I hid it why didnt they come ?

I wouldn't worry on it. It's getting good logs. It is out of the main stream and this probably will allow your cache to have better longevity. Those that look for this will appreciate being part of the few that found it rather than the part of the many.

Edited by TotemLake

I've had two caches out for over a year and only about 20 people have found them in that time. I suspect it's the longer hike (about 1 mile rt from the closest parking, about 3 from the recommended parking) and hilly terrain that keeps folks away, which is a shame because it's the main reason I hid them. And it's not so bad that my 3-year old couldn't handle it -- he has.

Looking at your cache page, it's definitely one I'd want to hit if I were visiting the area.

Also, it's 1.5 miles to the next closest cache -- you don't expect people to go that far for one cache, do you? :D

Edited by Dinoprophet

I placed a cache about 4 weeks ago and I am more than happy to have 5 finds! They all comment how they enjoyed the walk and the birds they are there to hear and possibly see.

So it all depends on your expectations. I am also aware we are from a less populated area than a major urban core so again numbers depend on the local and transient geocaching population.

I just thought there would be MORE.

In today's environment, it's often that the better your cache is, the fewer finds it will have. If you want a lot of findsjust tear off a sheet of notebook paper, stuff it in a film canister and toss it out the window of your car while you are at the Burger King drive through window.

Looks like there are a lot of caches to choose from in your area. I see your cache is close to Smokey Mountain Nat. Park, one thing to keep in mind is that with gas the way it is folks just aren't traveling as much as usual. Families who plan to do a little casual caching on vacation are probably choosing their caches very selectively based on proxemity to where they are staying or how much extra time they have. I mean with all of the things to see and do in your area most tourists will probably have a pretty full itinerary and may be less likely to spend 1/2 a day on one or two caches. They probably will be looking for quickies along their route or maybe something close that will keep the kids busy for an hour after settling in to their campsite for the evening.

Looks like you have put some thought into placing a cache that looks interesting and fun and you have some nice logs to show for it. If I were in the area it looks like one I would want to do. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

In my area whenever a new cache is published the FTF hounds seem to just race for it and they usually get multiple finds on the first day. So when I placed my first cache I found myself asking the same question when no one seemed to be looking for it. The first find was nearly 24 hours after publication, the next one not for another 20 days. Mine is a simple multi in a large county park and is about a mile round trip from stage 1. I wanted to create something that trail hikers, bushwackers and paddlers alike could enjoy while providing each with their own separate approaches. It took me awhile to realize that because it requires a little bit of time and some effort is exactly why it hasn't been hit much (although I suspect stage 1 has been found many times). But thats OK with me, I'll take logs like This one and This one over a simple Found it! any day. I have another that has 0 finds so far, but then I don't expect it to get more than a couple of hits a year.

There are another couple of possibilities, also.

1) People are going there and finding the cache, but they aren't people who log online.

I had one cache that had 27 people out of 100 who had visited who did not ever log online the first time I checked the logbook.

2) There are people looking for it but not finding it, and not logging their DNF.

Couple of things:

We would certainly search for it if we lived there...it looks like a fun cache! :D

Any time you have a terrain rating higher than about 1.5, it cuts down on visitors. :)

It might be a bit trickier to find than you think, and people might not be logging DNF's. :D

We have a cache, also hidden in January, that has been logged only 13 times. "Oddly enough" :D people often visit our other caches in this small town, yet somehow do not go to look for this nearby one-part cache in a cemetery? It's somewhat tricky to find, so I think people are just not logging the DNF's.

I wouldn't stress about the lack of visitors...as long as the logs (no matter how few) are positive, and if you feel like you have hidden a decent cache, then be happy with it! :D

It just so happens your cache is on our “to do” list for this weekend. It should be towards the end of a long two days with a third day ahead of us so time may factor in to passing by. Since you do wonder why it does not have heavier traffic, I will try to lobby it up on the list of priority caches. If we decide not to search for it or give up on it I will be sure to let you know what our reason was.

In today's environment, it's often that the better your cache is, the fewer finds it will have. If you want a lot of findsjust tear off a sheet of notebook paper, stuff it in a film canister and toss it out the window of your car while you are at the Burger King drive through window.

Oooooh...an ALR!!!

Gotta by a burger with the "Special Sauce" in order to get the container handed to you through the window!!!

:):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

...before you get any ideas about me...I know...not a legal cache...but it was still a good laugh!!!

I have learned one thing...those that have been around for a while always have something ready for a good laugh...thanks Briansnat!!!

I've placed one hide. It was immediately pounced upon by one of our more vigorous local cachers who also hid one nearby.

There have been a few more finders, but, as it's a bit out of the way, I don't expect too many. Some have found mine but didn't go for hers, only a few hundred yards up the road. Some have found hers but passed mine up even though they'd have to drive right past mine to get to hers.

It's just a matter of taste in some cases, or a matter of filtering (mine's a micro, hers is a regular). That's the way it goes! Don't take it personally!

