Please allow me to vent

I haven't gone geocaching in a long time. Over a year, in fact. So long that I forgot why I stopped. That all changed last Friday. My little girl asked me why we hadn't gone geocaching in a while and I really couldn't come up with a good reason. I mean, after all why wouldn't you be geocaching if you value family togetherness, the outdoors, finding treasure, and all things high-tech? Ok, let's go! I figured with gas prices the way they are we could hit some local caches on our bicycles so I downloaded some waypoints and clipped my little yellow E-Trex onto my handlebars and off we went. The first cache was right on the side of a backroad. In a hollow tree stump. Surrounded by blackberry bushes. I immediately remembered why I quit caching. This area was supposedly historic but there was absolutely nothing at the cache site to demonstrate this fact. To me, it was just a friggin' stump in the middle of the stickers, with cars whizzin' by. There was a semi-quaint little dirt road nearby that went under a rustic train trestle that was safely off the side of the road but was the cache there? Oh no, it was right by the road. I hate these drive-by caches with nothing interesting. My disappointment continued once I opened the cache. No pen? No pencil? How am I supposed to sign the log book? I didn't have one because I didn't have my caching pack with me and I figured what cache wouldn't have a pen or pencil? Oh, look someone put a bottle of bubbles in here that leaked out all over this wallet chain which is now a useless, rusty piece of garbage. Oh yeah, that's right, if you're not the first to find all you get is crap. I guess we're keeping our trade goodies for ourselves. Our next cache was in town but we didn't even look for it very long because it just looks too suspicious to be poking around in town nearby businesses and private property. It was my fault for not researching the caches better. I selected them based on proximity to my house, not quality. When properly researched, hunting geocaches can still be a worthwhile activity so I might hit some more this summer but at least now I remember what I don't like about it. This website has changed a lot over the years but what does the "stealth required" icon mean? Sanctioned tresspassing? I was going to go after another cache in my hometown until I realized that it was on private property in an active worksite. It had a "stealth required" icon. What is that supposed to mean? Hit it at night while wearing your ninja garb and having a get-away car parked nearby? What has Geocaching become?

This website has changed a lot over the years but what does the "stealth required" icon mean? Sanctioned tresspassing? I was going to go after another cache in my hometown until I realized that it was on private property in an active worksite. It had a "stealth required" icon. What is that supposed to mean? Hit it at night while wearing your ninja garb and having a get-away car parked nearby? What has Geocaching become?

Caches should not be on any private property unless the hider had permission from the property owner. Stealth Required usually means that the cache is in an area which is visible to non-cachers, so you need to exercise stealth in order to search for, retrieve, sign the log, and replace the cache without compromising it. Are you sure that cache was indeed on the provate property? Perhaps it is just near by, attached to a guard rail, a fence, a bench, or something else?

Though I am not as disenfranchised with caching as you are, I do understand the feeling of "Why didn't they put the cache over there..?" There a quite a few caches that I've found that would have been much better if the hider had spent maybe 5 more minutes or walked another 200 feet.

200 feet can be the difference between a lame cache and a memorable cache.

I just skimmed 9key's Has the gamed passed me by thread and then came and read this one.

It strikes me that this website really really really needs to develop ratings, or, at a minimum, a way to PQ on bookmarked caches - give each Premium Member a favorites bookmarked list, and make that searchable via PQ.

There's just a ton of mediocre hides in the world, only good for generating a smiley. Few cachers care about that smiley over time and its getting harder and harder to filter them out. I haven't found a cache in about a month, easily the longest period without caching since I started. Largely because it's reached a point where it's easier to just go for a hike or 'yak, and not fool with caching, given the time requirements to winnow out a cache that I'm going to enjoy finding.

(To me, Stealth Required" means nevermind.....)

Edited by Isonzo Karst

:P-->

QUOTE(R.O.B @ Jun 23 2008, 08:42 AM) 3528241[/snapback]

There a quite a few caches that I've found that would have been much better if the hider had spent maybe 5 more minutes or walked another 200 feet.

There is nothing precluding you or me from walking that 200 feet and enjoying whatever may be nearby. Perhaps the hider couldn't get any closer due to the proximity of a puzzle cache, or a stage in a multi-cache.

