eTrex Vista HCX bicycle bike mount battery cover doesn't fit

norbl

I bought a handlebar mount (part number 010-10257-00) which doesn't work on the HCX. It comes with a replacement battery cover that doesn't allow for the extra width required to accommodate the memory card.

I've looked at the Garmin site, but all I can find is the handlebar mount itself, but not the replacement cover.

So what should I have ordered?

nothing different - you've got the right thing - just use the adapter that came in the hcx box when you bought it. the back that came with the handlebar mount is useless to you - throw it away. you use the back from your hcx - just screw on the adapter - it's in your hcx box...

nothing different - you've got the right thing - just use the adapter that came in the hcx box when you bought it. the back that came with the handlebar mount is useless to you - throw it away. you use the back from your hcx - just screw on the adapter - it's in your hcx box...

I'm embarrassed. Thank you.

You might be embarrassed, but now you have a bike mount that works! I bought 2 of those mounts, one for my mountain bike, and one for my motorcycle, and they work great with my Legend HCx, I'm sure you'll be plenty happy, too. Just remember to keep your eyes on the road more than the map! I know, it's hard not watching the little moving picture, but it doesn't show traffic!

You might be embarrassed, but now you have a bike mount that works! I bought 2 of those mounts, one for my mountain bike, and one for my motorcycle, and they work great with my Legend HCx, I'm sure you'll be plenty happy, too. Just remember to keep your eyes on the road more than the map! I know, it's hard not watching the little moving picture, but it doesn't show traffic!

I bought one of each size as well; one for the mountain bike and one for the motorcycle. So far I have only used it on the motorcycle, but it works well. You do have to remember to watch where you are going though. :P

I’d like to post a very big thank you to Vlad for this VERY helpful post.

I have an old original etrex Vista. It’s the skinny one with the black and white screen. I bought it way back in 2002. I have also purchased two other Vistas since then, a Vista C and a Vista HCx, the latter of which I bought about six months ago for the memory capacity and the high-sensitivity receiver.

Fore several years now my original GPS, the black and white one, has been living in semi-retirement on the handlebars of my bicycle. I would have much preferred to have the Vista C mounted there instead for a variety of reasons – the old B&W unit chews through batteries, it’s slow and clunky to use, it doesn't calculate routing directions, and I have to keep slapping it every few minutes to make the display image return due to some ‘distortion disease’ – but of course the Vista replacement battery cover which attaches to the handlebar mount is a different shape from the Vista C cover, and I therefore assumed I would need to purchase a whole new mount kit with the updated replacement cover to fit the newer Vista C.

So today I finally get around to Googling for info. I Googled the keywords “etrex vista handlebar mount” ... and this very forum thread was the fourth item in the search results!

I’m SO glad I read your post. I never even noticed that adapter! It was right there in the box, right where you said it would be! The adapter attaches to my Vista C, latches to my existing handlebar mount, and fits perfectly. I didn’t need to buy anything.

Thanks for saving me time AND money, Vlad! :ph34r:B)

Edited by KBI

thank you , thank you., i just bought a mount for my garmin etrex vista hcx and thought maybe i purchased the wrong one, until i did a google search and found your answer., they kind of should have told me that in the instructions.

thanks again.

I googled this topic and noticed this thread from way back. I was shopping around today for a bike mount for my Vista HCX. The kit at my local sporting goods store had a handle bar mount that also included a back cover with a built in adapter. I noticed this back cover looked very different from my Vista HCX so I did not purchase it as I knew it would not fit. After reading this thread I went in search of the box it came in and hoping my wife had not tossed it out. I found the dusty old box and retrieved the adapter from inside it that I never even knew I had. I am now eager to purchase the handle bar mount for my mountain bike and see if the supplied adaptor will work.

I found the dusty old box and retrieved the adapter from inside it that I never even knew I had. I am now eager to purchase the handle bar mount for my mountain bike and see if the supplied adaptor will work.

Wow! Congratulations on finding the original box. I would never be able to.

The adapter will work just fine on the bike mount. I have the bike mount on my mountain bike and the adapter screwed onto the back of my Legend HCx and it's all good. Some folks like to use a lanyard through the connector on the base of the unit and tied to the handlebar just to be competely safe if they're riding on rough roads. I did that when I was doing some downhill riding in the Rockies last year. It was never needed but I felt safer with it there.

...ken...

I purchased the bike mount kit on Saturday and it comes with a cover and handle bar wrap mount. The cover does not fit the Vista HCX, but it does fit the older model Etrex units. But like stated above, the accessory mount clip that comes in the GPS box does screw on to the existing back plate and then clips onto the handle bar mount. It works perfectly and I wouldn't have known that if it weren't for this thread, so I thank you for that bit of info.

I participated in the Fat Tire festival mountain bike-geocaching race yesterday and it was a lot of fun. It was a 14.7 mile course with 12 hidden stages. It was a blast. Hope to do it again next year.

I have a Vista Hcx and need a new battery cover, the threads have stripped on the piece where you attatch the clip. Any ideas on where to get one that fits this unit? Need to make sure I get the one that is wide enough for the memory card.Phoning Garmin on Monday!

Edited by NSDK