I dont understand why no one is looking for my cache. I placed it near a point of interest, and its not a micro. I see other caches nearby being found. Is there some kind of boycott that I dont know about ? Are people looking and not logging a DNF. I just dont get it. :)

I think it looks like an awesome, memorable cache. I'd love to do it, from what I can see from the cache page and the gallery. But as others have pointed out, it also seems to be a bit out of the way. I'm guessing that most of your finders (I didn't check this) are tourists just passing through. Relax... this is another "Its not about the numbers" area. You placed a fine cache, and those that have found it have enjoyed it. Word of mouth will also play a part in a good cache, but that takes time.

Yes. The more challenging the hike, the fewer the finders, no matter how great the view. Oh, well.

But, one doesn't have to resort to tossed film canisters to enhance one's geocaching karma. Small, pretty parks with pretty views can still get lots of finds..

You don't have to sell your soul to the devil. Put out the caches that you like, and the people who find them will enjoy them.

You are doing ok with 14 finds. I placed a nice cache (GC1C46Q) in some nice park property that is largely being ignored. There is some mud at the trailhead and I think that it is causing most seekers to ignore it. That is unfortunate because the mud is fairly easy to get by and the rest of the hike is easy.

Oh well, I am going to be releasing another one in the near future that I hope will be a bit more popular. It will be a multi based in a nice park. I plan on a nicely stocked ammo box for the final.

I have plans for another that I hope to put out in the near future that will not get many hits at all as it will require a boat to get to. However, I anticipate that those who find it will like it.

Heck, I enjoy placing the caches as much as looking for them. I have to double check the co-ordinates on one of mine tomorrow as a log entry indicates the co-ordinates may be 50 feet off.

Have fun.

It's been found by a few of the local active cachers, and several others who sound like they are passing through. That is a nice combination. I suspect the other active locals will be by during the summer when they are looking for other nearby unfound caches. Like the folks above me have posted-gas prices are affecting where and when people cache-and if there is one way over there, but six that way-most will head for the six.

Couple of things:

We would certainly search for it if we lived there...it looks like a fun cache! :D

Any time you have a terrain rating higher than about 1.5, it cuts down on visitors. :)

It might be a bit trickier to find than you think, and people might not be logging DNF's. :D

We have a cache, also hidden in January, that has been logged only 13 times. "Oddly enough" :D people often visit our other caches in this small town, yet somehow do not go to look for this nearby one-part cache in a cemetery? It's somewhat tricky to find, so I think people are just not logging the DNF's.

Back OT: Could be something just this simple in your area, too.

I wouldn't stress about the lack of visitors...as long as the logs (no matter how few) are positive, and if you feel like you have hidden a decent cache, then be happy with it! B)

HA! That's classic :D We've done almost everything else in that area so we never went back for just that one. Gas being what it is, we're trying to find "cache groupings" lately.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

HA! That's classic :) We've done almost everything else in that area so we never went back for just that one. Gas being what it is, we're trying to find "cache groupings" lately.

Have you seen the new caches at Elk? They've been out for a while and there are still two waiting for FTF's. It's only ten miles from here as the crow flies and there are a few others up in the area that you can grab as well. Be warned though...they won't be good caches for the kids, just the dads.

I dont understand why no one is looking for my cache. I placed it near a point of interest, and its not a micro. I see other caches nearby being found. Is there some kind of boycott that I dont know about ? Are people looking and not logging a DNF. I just dont get it. :)

Don't feel bad, I have a new cache that has been out now for about 4 weeks and am also surprised to see only one hit on it. It is in a great area with some good swag.

I too feel that gas prices have allot to do with the lack of caching activity in our area. There are hardly any being hidden on my part of the state and also noticed there are a few caches that nobody has been the FTF on them yet.

Hey everyone, I want to thank you all for the positive feedback. I started this post to see if every one else has seen a drop in people finding there caches. I'm sure that with the price of gas as high as it is, and the state of the economy in general, has slowed alot of cachers down. I myself have not been able to go out as much as I would like.

Agian thanks to every one and there input. Happy Trails

DrgnTrappr

I have a cache that (for different reasons) isn't found frequently, which seems to be what's happening with yours. Perhaps you need to ask yourself what the point was of placing this cache. Was it for a *lot* of finds, or for people who might really appreciate it? I've come to value those who find my cache and am delighted in ways I wouldn't be if it happened every day.

Checking in with your own goals might be a good starting-point for you. If you want one that's found every day, perhaps you might want to create a new one so you can watch them both.

Good luck!

Jeannette (angevine)

in my experience most people (at least around here) are numbers hounds who won't try to find a cache that requires much time or effort.

which is too bad for me, since those are the ones I like to find the most. :D

My wife and I have friends that are fellow cachers, but I know for a fact that they rarely if ever log any actual finds. They've told me that they're just simply not in it for the numbers. It's possible that many of the people who've tracked down your hide just don't feel the need to log their visit.