I have seen people complain that the cache was hidden in the parking lot of a park. They are irritated that the hider didn't put it IN the park. The funny thing is, they brought you to the park. What you do once you get there is up to you. :laughing:

I haven't gone geocaching in a long time. Over a year, in fact. So long that I forgot why I stopped. That all changed last Friday. My little girl asked me why we hadn't gone geocaching in a while and I really couldn't come up with a good reason. I mean, after all why wouldn't you be geocaching if you value family togetherness, the outdoors, finding treasure, and all things high-tech? Ok, let's go! I figured with gas prices the way they are we could hit some local caches on our bicycles so I downloaded some waypoints and clipped my little yellow E-Trex onto my handlebars and off we went. The first cache was right on the side of a backroad. In a hollow tree stump. Surrounded by blackberry bushes. I immediately remembered why I quit caching. This area was supposedly historic but there was absolutely nothing at the cache site to demonstrate this fact. To me, it was just a friggin' stump in the middle of the stickers, with cars whizzin' by. There was a semi-quaint little dirt road nearby that went under a rustic train trestle that was safely off the side of the road but was the cache there? Oh no, it was right by the road. I hate these drive-by caches with nothing interesting. My disappointment continued once I opened the cache. No pen? No pencil? How am I supposed to sign the log book? I didn't have one because I didn't have my caching pack with me and I figured what cache wouldn't have a pen or pencil? Oh, look someone put a bottle of bubbles in here that leaked out all over this wallet chain which is now a useless, rusty piece of garbage. Oh yeah, that's right, if you're not the first to find all you get is crap. I guess we're keeping our trade goodies for ourselves. Our next cache was in town but we didn't even look for it very long because it just looks too suspicious to be poking around in town nearby businesses and private property. It was my fault for not researching the caches better. I selected them based on proximity to my house, not quality. When properly researched, hunting geocaches can still be a worthwhile activity so I might hit some more this summer but at least now I remember what I don't like about it. This website has changed a lot over the years but what does the "stealth required" icon mean? Sanctioned tresspassing? I was going to go after another cache in my hometown until I realized that it was on private property in an active worksite. It had a "stealth required" icon. What is that supposed to mean? Hit it at night while wearing your ninja garb and having a get-away car parked nearby? What has Geocaching become?

Yes the game as changed, but not QUITE the way you guessed. As other said, the stealth required just means it's a high muggle area. Generally not my kinda cache. Caches should NOT be on private property unless they have permission. With all caches, the fastest, follow the arrow way to the cache is not the best way. In a more remote cache this can mean bushwacking. In a suburban setting it may lead to trespassing. Urban/suburban caches do need a little more research before hunting, IMNHO.

While you thought hiding the one cache under the nearby railroad trestle bridge was a nicer location, most likely that location would not have been allowed because of the possible terrorist concerns it might raise.

I also gotta question one part of your post. First you say you didn't have anything to sign the log with because you didn't bring your caching pack. Then you say the same cache had garbage trade items, so you kept your trade items and didn't trade. So did you have your caching stuff or didnt you? Or are you just being a little over dramatic to make your point?

It was my fault for not researching the caches better. I selected them based on proximity to my house, not quality.

If you didn't prepare for your day properly and ended up not having fun as a result, I'm not sure what you're going to gain by venting in here.

Having not been caching in only a year you should have been well aware that it's good to bring your own pen, especially if you're hunting micros, but even if you're not. I learned that lesson a lot longer than a year ago - that's not new.

I'm sorry you had a bad time, but I don't think you can blame the game of geocaching for it.

This website has changed a lot over the years but what does the "stealth required" icon mean? Sanctioned tresspassing? I was going to go after another cache in my hometown until I realized that it was on private property in an active worksite. It had a "stealth required" icon. What is that supposed to mean? Hit it at night while wearing your ninja garb and having a get-away car parked nearby? What has Geocaching become?

Caches should not be on any private property unless the hider had permission from the property owner. Stealth Required usually means that the cache is in an area which is visible to non-cachers, so you need to exercise stealth in order to search for, retrieve, sign the log, and replace the cache without compromising it. Are you sure that cache was indeed on the provate property? Perhaps it is just near by, attached to a guard rail, a fence, a bench, or something else?

He's not now, but I'll bet the OP was a premium member at some point. You can filter out caches with the Stealth attribute on a pocket query. Actually, I haven't paid attention too much lately, but I do think people tend to overuse that attribute a little.

