Cache along a route

blb9556

I would suggest downloading Google Earth. Doing a quick map from Dublin OH to Hilton Head Island it comes up to 749 miles. Currently the cache along a route is limited to under 500 miles. Looks like you'll need to break this into two segments. Plus, if I would up load a couple routes for you it may not be the route you would take.

You'll probably have to make that two routes--- I come up with a distance of about 680 miles from Columbus to Hilton Head and the routes need to be under 500 miles if you're doing caches along a route.

I've usually found it best to make my own. A lot of people don't put in enough points or don't really know what they are doing, so the caches that show up are miles away from where we actually end up driving. You don't have to have google earth--you can do them with MapSource and Markwell's directions (Scroll down to the Mapsource directions).

I would suggest downloading Google Earth. Doing a quick map from Dublin OH to Hilton Head Island it comes up to 749 miles. Currently the cache along a route is limited to under 500 miles. Looks like you'll need to break this into two segments. Plus, if I would up load a couple routes for you it may not be the route you would take.

I go south on 33 from Ohio then link up to 77 south. I stay in charlotte overnight the continue to SC on the main interstates.

I go south on 33 from Ohio then link up to 77 south. I stay in charlotte overnight the continue to SC on the main interstates.

I've never done the Mapsource option. However, you might want to look into this. Just a quick look at taking 33 from Dublin to near Ripley WV where it meets I-77 you will pretty much have to manually plot the whole route. Google Earth keeps wanting to pick up on the Interstates for me. Even the interchange of US-33/I-77 to Hilton Head is over 550 miles per Google Earth. That would need to be two routes.

the routes need to be under 500 miles if you're doing caches along a route.

While that is certainly what is stated, it is not true.

I have created a number of routes over 500 miles that work. (Of course, some very long ones have not worked.) I suspect the real limit has to do with turns or total route points in what is uploaded.

My current "extreme" route is 664 miles, from the western UP through WI and IL to eastern IN. The PQ generated from that works.

I've never done the Mapsource option. However, you might want to look into this. Just a quick look at taking 33 from Dublin to near Ripley WV where it meets I-77 you will pretty much have to manually plot the whole route. Google Earth keeps wanting to pick up on the Interstates for me. Even the interchange of US-33/I-77 to Hilton Head is over 550 miles per Google Earth. That would need to be two routes.

I use an eXplorest :D

i hate to interrupt, but can someone help me... i am trying to create a cache along a route using google earth... when i get to the part to create a pocket query it gives me a message that says "operation aborted" what does this mean? how can i fix it? any ideas would be great!!

Hi,

I too have been getting the same error message over the last few days when trying to generate the find caches along a route query...

"Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/urquery.a...rguid=(followed by a series of alphanumerics).

Operation Aborted"

I have a trip planned from Houston to Biloxi in a day so am scrambling to get some trip lists generated. I too would appreciate anyone's comments as to what the problem may be either on my end or geocaching.com's?! Up through this past weekend I've had no probs with pocket queries and haven't changed any settings in IE.

Thanks,

Broken Trowel

Tucson, AZ

Hi ... I too am receiving an error when I try to create a Pocket Query using a "Cache along a Route". I get the message: "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site "http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/urquery.aspx?urguid=b4b8eae8-9d50-40cb-8f01-578710a8cc02.

Operation aborted."

Is there a problem with the website? Any info is appreciated as we are leaving on a trip soon!

Thanks,

Ron