Help

Krillian

I'd first recommend posting this in the Midwest forum. Second, try some caches near your home. Not knowing what model of etrex you have (I have an etrex vista, with the black and white screen), you usually can mark your current position, then edit the coordinates to the cache you want to search for. There is an event not far from you on August 2nd called Calling all Kids (GC1DA7E). I'd recommend going to that and go with others to find some of the nearby caches. People will be glad to help you out, and show you the ins and outs of your GPSr. Events are always fun, and a great way to meet people. good luck!

To enter coords on an Etrex, press and hold down the toggle stick until the Mark new waypoint window pops up. Then change the coords to those of the cache you want to find. Update the waypoint name if you want, then when down, click on the SAVE button, or you'll lose everything.

Repeat steps to enter new coordinates.

When done, press the menu button (lower left as GPS faces you) twice to bring up the menu screen with the waypoints folder. The, select the waypoint/cache you want to find first and hit GOTO. Caches/waypoints will display based on the last query. That is, if you searched for nearest waypoints the last time, you GPS will display nearest caches to current location (or where it last locked onto sats). If you looked for waypoints by name the last time, that format will come up first. If you want to search by nearest, just hit the menu button once more and select Nearest.