I'll bet I ignore 99% of caches that contain any variation of the word Stealth in the body of the cache description. Stealth is stupid; I do not like stealth. :P But that all has to do with researching the caches ahead of time, which the OP admits he didn't do. For like-minded individuals like ourselves, this research is just a fact of life today.

A cache was hidden in a hollow stump and had blackberry bushes nearby? That sounds like a very good cache, to me.

You wonder why they hid it where they did. Perhaps it was to tell you where to get free blackberries.

I agree. In the fast paced world we all live in today, people just don't seem to take the time to enjoy "the little things" that slowing down can bring.

When I plan caching outings for Crockett's Caching Crew, it's done with the idea of spending an entire day of getting out in the nice weather, doing some hiking, and seeing parts of our world that we normally don't get to see everyday (at least not from certain angles or directions). I mean, I might pass over the same bridge or small wooded area on my way to work everyday, and it's gets to be routine. But if I do some research, I might find that the same bridge or wooded area has a cache nearby, and I can enjoy seeing that same part of my everyday world from a different perspective, and I learn to appreciate it all a little more.

It was my fault for not researching the caches better. I selected them based on proximity to my house, not quality.

There ya go. I have no sympathy for people who are too lazy to read the cache pages, then complain about not liking the caches they find...

I get that all the time.

Cache page text: "approach from the east to avoid the poison ivy and thorns"

Cache log: "wow, lots of nasty thorns and tons of PI. Beware of this cache!". :P:laughing:

We have a newbie around here who has started doing something wonderful....and it started by accident. He hid a cache near where one of the first caches in the area had been. A few of us "old timers" mentioned how nice it was to be brought back to the area so he began purposely searching out some of the locations of the old archived caches (with a little help from some of us). The result has been a revival of some great hikes and a lot of fond memories. It's amazing to see how much some of those old areas have changed over the years.

A lot of those old caches are just gone. It might not take much to revive them.

I can sympathize with the OP's frustration. I've gotten much better at my prep work. I know the type of caches I don't enjoy and can usually filter them out with a quick look at the cache page. I have more than 2500 caches on my ignore list and 95-plus percent of the new stuff that pops up in notifications goes there as well. I hope there isn't a cap on the size of the ignore list.

Filtering by attributes is nearly useless. The stealth required attribute gets over used as does the one for significant hike.

I can sympathize with the OP's frustration. I've gotten much better at my prep work. I know the type of caches I don't enjoy and can usually filter them out with a quick look at the cache page. I have more than 2500 caches on my ignore list and 95-plus percent of the new stuff that pops up in notifications goes there as well. I hope there isn't a cap on the size of the ignore list.

If there is a cap, you'll be the first to know. Let me know, please. :P I'm only at 400 caches, probably 95+% of them in my 40 mile radius new cache notification range.

Filtering by attributes is nearly useless. The stealth required attribute gets over used as does the one for significant hike.

I agree. I was just stating it could be done. :laughing: I just looked at the newest caches in my State, and the stealth attribute gets way over used.

:P-->

QUOTE(R.O.B @ Jun 23 2008, 04:42 AM) 3528241[/snapback]

Though I am not as disenfranchised with caching as you are, I do understand the feeling of "Why didn't they put the cache over there..?" There a quite a few caches that I've found that would have been much better if the hider had spent maybe 5 more minutes or walked another 200 feet.

I have also seen just the opposite. There is a cache which was placed about .2 miles walk down a very pretty trail in a wildflower preserver, then off a 200' spur trail to the base of a small waterfall with lots of decent hiding places nearby. The cache was place about 70' up a steep embankment under a log and because the tree cover is pretty heavy doing the drunken bee dance on the side of the hill had cause quite a bit of erosion. When I found it my wife and four year old son remained at the bottom of the hill while I went up to grab it, thus he didn't get to "help me find the treasure".

In this case, the cache was made unnecessarily more difficult (at least in terms of the terrain) because it was placed on the side of the hill rather than at the bottom.

My dissappointment is these caches that get hidden in the thicket where you basically have to crawl around in the dirt, rocks, stickers and vines hopping to find the small tupperware container and not get bit by anything or get any hitchikers. I like searching a well thought out cache in the woods, Im near the Appalachina Trail, but one a 100 ft in the thicket off of a park is just a hide for the purpose of a hide. Ill get those in the winter where I dont have to sacrafice my dignity to find it.

