Hello to you all.

I'm new to this geocaching in fact I've never done it before. I'm currently reading up and preparing for my first exploit this coming weekend. Just hope I find something and not left wandering around a field frustrated.

Anyway it seems a real fun activity. But a couple of questions.

Why have I never seen any of you guys & gals out there looking for caches? I live in the country and anyone wandering around sticks out like a sore thumb. There are loads of caches around my area and I've not seen any unusual activity by people. Puzzles me. You lot must be good at not being seen.

Also, am I right in thinking that caches are all accessible via rights of way such as bridle or footpaths?

I've had many a run in with farmers whilst cycling. I just want to be prepared if I have to venture into any fields and that time honoured phrase shouted at me 'Gert orf me laaand'.

Tally ho and away I go.

Welcome to the Forum, Watford Wobble. :D

The reason that you haven't spotted any cachers out in the wild (as yet) is because we all try to be fairly inconspicuous and avoid muggles (Which is what you were, until you started to read up about Geocaching :) )

Now to your rather more complicated question about where caches are placed... hmmmm. Let's just say - Choose which cache you want to find, look at the Difficulty/ Terrain stars at the top of the cache description and don't give yourself to big a challenge for your first attempt. Look at where the cache seems to be on a map. Approach it via marked Footpaths/Rights of Way, wherever possible... and if you come across any fences/padlocked gates/signs that say "Private" then I would suggest you turn around, go home and email the cache owner to check on access :D

MrsB (who is unwilling to open any cans of worms at this time of day)

Watford Wobble? That must be taken from the Horns last 2 seasons and no doubt the next one to come :)

The caches should all be on public land (but won't be!) but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't stray off into private land without realising it. Think your cycling experience should pretty much be replicated when caching. That said, I don't think I have had anyone tell me to get orf his land yet. It could be the case of course that some illegal private land notices are up, as the landowners aren't too impressed with right to roam and all that.

Why have I never seen any of you guys & gals out there looking for caches? I live in the country and anyone wandering around sticks out like a sore thumb. There are loads of caches around my area and I've not seen any unusual activity by people. Puzzles me. You lot must be good at not being seen.

We're all just experts at stelth and general sneakiness! :)

Geocachers- we're like Ninja, only just cooler! :D And geekier!

Why haven't you seen me?? :)

I always wear a Hi-Vis jacket, and there are a few others who do also, so perhaps that man checking water meters, looking up telegraph/electric poles, paying a lot of attention to an ivy covered tree, poking about in a brick wall, inspecting park benches etc etc, TOO MANY CLUES THERE!!!, was in fact a cacher :D:D

Nick

As time goes by you might invest in a PDA and memory map (OS for PDA), but for now make sure you click on the "street map" map link when viewing a cache, as it shows the footpaths near the cache.

Not sure if that's a feature only available to premium members though. Otherwise, buy an OS map for your area.

If the cache is in a park, or something similar, you don't need to worry too much about the map.

Hope that helps.

Edited by the_dog

...........all caches have been placed with the landowner's permission ..........

Ha!

What do you mean?

I've yet to place my first cache but I've read the guidelines and they state:

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location.

Surely a cache has to play by the rules or it won't get approved.

Now I like Bed Clangers thoughts on wearing high viz vests. Loads of people in various occupations now wear them and take no notice. Grief, even news readers reporting from a scene wear the dadgum things. Add a hard hat and you could pretty much stroll anywhere without anyone bashing an eyelid.

I must admit when I read about asking permission of the land owner blah de blah thought this will be a 'hot potatoe'. I'm surrounded by fields and I've no idea who owns them.

Digging out the old push bike tonight for Friday's forage.

I also wonder if there is a hardcore of geocahers who hate seeing the popularity of the 'sport' increase. It was even mentioned on Chris Evans show but I think the callers reference washed over him.

As far as being welcome here we have had nothing but help from other cachers since I started in February on here and by email and have met 2 in the field up to now. I looks to me that it does not matter if you use the cheapest GPSr or the latest all singing dancing one we have been very welcome with my lowly N95.

