Why Do I Feel Like A Criminal While Geocaching?

I’m new to geocaching and while I was searching for my first geocache in the park I couldn’t help but think "How suspicious I must look!" I'm sitting in my truck scoping the place out - waiting for muggles to leave the area - kind of keeping my GPS out of view while walking constantly looking down and then looking all around - when I see a muggle I stop what I’m doing and wait until they leave - etc etc etc Which brings me to my question: Has anyone had the cops called on them for suspicious behavior?

I've found a few pillbox caches hidden on light poles in parking lots. These really make me feel a little strange. Anyone that sees me jump out, lift up the metal cover, pull out a pill box and then get a baggie out of it while looking around must think I'm doing something drug related :angry:

I think I'll stick to the larger ones in less public places.

I think being approached by the Cops is a byproduct of this activity. In every case, if you maintain a positive attitude, explain to them what you are doing and even show them a brochure on Geocaching, they will wish you a good day and leave. Here are a couple of cautions: When a sign say "No Trespassing" it means exactly that. Be careful of caches in and around playgrounds. This is about the quickest way to wind up be asked some serious questions. Thirdly, stay away from commercial buildings at suspicious times ie Night. If you'll keep these things in mind, then being stopped, questioned, etc. by the Cops is a rare occurence that you'll be able to handle. Have fun caching!!

Maybe you're looking for the wrong kinds of caches if it makes you feel that way. I see you're from Catskill. Head west a bit and bag some of the mountain caches and you'll see some incredible scenery and you don't have to worry about the PoPo rolling up on you and having to explain yourself.

?Smooth Criminal?

Geocaching done right in an urban setting is something most people will not notice if you do not draw attention to yourself.

Was grabbing a micro beside a guardrail once and cars were flying pass me, not one of them turned their heads and saw me..but trust me, find some off the beaten path and you will truly enjoy it.

I have to agree. I am not keen on urban caches for the most part as I don't like trying to find them in a crowd of muggles. I really enjoy getting out into nature with a friend or two and finding caches in some very beautiful areas (not that urban locations can't be beautiful...some of them have some really neat meaning behind them). Then you don't have to worry about running into too many people...and if you do encounter someone else, they just might be a geocacher too!

Did somebody say 'Criminal'?! :D

:angry: I didn't gush nearly as much but he was my first thought on the OP's title. :D

I’m new to geocaching and while I was searching for my first geocache in the park I couldn’t help but think "How suspicious I must look!" I'm sitting in my truck scoping the place out - waiting for muggles to leave the area - kind of keeping my GPS out of view while walking constantly looking down and then looking all around - when I see a muggle I stop what I’m doing and wait until they leave - etc etc etc Which brings me to my question: Has anyone had the cops called on them for suspicious behavior?

On a more serious note...

I know exactly how you feel. These are the things I learned while urban caching:

You have as much right to be there as anybody else.

You have to stop doing actions that act as triggers for other folks; Act like you're there to enjoy the park, which is probably the primary purpose for the cache being there.

e.g. Instead of staying in the truck scoping the area, take a walk and scope. Keep your GPS out in the open. People come to the park with all sorts of gadgets to try out ranging from metal detectors on up to the GPS and more. If you think you found the spot, but muggles are nearby, walk past with a mental note to come back. Don't stop and don't look away. In fact, greet them on the way by if they happen to glance in your direction. That goes back to acting like you belong there.

As for areas that are for kids to play in, avoid these like the plague unless you have a kid with you (a friend's or family member) who is into playing geocaching who can help to distract from you or do the hunt for you.

Never ever go directly towards the location of the cache. Nothing stands out more than a person who looks like has a direct purpose to a specific location.

Edited by TotemLake

Squirt and I have mixed feeling about some of the places we search.

One thing that works for us is to always have a camera in hand. If someone starts watching you, just start taking some close ups of flowers, pictures of buildings, whatever. It works.

