most folks, too (*laugh*).

The weekly email from Groundspeak lists events up to 200 miles away plus all mega events. If you receive it.

The weekly email from Groundspeak lists events up to 200 miles away plus all mega events. If you receive it.

:D

Hmmm... evidently I don't manage to read it, much. :)

:D

(seems kinda odd that the feature, as-written, would be of little use, though... /shrug)

Thanks much!

Yeah, I understand that you can still achieve the same thing with a PQ (though it's not "instant," which could be a problem for "last minute events").

Not sure if you know, but events have to be published at least 2 weeks before the actual event, for that very reason, to give people time to plan.

Yeah, I understand that you can still achieve the same thing with a PQ (though it's not "instant," which could be a problem for "last minute events").
Not sure if you know, but events have to be published at least 2 weeks before the actual event, for that very reason, to give people time to plan.

Yeah, I was hoping/figuring there was some sort of requirement for such, though I've recently missed "local" events that I didn't see until either the night before or a night or two afterward... though that probably just implies that I wasn't looking in the right spot or something.

Thanks for the reply/info!

By appending ?dist=200 to ANY search you can see all caches (of that search type) out to 200 miles. Your mileage might differ, put in your own number.

For example http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?dist=200 for an 'Advanced search' of Events that I have not attended around zip xxxxx...

Of course all that does not get put into the URL, but that's what the URL looks like during that search.

P.S. The most distant spot on the Earth is ~25000 miles away but this feature only allows you to go as far as 999 miles

I mush prefer the weekly email, as that's the area I'm most likely to go to attend an event.

Edited by trainlove

On the right side of your 'My Account' page is a link to 'List newest in your state'. Upcoming events are always listed first on the resulting page. Of course, if you live near the border of another state where you might attend an event, your search will be just a tad more difficult. A few additional clicks and some more input will show you a similar page for any state (or country, for that matter) you care to look at.

On the right side of your 'My Account' page is a link to 'List newest in your state'. Upcoming events are always listed first on the resulting page. Of course, if you live near the border of another state where you might attend an event, your search will be just a tad more difficult. A few additional clicks and some more input will show you a similar page for any state (or country, for that matter) you care to look at.

Nice, thanks! I had seen that link but was thinking of "what use" it could be (assuming it was for all cache types). Of course, residing in a state that can take 2/3rds of a day to drive through makes this a bit more tedious, but probably still usable.

But yeah... I tend to switch residences between states... just means I update my home coordinates as-needed. Sounds like it'd work in this case, too.

Nice, thanks! I had seen that link but was thinking of "what use" it could be (assuming it was for all cache types). Of course, residing in a state that can take 2/3rds of a day to drive through makes this a bit more tedious, but probably still usable.

But yeah... I tend to switch residences between states... just means I update my home coordinates as-needed. Sounds like it'd work in this case, too.

It is indeed my greatest satisfaction to be of assistance!

By appending ?dist=200 to ANY search you can see all caches (of that search type) out to 200 miles. Your mileage might differ, put in your own number.

For example http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?dist=200 for an 'Advanced search' of Events that I have not attended around zip xxxxx...

Of course all that does not get put into the URL, but that's what the URL looks like during that search.

P.S. The most distant spot on the Earth is ~25000 miles away but this feature only allows you to go as far as 999 miles

I mush prefer the weekly email, as that's the area I'm most likely to go to attend an event.

Actually it's 12,500 miles.