My dissappointment is these caches that get hidden in the thicket where you basically have to crawl around in the dirt, rocks, stickers and vines hopping to find the small tupperware container and not get bit by anything or get any hitchikers. I like searching a well thought out cache in the woods, Im near the Appalachina Trail, but one a 100 ft in the thicket off of a park is just a hide for the purpose of a hide. Ill get those in the winter where I dont have to sacrafice my dignity to find it.

The thing is, there are those of us who really like these types of hides. The OP and you yourself are complaining about caches that alot of people find very enjoyable. We all have our tastes and it's alright that we don't like some types of hides, but why come into the forums to rant, vent, and/or complain about them simply because you don't like them.

I'm not sure i understand your statement that i highlighted above either... :D

A cache was hidden in a hollow stump and had blackberry bushes nearby? That sounds like a very good cache, to me.

I was thinking the same thing. Being mostly restricted to urban/suburban caching, I really enjoy and apreciate little gems like that.

Why did they pick that? Who knows. Maybe they saw a hollow tree stump and no other caches within .1 mile. On the other hand, maybe they used to come here as a child to pick blackberries with their grandmother who passed 20 years ago. Never know.

ok, this is not off-topic...but I think you should build a cache with your children, and go hide it in a great historic spot.

For some cachers, hiding is more fun than finding.

Also, attend an event in your town, and ask the cachers about the "best" and "clever" caches in your area.

There are cachers out there that have thousands of finds (they have to find them all), and they can help steer you clear of the type you don't like.

The thing is, there are those of us who really like these types of hides. The OP and you yourself are complaining about caches that alot of people find very enjoyable. We all have our tastes and it's alright that we don't like some types of hides, but why come into the forums to rant, vent, and/or complain about them simply because you don't like them.

I'm not sure i understand your statement that i highlighted above either... :D

Mufrog, very well put! I could not have said it better! And, I have no idea what the "...sacrafice (sic) my dignity" phrase meant either! I suspect that this cacher is likely very much an indoors-type person, and is not much accustomed to outdoor activities such as hiking, bushwacking, bouldering, trail-running, orienteering, rock climbing, etc. , and thus she/he may have a lot of personal fears and discomforts which he/she associates with such activities.

OMG! Please tell me you are not joking...no cap on the Ignore List? (Or at least a really huge number)

I am in a Geocaching hiatus right now due to LCSS (Lame Cache Stress Syndrome).

I thought there WAS a cap to the ignore list, so I have been 'saving' it's capacity for puzzles only (or at least mostly).

So, I don't need to log those pieces of excrement in order to get them off my radar?

O HAPPY DAY!

OMG! Please tell me you are not joking...no cap on the Ignore List? (Or at least a really huge number)

I am in a Geocaching hiatus right now due to LCSS (Lame Cache Stress Syndrome).

I thought there WAS a cap to the ignore list, so I have been 'saving' it's capacity for puzzles only (or at least mostly).

So, I don't need to log those pieces of excrement in order to get them off my radar?

O HAPPY DAY!

I believe there was a cap to bookmark lists very early on (and your ignore list is basically a bookmark list), when the feature was first implemented. Was this 2006? I remember some FTF hounds with hundreds of them had to make multiple lists. But that cap is long gone. I believe I heard 10,000 somewhere, but don't quote me on that. Just make a note of runaround's username, and ask him if he ever runs out of space. :D

Yes the game as changed, but not QUITE the way you guessed. As other said, the stealth required just means it's a high muggle area. Generally not my kinda cache. Caches should NOT be on private property unless they have permission. With all caches, the fastest, follow the arrow way to the cache is not the best way. In a more remote cache this can mean bushwacking. In a suburban setting it may lead to trespassing. Urban/suburban caches do need a little more research before hunting, IMNHO.

While you thought hiding the one cache under the nearby railroad trestle bridge was a nicer location, most likely that location would not have been allowed because of the possible terrorist concerns it might raise.

I also gotta question one part of your post. First you say you didn't have anything to sign the log with because you didn't bring your caching pack. Then you say the same cache had garbage trade items, so you kept your trade items and didn't trade. So did you have your caching stuff or didnt you? Or are you just being a little over dramatic to make your point?