We also feel we shouldn’t have to tromp through someone flower bed to find a cache. Nor should we have to hold on to the sign that says “Do Not Sit, Stand or Climb on railing” to climb on the rail to reach a cache hidden in the rafters.

I’m sorry I get sidetracked easily. What were we talking about?

... Has anyone had the cops called on them for suspicious behavior?

It happens. If you check the handy dandy list of what criminals and terrorists do when casing a location a lot of geocaci8ng behavior looks similar. The key difference of course we are looking for a box and participating in a casual and family friendly activity. Criminal types are another thing.

When approached be upfront and honest.

Persaonally I hate the feeling of being watched while caching. I prefer where I can cache with my friends and we are by ourselves.

Edited by Renegade Knight

First of all-stop wearing the matching striped shirt and pants outfit while caching. :angry:

But seriously, if you feel like you are doing something wrong-your body english will give off that vibe and you are more likely to attract attention. Act like you aren't doing anything wrong, and you are likely to be ignored. Unless you ask the lady on the bench if she minds if you look under it. :D

And yes, I have had several discussions with LEO's about caching. I even had one stop and help us find the cache.

Edited by wimseyguy
Has anyone had the cops called on them for suspicious behavior?

I have not, but I have had police stop and question me. They're just wanting to check out the weird behavior and make sure it's okay. Nuts, but okay.

If you want to deflect attention in urban parks, pick up trash. People will ignore you like you have the plague. I assume this is a guilt response. In any case, it works great.

It doesn’t bother me that much that I will stay away from those kinds of caches. I was just kind of curious if anyone had the cops called on them. In my field of work it just fits the profile for what I have to look for. I think next time I might spice it up and wrap a towel on my head - That will defiantly keep the muggles away. Disclaimer: If there is any geocaches that wears one for religious reasons I do apologize for the last remark!!

I don't leave it bother me any more. I've noticed that for the most part those not in the know ignore me. Couple days ago I bagged one about 200 feet from a cop sitting in his car. Either he was so busy with his paperwork he did not notice me or really didn't care. Only once is about 600 caches has anyone bothered to ask me what I was doing and that was only because I spent to much time looking.

That is funny that you mentioned this subject. I have been trying to score this cache for the past month that the hider placed across the street from a police station. Every time I try to score the cache I chicken out and it is driving me crazy. Too bad they don't make mobile donut vendors, otherwise that would cause quite a diversion. :angry:

Yes I have been stopped by the cops once. My son and I were caching on Easter and somebody called us in for suspicious activity.

Unless you ask the lady on the bench if she minds if you look under it.

we just waltz up to her and ask if she wouldn't mind if we had a look under there.

Has anyone had the cops called on them for suspicious behavior?

yes.

you can find links to it in my profile.

Edited by flask

we just waltz up to her and ask if she wouldn't mind if we had a look under there.

Better check to make sure she is not wearing a skirt - She might think your talking about her skirt and not the bench - Might get slapped :angry:

I have had the police pull up on me but i was only cause i was near a park when it was dark. They knew exactly what i was doing and they just said that i should come back at another time.

Best one, while caching using our TomTom (yes you can!) I was being eyed, so I acted like the TomTom was a camera and the muggle just turned away. I've found the older GPS units draw a lot of attention, but the newer ones are smaller and allow you to conceal. I like the camera idea, its also nice to log your caches with photos too!

One thing that works for us is to always have a camera in hand. If someone starts watching you, just start taking some close ups of flowers, pictures of buildings, whatever. It works.

... MOST of the time.

I was approached by a youthy type person the other day asking if I was "taking pictures of 'his girls'," apparently referring to a couple of women sitting on a rock in the middle of the creek who certainly looked like either one of them could have been his mother. (I don't think he had enough 'cubic inches' to do anything about it if I were. :angry: )

I suspect the camera thing will most certainly NOT work at a playground... it will surely set off the "Chester the molester" alarm. We live in a strange world. people have been actually prosecuted for taking innocent pictures of kids doing innocent things in public.

ONLY way to look for a cache in a playground is BYOK (bring your own kid).

One of my favourite ruses is to take a great interest in trees in the cache area and act like I'm inspecting for pests and disease.

As has been noted in many past threads on this subject, a clipboard works wonders, and possibly a hardhat and traffic vest.

Mostly, I work the ones that are NOT in the public eye. The pretense thing is fun sometimes, but mostly I don't like the risk or the hassle of having to explain my business.

"How suspicious I must look!"

Take a dog. I still feel like a criminal, but no one pays a bit of attention to me - even in a busy McDonalds parking lot! I did feel very illegal when I took the big brass Water Meter lid off to find the magnetic cache hidden inside.

I have not yet been questioned by any cops. But I want to be. It'd be hilarious, like a rite of passage. LOL.

it's not that funny when they detain you for several hours because someone thought you looked like a terrorist.

voice of experience.

as for the playground cache, my friends and i do not have kids. we bring a clipboard and i put on my gloves. we stand to one side of the playground and i say "i'll check under that one" "you get that side" "ok, this one's clear". people ignore us in droves.

every once in a while some amused person asks us what we're doing, and we've told them (roughly) the truth.

We have been questioned twice by the police while caching. The first time (up in the mountains, away from everybody and everything) was really kinda funny, he said someone reported 'suspicious characters' in the area but it just turned out we were some of 'those geocacher nuts'.

The second time was NOT so funny. There was some confusion about our last names (I kept my name after we married) and evidently there is someone living near my house with the same last name as me who the police are VERY interested in finding. So, it took quite some time to get cleared up. The officer wouldn't let my husband leave until he got to talk to another officer who had actually seen the guy they were looking for, so he could give a good physical description (which didn't match my husband by 30 years, 75 pounds and 7" :laughing: ) And yes, my husband had plenty of identification on him, but the officer wanted to be absolutely sure. THAT particular cache stop took us about an hour or so for a 30 second find. :P

I have not yet had the pleasure or misfortune to be hassled by police, but my wife and I were once questioned by a curious woman as to what we were doing in the bushes. :P

Small GPSr's make good cameras and cell phones. It amazing how little attention people pay to someone leaning against the hood of his car, staring at a rock wall, while demonstratively talking on his gps/cell phone. Or, for that matter, taking pictures of things that are not very interesting or photogenic.

The trick is to look like you belong, do that and no one pays any attention to you.

We have actually done that before. "Excuse me. Hi, we're doing a scavenger hunt, and I think what we're looking for is on the bench. Would you mind if we took a look?"

Then, we sent our 7 year old in to grab it.

As far as getting questioned or looking suspicious, if you feel uneasy and are worried, your body will show that, but if you feel like you belong, people will tend to ignore you.

That said, we have had both police and regular people approach us. The police usually because they're doing their job or it's very late at night and people because they're curious (or concerned). We try to keep our answers simple, usually saying we're doing a scavenger hunt.

Most people either think you're just weird, or they show an interest and get more curious. The police can usually tell right away if there's reason for concern, and if you're not doing anything wrong, they usually don't give you a hard time. We've never had a bad experience with either a muggle or the police.

We have a local cacher who goes after the urban caches while wearing the "orange reflective vest" (like the highway workers) and carries a clipboard. He claims it makes him nearly invisible in most urban environments.

:P

It is absolutely true that if you walk into an environment like you own the place, most people wouldn't give you a second glance.

DCC

I gave up on the whole stealth thing long ago. If there are too many muggles and/or too close. I just walk away. Otherwise, I just boldly walk up to the spot and take care of business. Act like I belong there and I know 100% for certain what I am doing. Sign the log and move along.

Only time I was ever stopped was when I was taking my 3 year old son down a trail in a rural area - I looked a bit suspicious to somebody. Explained Geocaching and was on my way.

We have a local cacher who goes after the urban caches while wearing the "orange reflective vest" (like the highway workers) and carries a clipboard. He claims it makes him nearly invisible in most urban environments.

:laughing:

It is absolutely true that if you walk into an environment like you own the place, most people wouldn't give you a second glance.

DCC

Ah the invisible approach. Want an excellent tip for turning invisible? CITO the area. :P Folks will absolutely look in the opposite direction to not be shamed into doing the same thing.

I gave up on the whole stealth thing long ago. If there are too many muggles and/or too close. I just walk away. Otherwise, I just boldly walk up to the spot and take care of business. Act like I belong there and I know 100% for certain what I am doing. Sign the log and move along.

That's the approach I take too now.

I've never been questioned by the police, but I have had two run-ins with people.

1) A land owner who demanded to know "Who hid this thing near my fence!!??!" (We were on the poublic side of the fence but that didn't seem to matter to him.)

2) A restaurant employee who strongly encouraged us to never come back after we were spotted looking for a micro near their dumpster. (Believe me, I didn't need much encouragement to not look for that cache again anyway.)

Only time I was ever stopped was when I was taking my 3 year old son down a trail in a rural area - I looked a bit suspicious to somebody. Explained Geocaching and was on my way.

Hmmm, that's kinda strange. I would think that most people would think it's cool that a father's taking his son out into the woods. People we meet on the trail always tell us it's so good that we're taking our son outside rather than letting him sit in front of a TV playing video games all day.

Absolutely the best advice in this whole thread. That's the approach I take, and I've never been questioned.

Today I got surprised by an elderly next door neighbor to a park cache I was grabbing. The cache was well away from the playground just along the fenceline, but clearly in the park. She asked what I was doing in her yard, so I told her I was in the park, that my son had dropped a toy car there the other day and I was just looking for it.

I've used that excuse in the past and since I'm motherly looking (go figure, since that's what I am, and often have 1 or both of the boys with me) it works with no more questions.

Hmmm, that's kinda strange. I would think that most people would think it's cool that a father's taking his son out into the woods. People we meet on the trail always tell us it's so good that we're taking our son outside rather than letting him sit in front of a TV playing video games all day.

Sadly, in our society everyone is a child abuser in some peoples' minds. A man taking a boy into a private place is just certainly up to no good!

I think you would be right if "most people" recognised the man as the boy's father, but unfortunately unless the "incident" occurred where the two were well known, the neighbourhood busy bodies would have no way of knowing the difference between father and pervert- so they automatically assume 'pervert'.

That's our society- people are trained and conditioned to always assume the worst, especially after 911.

That people are more aware is a good thing ultimately, but a downside is that innocent acts get questioned more often than is really necessary.

Sucks to be the one that is falsely accused and cannot easily and quickly refute the allegation.

A stealth failure could cost plenty in time, hassle, reputation, and attorney's fees. Stealth is a fun game sometimes, but pretty risky all-in-all IMO.

this past week while vacationing in ohau i had that pleasure twice. the first night there my wife and i went for a walk down the beach. located from our condo were a few caches and i had found one and went to look for another on a pier in the marina. we were there only ten minutes and left. the light was too bad to see. the next morning around 7:00 am i went back to look for the cache. after a few minutes one of the guys who lives on his boat right were i was looking came over asked me what i was doing and i told him i was looking for something my grandson threw out the window. then he went on to tell me that there is always people wondering around here. then another lady asked if she could help. i said no i would come back later and look again.

the next morning i went again and looked around the same time.after a few minutes i sat down to answer my cell and have a smoke, not even ten minutes later a hononolulu cop comes creeping by so i waited then left. but when i got to the road at the end of the pier he was there waiting and stopped me asking what i was doing there. i told him i liked boats and walked down to see what was there. he said they got a call about a suspicios person, i looked like description given. i just told him i had wlaked down one side and was walking up there other and sat down when he drove by. he still ran my licsense

there was also another cache at the end of the same pier that i hadn't got to yet so i did a cache and dash from the car and was able to score both with no hassle!

