Geocaching Kit ?

weirton_geo_hunter

Hi Gang, new to geocaching have a coworker getting me started. Was wondering what items you take with you when you cache. I currently have a small backpack that has my GPS, multi-tool, grocery bags to CITO, pen, pencil, some ziplock bags, small first aid kit. So what I'm asking is what have you needed that you have added to your takealong kit. Thanks, W_G_H

Orange vest/hat, gloves, flashlights, small mirror, batteries, trade swag, small notepad, and nylon cord plus most everything you named. I also usually have some bug spray and sunblock in the first aid kit (seal single-use pouch) and if I going out on a hike, of course water (my pack has a camelback in it) and some snack bars.

-jk

Hi Gang, new to geocaching have a coworker getting me started. Was wondering what items you take with you when you cache. I currently have a small backpack that has my GPS, multi-tool, grocery bags to CITO, pen, pencil, some ziplock bags, small first aid kit. So what I'm asking is what have you needed that you have added to your takealong kit. Thanks, W_G_H

All depends on the kinds of caches you are targeting. For urban and suburban hides all I have along are my GPS and bag of swag, some insect repellent and perhaps my digital camera and PDA running Cachemate.

For caches out in the forest I bring anything I would bring for a hike like water, lunch, flashlight, extra batteries, first aid kit, camera, binoculars, as well as the necessities for a over night stay should something bad happen.

I have a geocaching vest that I carry my gear in. It includes: (* items are a must have, IMO)

*GPS

Compass (useful if your GPS doesn't have one)

*Spare batteries for GPS

Flashlight

*2 Pens

Tweezers (have helped get some logs out of small containers)

Binoculars

*Band aids

Ibuprofen (because I get head aches/foot aches)

Floss

Safety Pins (combine with floss for those annoying "fishing caches")

Bug spray

A deck of plant info cards (mostly just for fun, since I had it laying around, has cooking/eating techniques for common forest plants)

Knife

Small multi-tool attached to backup flashlight

Swag

50ft of 350lb. test rope with clip and quick link attached (only carried when needed.)

Note about rope: Be sure hardware is rated stronger than your rope, and note the %effectiveness in capacity rating of your connection method to secure your rope to the hardware. I use my trusty Backstage Handbook which describes such attachment methods and their ratings.

I also carry my trusty Geocache hide/repair kit:

assorted zip ties

Mini zipper bags (two sizes)

spare film cans

Geocaching Stickers

Magnetic micro cache container (to maybe hide someday, but mostly to show new cachers what they're up against.)

small pencil (can fit into film can)

The vest had 8 pockets to store all this junk, and the rope I wear like a bandoleer.

My kit is ever expanding, based on what I I think of while out caching.

GPS

Extra batteries

Research on the Caches I'm hunting (Not paperless yet...)

Swag

Extra baggies

Tweezers - Learned this last week when it took me 10 mins to remove a tight log!

Chopstick - To push micros out of tight spots, especially when they are covered with spiderwebs!

Gloves - For reaching in those places that my hand really shouldn't be reaching into in!

Cell phone

2 pens

Point & Shoot Camera (Nikon Coolpix is really small and easy to carry in my bag)

Patience

This thread is hilarious....

I am new too - I didn't know that I went out so unprepared. I did the day hiking thing before geocaching, but was thinking that i looked too obvious or suspicious going geocaching with the backpack....

I am trying to imagine the size of your backpacks you bring with all that stuff....

Every time I think I know what I am doing... someone just adds more...

It depends on where I plan on looking and what time of year.

Urban - Well settled rural:

• Quarters in my socks(only survival you need if something goes wrong)
  • Note book (personal)
  • Self sharpening pencil
  • Note book (temporary replacement for missing log)
  • Self sharpening pencil (temporary replacement for missing pencil)
  • Extra zipper bags
  • Latex gloves
  • Leather gloves
  • My miscellaneous bag of treasures

Rural - wilderness

• Late Spring - Early Autumn
    • See above
    • Extra batteries
    • Compass (you can get lost long enough to deplete all of your batteries)
    • FM 21-76 1970 (thats an Army survival field manual)
    • Any meal/s I'm planning
    • 200 DEX 4 Glucose Tablets Grape & Sour Apple (emergency calorie boost)
    • Canteen
    • Water filter straw
    • TP
    • First aid kit including suture kit
    • 2 3' × 4' dollar store tarps
    • 100' 1/8" nylon twine
    • Knife
    • Multi tool
    • 98% deet spray
    • Waterproof strike anywhere matches
    • Lighter
    • 1/4" strips of tire rubber(helps start fires in rough conditions)
    • Mylar emergency blanket
    • 5 ultra-bright L.E.D head lamp
    • Signal mirror
    • Whistle

[*]Late Autumn - Early Spring

• See above - deet
    • Extra mylar blanket
    • 2 fleece sleeping bags
    • Custom canvas coffin tent (It is 78" long the sides are 12" high the roof peaks 30" and its 28" wide, I'm working on a less wind prone inflatable model)

Why all that? I learned a hard lesson.