Garmin 60Csx external power cable

Elde

:angry:

I just tried to hook up the (Garmin) external power cable (the four prong cable) to my 60Csx, and discovered that the cable prevents usage of the auto mount.

Are there any options open? A different power cable? A different auto mount?

Get the USB auto adapter ... that works just fine with the 60Csx in the mounting bracket. Didn't you get a USB plug-in adapter when you got the auto-mount?

-jk

:angry:

I just tried to hook up the (Garmin) external power cable (the four prong cable) to my 60Csx, and discovered that the cable prevents usage of the auto mount.

:P

The RAM mount for the 60CSx works fine with either the old serial (round) power connector, or the USB connector. I prefer the round connector to the USB, as far as a power connection. It's much easier to plug in than the USB connector.

There is an Auto Navigation Kit where the cable and mount are packaged together, so it’s hard for me to imagine that they aren’t designed to work together. As far as I know, there aren’t different Garmin auto mount cradle designs, so I’m assuming the one you have is the same as the one sold in the kit.

I've never seen the one for the 60 series, but I wonder if it doesn't work similarly to the one for the 76 series. With that one, you have to plug the power cable into the unit first, then slide it into the auto mount cradle. The cradle slides around the plug and locks it into place in the unit. If you try to put it in the cradle first and then insert the plug from the cable, you can’t do it. Any chance that is how the 60 series works?

As I say, I’ve never seen one for the 60 series; so if I’m all wet, just ignore me and don’t take offense.

Edit: Just read one of the reviews for that Auto Navigation Kit linked above that seems to say that with the 60 series cradle, it’s just the opposite: put the unit into the cradle first, then connect the power cable. But it does say that it works.

Edited by roybassist

I've never seen the one for the 60 series, but I wonder if it doesn't work similarly to the one for the 76 series. With that one, you have to plug the power cable into the unit first, then slide it into the auto mount cradle.

It doesn't work like that as the strain relief pigtail on the plug occupies the volume of space that the back of the cradle passes through as you place the handheld into the cradle. I.E. it's a physical impossibility :P and what prompted the :laughing: .

Edit: Just read one of the reviews for that Auto Navigation Kit linked above that seems to say that with the 60 series cradle, it’s just the opposite: put the unit into the cradle first, then connect the power cable. But it does say that it works.

I'll give that a shot, but it will require some deucedly inconvenient gyrations.

Take a dremel and hack carefully cut out a corner of the cradle. Make sure to wear your safety glasses, hunks of plastic in your eye don't feel too good. :laughing:

Is yours the window suction mount? Because I have one and it fits the cord........ It's a little tricky but you can slide the bracket up underneath the cable that goes down. I know the first time I used it I thought the same thing but figured if they are both Garmin products they should be compatible and they are.

Is yours the window suction mount? Because I have one and it fits the cord........ It's a little tricky but you can slide the bracket up underneath the cable that goes down. I know the first time I used it I thought the same thing but figured if they are both Garmin products they should be compatible and they are.

Put the cradle on first, then plug in the cable. Works fine. Reverse to disassemble, cord first, then cradle.

Put the cradle on first, then plug in the cable. Works fine. Reverse to disassemble, cord first, then cradle.

What this person said. I use the Garmin auto mount setup. Put the cradle on, then the round power plug then attach to the mount.

Easy as pie. :)