I'm new to this geocaching in fact I've never done it before. I'm currently reading up and preparing for my first exploit this coming weekend. Just hope I find something and not left wandering around a field frustrated.

Anyway it seems a real fun activity. But a couple of questions.

Also, am I right in thinking that caches are all accessible via rights of way such as bridle or footpaths?

I've had many a run in with farmers whilst cycling. I just want to be prepared if I have to venture into any fields and that time honoured phrase shouted at me 'Gert orf me laaand'.

Tally ho and away I go.

This made me smile, as I have been caching since 2002 and also running and cycling around the countryside and never once have I or any of the Spokes met another person who was a cacher.

We have met over 10 people with different types of handhold GPS units but none of them had heard of Geocaching.

A big welcome to the crazy world of geocaching :)

We do try to stay inconspicuous, especially when there are people around, hi-viz jackets work well if you need to inspect benches/lamp posts etc, and one of my favourites is hanging around with my mobile phone to my ear, nodding occasionally whilst I'm looking for a cache!

I'm also not going to open the can of worms (much) but I will say that all of the 200+ caches I've found have been on publicly accessible land, were they there with permission? That's something only the cache owner knows.

Use the Streetmap or google map at geocaching.com links on the cache page to get maps showing where the cache is, feel free to print and take a map with you and don't be too ashamed to use the hint!

And if you find a travel bug or geocoin, make sure you log it online and plan to place it in another cache soon, if you have any trouble with anything, we're a freindly bunch, so ask any questions on here :D

As far as being welcome here we have had nothing but help from other cachers since I started in February on here and by email and have met 2 in the field up to now. I looks to me that it does not matter if you use the cheapest GPSr or the latest all singing dancing one we have been very welcome with my lowly N95.

Absolutely - any GPS will do, although I'd strongly recommend Garmins. I've got a Geko 201, which is pretty much the most basic one they make, and it does everything you need to find loads of caches. The majority of my finds have been with it. The more expensive GPS units do lots of nifty things, but it's ultimately bells and whistles - cheapie ones have all you need.

Absolutely - any GPS will do, although I'd strongly recommend Garmins. I've got a Geko 201, which is pretty much the most basic one they make, and it does everything you need to find loads of caches. The majority of my finds have been with it. The more expensive GPS units do lots of nifty things, but it's ultimately bells and whistles - cheapie ones have all you need.

:D I agree about the 201. I lost mine recently and have just replaced it with another of the same :)

Yes CL I've decided my first find is to be GCXMR9 Curiosities Kilsby Towers near Rugby. It looks easy, has been visited recently and is near to home.

I've figured out my Garmin and pretty much understand it. Still a little puzzled about finding a location by the unit calculating the location by averaging. Does this mean it will be more accurate in pin pointing the location?

I will let you know how I get on. Even if I don't find it I'm sure I'll have a good cycle and walk. Can't wait.

Oh, the wife wasn't too impressed when I told her what I'd bought. But I'll swing her around to the idea. Better than us running marathons all the time.

Well, I had a great day. Three out of three ain't bad for a complete novice.

Really enjoyed myself but cor ain't there a lot of admin work.

Waiting now for my next mile stone whatever that will be.

Good fun. :anicute:

Glad you had a great time :anicute:

I presume the "admin work" is the logging of the caches? Don't worry, it becomes second nature and all part of the fun :D

Oh well, not a great success at the weekend with only a 25% success rate for 4 caches around Barby, Northamptonshire.

However 100% success rate in walking to places I'd never been before even though living in the area for 42 years. Seeing some great views on my doorstep. And sleeping like a log on Friday night.

So not all bad then.

Oh well, not a great success at the weekend with only a 25% success rate for 4 caches around Barby, Northamptonshire.

However 100% success rate in walking to places I'd never been before even though living in the area for 42 years. Seeing some great views on my doorstep. And sleeping like a log on Friday night.

So not all bad then.

Welcome to the obsession. Your point above is still what I love about Geocaching. It gives you a good excuse to visit nearby places that you would never have thought of going to "Just for a walk". :ph34r: