Why Do I Feel Like A Criminal While Geocaching?

Oh, and if/when questioned by the police the truth is never the wrong answer.

:ph34r:

Counting this past weekend, I have now been stopped by police seven times while caching, all of those at night. (I love night caching) Two of those stops were by different officers within minutes while looking for the same cache. Each time, I have simply explained what I was doing and they wished me luck and were on their way again (sometimes after running my license first).

Every single one has been professional and courteous I think they appreciate honesty which is something they don't see a lot in their line of work.

We look suspicious, their job is to investigate things that look suspicious.

I also bring my dog along on every single geocaching mission within reason. They definitely are wonderful for providing cover. However, my dog is a Boston Terrier, and she is adorable and loves people! Consequently, people love that little smushed-up face, so sometimes I have to deal with muggles who want to pet and love her first. She still creates a wonderful aversion!

So there I was searching for a mystery cache in the business district of a small town. Looked and looked, then lo and behold I found the darn magnetic micro!

Opened it up to sign the log and found nothing but a key. Who would put a key in a magnetic key holder?

Before I could get the thing back in its place, out pops the key's owner from nearby business. Needless to say, I had some 'splainin to do.

Yes, sir, that is correct. I am a grown man taking time off from work to find a small, unknown item in a mystery spot, for no other purpose than to say I found it. And yes, your hide-a-key turned my joy into sadness.

Not sure if he called the police. I did not stay long.

I am also done with urban micros.

Edited by emmett

So there I was searching for a mystery cache in the business district of a small town. Looked and looked, then lo and behold I found the darn magnetic micro!

Opened it up to sign the log and found nothing but a key. Who would put a key in a magnetic key holder?

Before I could get the thing back in its place, out pops the key's owner from nearby business. Needless to say, I had some 'splainin to do.

Yes, sir, that is correct. I am a grown man taking time off from work to find a small, unknown item in a mystery spot, for no other prupose than to say I found it. And yes, your hide-a-key turned my joy into sadness.

Not sure if he called the police. I did not stay long.

I am also done with urband micros.

Bet he don't hide his key outside no more! :D