iPhone 2.0

Hey all.

I've never posted in these forums, but I thought since I'm a geocacher and have plans to look into making some geocaching software for the iPhone that I would get some opinions. I'd also like to know if anyone cares if this happens or not. Obviously if nobody cares I may drop the idea, but I think it would be cool. =)

I'm relatively new to geocaching and am still fairly casual in my hunting. However, from what I can see of other mobile geocaching applications there is a need to be filled with easy to use convenient on-the-go geocaching. I'd like to try getting something going. If things go well I'll have the first revision released soon after the app store comes online.

So, a few questions.

- Would it be important to you to have this software work with the iPod touch or only the iPhone? Why/Why not?

- How many geocaches do you deal with regularly? Do you generally just need a few here and there or the more the merrier?

- If you want to find a geocache, how do you generally find one you are interested in looking for? (i.e. by type, by distance to current location, by difficulty, etc)

- What do you wish that current software out there could do for you that it doesn't do already? (Give me your geocaching wishlist!)

I will be likely using apple's app store for distribution, so this likely will not work on jailbroken phones or iPod touches. Apple's license agreement is very clear that you cannot use their SDK and release jailbroken apps. Apologies if this leaves anyone out in the cold.

Thanks in advance for opinions, suggestions, criticism, etc.

It looks like the iPhone will utilize Google maps with the GPS functionality. Obviously integrating cache data with google Maps would be awesome. I still plan on using my trusty Garmin when I get out of my car, so gearing the applications towards organizing the hunt and managing getting from cache A to cache B would be ideal..

My reservations about using the iPhone:

1 )Will the GPS/Google maps work when you don't have an AT&T cellular signal?

2) Up to 5 to 6 hours 3G internet usage time may not be sufficient.

2a) You need a fully charged unit before you go. Any phone calls and roaming during the caching session will detract from the maximum internet usage time.

2b) Do you need constant internet connectivity to use the google maps or are they cached?

3) Battery is not replaceable. Once the phone goes dead, you have to go home...unless you have another GPS with you....which sort of defeats the purpose.

I will stick with my Garmin Colorado.

Edited by fourbeer

Thanks for the input you guys.

jbhodj & Drake, thanks for pointing this out. After looking over the website it looks like it has promise, and likely very useful for what it is trying to accomplish. And it's useable today. =) I have some of the same goals and iGeocacher is a good example of some of what I want to provide with this project.

Along those lines, ReadyOrNot, I would want a portion of what I am doing to be usable as a cache manager, not just as a geocaching device. In that respect I think that iGeocacher could work reasonably well. I am definitely planning on allowing for cache management along similar lines.

fourbeer, I don't have much new information to you, it sounds like you know the answers already for these comments.

1) (and arguably 2b) I believe you cannot use the google maps feature unless you have an internet connection. I have an idea of how to get around this, but that will be some work and probably won't make it in version 1.0. I'd like it to, but we'll see. I think this is across the board for the iPhone and google maps. One of the benefits and downfalls of the iPhone platform is it assumes you are always connected. Especially in this case that may not be true.

From what I gather in 2, 2a and 3 you are speaking as if you regularly go geocaching for upwards of 6+ hours at a time. I know that this happens, is this the exception or the norm? Most that I know of only get maybe 3-4 caches in a given session. Inherent with the iPhone are limitations on using it for a full time GPS for long periods, and I don't think I can gear my application for that market because of that. I'd love to be able to have better answers for solving these issues, but it's a hardware limitation. If you do outings for that long the iPhone isn't your platform, plain and simple. I did have a good idea that this wouldn't be the end all be all of GPS's, but you make a valid point even if you're not meaning to -- this application should be geared more towards quicker sessions than long term GPSing.

1) (and arguably 2b) I believe you cannot use the google maps feature unless you have an internet connection. I have an idea of how to get around this, but that will be some work and probably won't make it in version 1.0. I'd like it to, but we'll see. I think this is across the board for the iPhone and google maps. One of the benefits and downfalls of the iPhone platform is it assumes you are always connected. Especially in this case that may not be true.

From what I gather in 2, 2a and 3 you are speaking as if you regularly go geocaching for upwards of 6+ hours at a time. I know that this happens, is this the exception or the norm? Most that I know of only get maybe 3-4 caches in a given session. Inherent with the iPhone are limitations on using it for a full time GPS for long periods, and I don't think I can gear my application for that market because of that. I'd love to be able to have better answers for solving these issues, but it's a hardware limitation. If you do outings for that long the iPhone isn't your platform, plain and simple. I did have a good idea that this wouldn't be the end all be all of GPS's, but you make a valid point even if you're not meaning to -- this application should be geared more towards quicker sessions than long term GPSing.

I don't know if long caching sessions are the norm or not. My guess would be not.

In that case, the iPhone would be handy to whip out as you are driving home from errands to do a little caching with the kids (I always have my phone with me. I don't always have my GPS). I had not thought of using it like this.

Nice idea. I look forward to seeing your application.

-4B

I don't have either unit yet, but if the iPod Touch were to acquire GPS capability, I'd be much more likely to buy one of those vs. an iPhone, because I don't need a cell phone. Whether Apple would put GPS capability in a device that wouldn't be able to get location assistance from the cellular network is, of course, a debatable question. But I can hope. :-)

Patty