That's a great question and I actually thought about re-phrasing it before submitting the post because it made me look like a moron. I keep my swag in a waterproof pouch within my caching pack. The pens, pencils, flashlight, and batteries are in a seperate compartment within the pack. So when I took off on my bike (which has a small seatbag) I removed the swag pouch from the pack intending to trade but left everything else as it wouldn't all fit inside the seat bag. It's my fault and I've had time to cool off. I was just angry at myself and needed to vent. This has always been the nicest forum on the internet and it's nice to see that that part of Geocaching has not changed. Thanks for the replies everybody, it was very theraputic.

what does the "stealth required" icon mean? Sanctioned trespassing?

Ya know, I think I agree with your guess. :):D:D

Browsing the caches around here that display that icon reveals an inordinate percentage of commercial property caches, (Walmart, Burger King, Lowes, etc), that I assure you were not placed with the permission of the property owner.

Ya know, I think I agree with your guess. :):D:D

Browsing the caches around here that display that icon reveals an inordinate percentage of commercial property caches, (Walmart, Burger King, Lowes, etc), that I assure you were not placed with the permission of the property owner.

What better reason for stealth than to avoid arrest. "It ain't illegal unless you get caught."

And I had always thought the stealth thing was about not compromising the hide!

You wonder why they hid it where they did. Perhaps it was to tell you where to get free blackberries.

FREE BLACKBERRIES? YUMM!

I have found about 30 or so caches in the last few days.

I think maybe one or two DIDN'T have any blackberries near them.

I got the scratches on my legs to prove it. :)

So no matter how hot it is now, I promise not to wear shorts while geocaching.

Ya know, I think I agree with your guess. :D:D:D

We have one cache placed at the local Gander Mountain that was given it's blessing by the store manager and subsequent store manager. Of course it's not hidden under a lightpole cover where it most likely wouldn't have ever been given the permission. Only thing is, i guess i did our's wrong cause i didn't use the use stealth icon even though you definitely have to watch for muggles during normal business hours. :D

In otherwords, the stealth icon doesn't mean that tresspassing is sanctioned... ;)

The hider was apperently not a Loren!

Weird, that's what I thought of, too, when I read that part. ;) Can't escape that VT upbringing after all...

What can be done about these? Is there someone you can report them to so that they get flagged? How about caches in local parks that dont allow caches to be placed in them?

I havent come across many, only been caching a short time, but enough to make me wonder what some people are thinking.

The game is always changing. I was away from caching for 4 years, and the entire thing changed while I was gone. Back in 04, geocoins didn't exist! Imagine the mind-boggle that I got when I "re-joined" in February of this year.

Just be aware of the changes that have occurred and adjust accordingly. That's all you can do, or quit I guess. I'd rather keep caching, so I adapted, and I'm probably happier now than I was in 04 due to all the different options and new things to do.

What can be done about these? Is there someone you can report them to so that they get flagged?

Someone's going to become popular soon..... :D

What can be done about these? Is there someone you can report them to so that they get flagged? How about caches in local parks that dont allow caches to be placed in them?

I havent come across many, only been caching a short time, but enough to make me wonder what some people are thinking.

Just because it's in a Wal-mart or something, doesn't mean that it doesn't have permission. You can't assume. But if you know of a cache that is in an area that you know is for sure is off-limits to caching, etc. you can email your local Reviewer and let them know. Then you can let them figure out if something needs to be done. :D

Just because it's in a Wal-mart or something, doesn't mean that it doesn't have permission. You can't assume.

I dunno. That's a pretty easy assumption for me to make. One of the advantages to being in law enforcement is that I am frequently speaking with the management of various big box stores, (Sir, do you want to prosecute? Sign here.), and our conversations have often lead into caching as a general topic, without "outing" any specific cache. Out of over a dozen conversations I've had, the only answer I've received is "No". That list includes, but is not limited to, Walmart, Kmart, Target, Big Lots, Ace, Publix, Starbucks and, (you guessed it), Cracker Barrel. I am at a 100% "No" rate.

My other reason for making such a broad sweeping assumption is the conversations I've had with my fellow cachers regarding these types of hides. Every single cacher I've spoken with about their commercial property cache stated that they did not get specific permission for them.

(Edit: I take that back. I know of two exceptions. :D )

These observations lead me to suspect that the vast majority of commercial property caches have been hidden under the guise of "adequate" permission, I.e: the belief that, because Joe Public is allowed to be at a particular place, and there are no rules specifically prohibiting it, a cache can be hidden there. While I am a proponent of the adequate permission theory for public lands, my interpretation of the guidelines doesn't allow me to include private property in that assessment.