Garmin Etrex Vista

steveqae

Hi,

As I am quite new to this and I am having a problem.

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista which I connected to my computer and used the option to download the coordinates from Geocaching.com for Poles Apart GC15F4C, I have just been to try this and although I found the totem poles shown on the page OK my Garmin sent me to the wrong location so I did not find the cache. On returning home I checked the coordinates on the website against the ones on my gps and found them to be different.

The ones on the website are N50 22.509 W004 06.562

the ones that were transferred to my GPS were N50 22.305 W004 06.337.

My question is am I doing something wrong in transferring date to my GPS

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Steve

Edited by steveqae

Hi,

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista which I connected to my computer and used the option to download the coordinates from Geocaching.com for Poles Apart GC15F4C, I have just been to try this and although I found the totem poles shown on the page OK my Garmin sent me to the wrong location so I did not find the cache. On returning home I checked the coordinates on the website against the ones on my gps and found them to be different.

Steve

Is this the original Etrex Vista? Have you tried to download the coordinates again to see if the problem occurs again or was this a one time thing? Are you using 'Send to GPS' to send it to the GPSr or are you using something else?

Hi,

Steve

Is this the original Etrex Vista? Have you tried to download the coordinates again to see if the problem occurs again or was this a one time thing? Are you using 'Send to GPS' to send it to the GPSr or are you using something else?

Not sure what you mean by original the unit is black & silver if that helps.

Yes I have downloaded the coordinates again using the send to GPS option and also a few others and the same problem happens all the time.

Steve

Edited by steveqae

Hi,

Steve

Yes I have downloaded the coordinates again using the send to GPS option and also a few others and the same problem happens all the time.

Steve

Is Datum set to WGS-84 on the Etrex Vista?

Hi,

Steve

Steve

Is Datum set to WGS-84 on the Etrex Vista?

Yes

You didn't happen to accidentally click and drag the waypoint around the screen with the little click-stick did you? I used to make this mistake all the time with my eTrex Vista when I first got it when trying to pan around the screen... I'd end up accidentally moving a waypoint around which of course has a very detremental effect on one's ability to actually find the hide. :angry:

Hi,

Steve

Hi,

Steve

You've got your GPS set to display coordinates in D MM SS.S format instead of D MM.MMM format. Change it, and you should see the coordinates now match.

Hi,

Steve

You've got your GPS set to display coordinates in D MM SS.S format instead of D MM.MMM format. Change it, and you should see the coordinates now match.

Thank you, that seems to have fixed my problem.

Steve