the second time was when the maintainer of a cache and i were leaving the the area of another cache and were stop by a DSP ? officer that was going ballistic. going to have us arrested for trespassing on private, then state and federal land. arrested for this and that and everything else too. the other cacher told this guy that he, as well as others, have be hiking up this same trail for years and never have ,gotten stop by anyone. but the the guy said he and the feds knew of some sort of shrine hidden up there and that they knew it was on a web site and that they were in the process of shutting it down. and going to make an example of us for everyone else who goes up there. i can honestly say i was alittle freaking and so was the other guy. he finally ended up letting us go. the maintainer of the cache knew anything about all this either.

the cache has since been shutdown to get things straightened out so there is no more problems for future cachers. this is a beautiful cache started a service man stationed currently back east. i know it has been visited by other cachers previously because i saw the log signed as i was signing it some dated back over a year. this cache is a memorial to the 27 service men from hawai'i who have died in the line of fire in either desert storm or currently in iraq or ahganastan. everyone who put their time in to this cache should be highly commended. the area had been cito'd a number of times as well as cleaned out and painted. framed photos of those servicemen are on the walls . this is one truly unforgetable cache and memorial. this was my best cache ever in alot of ways. it is awesome and i hope others will get to see it soon also.

the area where we parked was a public street. there were no signs of any sort saying no parking. there were no signs posted on an obviously daily used path. actually not a sign anywere. a point we continuely told that officer. there is a park nearby and the area is used by joggers daily. the land i was told is considered blm type area so no one has any notion it was on federal(?) or any other trespassable property.

i think that everywhere, public property may be private while private property is public. caching certainly can be a rush.

A cop friend of mine pointed out something I found very disturbing-

some GPSrs can look like hand guns when grasped with the antenna facing forward.

I made a quick change in how I hold my GPSr at all times, but I have wondered if others have considered that.

Getting questioned has not bothered me, but getting shot would be a "problem."

Try to NOT look like a criminal!

Make eye contact and smile in a friendly way with GPSr in the open.

Stealth can be risky behavior!

After night caching one night in an 24-hour available cache, a few friends and I were on the wrong road but relatively close to what would be a nice walking distance to the cache (except it was over a steep hill, and the cache rating didn't make since in my book). Anyway, we kept driving back and forth and stopping in these two wide spots about a mile and a half apart. Finally we picked a spot and stopped and got out. Immediately, a police cruiser pulled up to us and asked what was going on. We told him what we were doing, and he asked what we were looking for, and we said, "It's been placed by the remaining foundation of the old Mound City Glass Plant." He gave us directions to the right road and wished us good luck. It was very memorable.

This day and age, as others have posted, people rarely pay attention to people with hand-held gadgets. It is common to see people with Ipods and cell phones in rural areas and parks every day. Texting is a hot thing that most people do now, so when I feel like I'm being watched too closely, I just look down at my GPS and fiddle with some of the buttons. To all but the very observant, it looks like you are texting on your cell phone. This also helps me zero in on the cache while it looks like I'm doing something else, and, when the right opportunity comes along, I make a grab for it whenever their back is turned. I have never had a muggle come up to me and ask what I was doing, but, if they did, I would tell them what I was doing and invite them to come along. I think this is an excellent way to promote and share this great outdoor hobby.

The main thing that I've found that helps draw attention away from what I'm doing is bringing Maggie my dog with me on urban caches. I usually take her with me anyway when scouring parks and such but when checking out the more populated areas she's been a real help. To anyone around it looks more like she's sniffing something out and just being a dog and I've found a few in some REALLY populated areas without drawing attention to myself because of her. Get yourself a dog and train it well, it's especially fun when you're caching alone.

Oh, and if/when questioned by the police the truth is never the wrong answer.

:ph34r:

Edited by jimbud