Cycling team Slipstream signs Garmin as top sponsor

It's not really related to Geocaching: Last week Garmin signed on as top sponsor for U.S.-based cycling team Slipstream Sports. Garmin was a lower-tier sponsor, but ponied up bigger money to be the "name" sponsor. It's now the "Garmin Chipotle H30" team. New jerseys and logos for the boys in argyle will be unveiled on July 3, 2 days before the start of the Tour de France.

Here's a news release.

They'll be using the Edge 705 in their training. I wonder if they paid for all the unlock codes needed for all the bikes? :)

I guess having Garmin sponsor a cycling team makes about as much sense as any other sponsor: mobile phones, appliance manufacturers, national lotteries, postal services. At least there's some tie-in. Let the griping begin: "Why don't they spend that money on developing better, cheaper maps!"

Slipstream got invited to the Tour de France. They purport to be drug-free. Kinda ironic since David Millar, part owner and on the squad finished a 2-yr suspension for using performance enhancing drugs in 2006. But, the team appears to be for real, and Millar appears to be sincere about being clean - we shall see...

It's not really related to Geocaching: Last week Garmin signed on as top sponsor for U.S.-based cycling team Slipstream Sports. Garmin was a lower-tier sponsor, but ponied up bigger money to be the "name" sponsor. It's now the "Garmin Chipotle H30" team. New jerseys and logos for the boys in argyle will be unveiled on July 3, 2 days before the start of the Tour de France.

I can just imagine all the chatter between the team members during the Tour de France:

"My Garmin reckons there's a quicker route via Annecy."

"No, you fool - that way goes on the Auto-route. You've forgotten to select "Avoid toll-roads"."

"Hey, look, there's a geocache coming up on the left. Think I'll just stop and see if I can find it."

"Darn, I forgot to calibrate my barometric altimeter this morning. Now I won't know how far we climbed on this Alpine leg to Chamonix. I'll just duck back to the hotel to re-set it, and I'll catch you up later."

"Anyone got a Custom POI for a public toilet around here? I'm absolutely busting!"

I hope their 705 units work better than the one I have or others I read about on motionbased.com cause if I was a pro cyclist trying to train with that I'd just toss it out the window. I've even been frustrated with mine as just an intermediate cyclist. So far the issues I've had with mine:

The center button self activating on rough roads/trails

Tracks/routes do not display or navigate correctly

issues with the auto wheel size calibration being wrong

Significant errors in elevation tracking, total ascent/descent, total mileage etc.

The guys trying to use them with a power meter are having huge headaches

autopause/autoresume is not working correctly, pausing when riders are still moving

tracking under about 4mph is really erratic

%grade cutting out during rides

time/ascent/trip info downloaded from the unit does not match what was displayed on the unit at the end of the ride.

So I hope the units they get are better than what we are getting or I feel bad for their training at least they will have a good excuse if they don't win, their sponsor sabotaged their training program ;)

So I hope the units they get are better than what we are getting

Ain't that the way it always works? The pros get the experimental kit (like "electric Dura Ace" ) well before the public sees it. They'll be using the "pro" model 705, for sure. If it's like any other company's R&D, the Garmin cycling units should improve from this relationship.

[OT] I'm wondering whether any teams will be testing the new Campy Super Record 11-speed stuff. And if so, they should be carrying a Spinal Tap logo somewhere... :-)

I'm wondering whether any teams will be testing the new Campy Super Record 11-speed stuff. And if so, they should be carrying a Spinal Tap logo somewhere... :-)

Kinda hard to ride when your 'Sportin' armadillo' wrapped in tin foil ain't it?

Norm

1978 Rodriguez Road & track (531 welded by the Angel himself, to fit ME)

Not real exotic by todays standards but it still suits my needs. 23#

Oh yeah and an Alien.

I'm wondering whether any teams will be testing the new Campy Super Record 11-speed stuff. And if so, they should be carrying a Spinal Tap logo somewhere... :-)

Kinda hard to ride when your 'Sportin' armadillo' wrapped in tin foil ain't it?

Plus, the tinfoil must surely affect the satellite reception! :)

Ain't that the way it always works? The pros get the experimental kit (like "electric Dura Ace" ) well before the public sees it. They'll be using the "pro" model 705, for sure. If it's like any other company's R&D, the Garmin cycling units should improve from this relationship.

That's very true. I'm always amused by the people that think they can walk in and plunk down $7K for lance armstrong's trek or another pro athletes bike. Same is true of bows or guns, top sponsored shooters get custom built everything, what you buy of the shelf is not what they are using. But it makes for good marketing.

Todd