Info re: Viking Shield & Axe?

E.caballus

Just received my set today and they are absolutely wonderful! I can't wait to show my friend's 2nd grade class next year when they study Scandinavia.

Question to mousekatat or CastleC&Ps - could you post some more info about the shapes and runes and symbols? I went back to the website and there's no longer any info about them.

Thanks.

Hilda

Just received my set today and they are absolutely wonderful! I can't wait to show my friend's 2nd grade class next year when they study Scandinavia.

Question to mousekatat or CastleC&Ps - could you post some more info about the shapes and runes and symbols? I went back to the website and there's no longer any info about them.

Thanks.

Hilda

i got mine today too (one set anyway) and wow, amazing detail and the ax is rather delicate feeling - i just love this design. well done mousekatat!!!

rsg

Thanks!

I WILL get back here with some information, but right now we're getting ready for a visit from WindWalker and her hubby, who are in Sweden on a caching trip from Holland!

Briefly, though, the axe is a representation of the Mamen axe that was found in Norway, the image on its handle is taken from a baptismal font from pre-medieval times that was found here in Sweden, and the creatures on front of the shield are taking from an actual Viking golden flag that was found in a church about 15 miles from me and has a great story to go with it!

The runes on the front of the shield simply, hehehe, spell out "viking shield," and that was Jim's idea. The shield was a bit more challenging as no actual shields have survived the viking era since they are all made of wood, only bits and pieces and the metal fittings. The shield was made from research done on the net and a bit of imagination :angry:

Very glad you guys enjoyed them, I enjoyed making them!

Naomi

Here are a few more pics:

2599807551_0b7e6a8588_o.jpg

2600637786_7d45a11ee8_o.jpg

2599807397_e756442174_o.jpg

The original axe:

mamen_stein.jpg

And a little info about it, taken directly from another website:

Found in the tomb of a high-status Danish Viking nobleman, this axe is one of the finest examples of inlaid silver work of the Viking Age. On one side, a stylized bird with a turned-back head is depicted, while the other side is covered with interlacing plant designs. Viking art styles incorporated animal and plant motifs that varied regionally and over time. One popular design style is called the Mammen style after this axe, which was found in Mammen, Denmark.

The figure on the shield is said by researchers to be a winged dragon. It is on a viking age gilt "flag" that once flew above the church in Söderala, which was built in the 1100's ans is still used as a village church today. Legend has it that when the lake in the area was still connected to the sea and was sailed upon, a viking ship was in trouble under a great storm. The chieftain of the ship and clan that was on it had heard of the "White Christ" and promised to send the flag, which sat now on top of the ship's mast, to the nearest church if he and his crew were saved. The ship and it's crew survived the storm and the chieftan held true to his word.

2599921177_617d7bfb3b_o.jpg

The figure that is on the shaft of the axe I actually don't have a lot of information on. All the information that I have is that it is taken from a medieval baptismal font at Gällstad church.

2599921267_3b93edfcbd_o.jpg

These were minted in very limited quantities, I believe there were a total of 350 sets minted and we won't be doing a remint on them, unfortunately. There are plans to do some further coins in this series as soon as I can get the artwork finished for them! They will be as historically accurate as possible, as well!

Glad you all enjoyed them and hope the information is what you were looking for!

Naomi :angry:

Thanks again for the extra info and pics Naomi......have copied and pasted it all. Looking forward to the next in this series......I know I'm going to love the axe and shield and they haven't even arrived yet lol.

Just hope I don't miss the sales link when the next lot go up for sale.......I'm terrible with working out the different American time zones. I nearly missed these and that was with being registered AND getting the email. :angry::D

Oh you're a little gem Naomi, thanks muchly.......have copied and pasted that as well now!!!! Seriously though that really is a great help to me......I'll stick in on a post-it too, no excuses for me missing out now!

I just love it when this type of coin comes out......with a bit of history/mythology too it. I see that it's saying on the site that it's a helmet and sword next.... and I would hate to miss out on them.

Ali :angry:

The viking helmet is based on a helmet that was excavated from the late 700's, and the sword I don't have any real information on. It's based on a sword that is at the national museum. It has the end pommel, there was very little left of the hilt, and the hand guard was gone, so that one I used my imagination on to do.

Had to use a little creative license with both, had to shorten the nose piece on the helmet and make the handguard on the sword. Also had to do a little research on the sword to find out that viking swords were shorter and broader than other swords of the time.

Hope that helps some!

Naomi ;)

Hey Niomi,

Have a managed to miss the 3rd in this series??

I'm On castleman's mail list and they are about the only geocoin related e-mail i've been reading for a while but i've not seen any sign??

Don't want to miss out as i have the rest of the series and the ruinstone and hammer coins too.

Thanks a mil,

Ljay

Hey Niomi,

I'm On castleman's mail list and they are about the only geocoin related e-mail i've been reading for a while but i've not seen any sign??

Don't want to miss out as i have the rest of the series and the ruinstone and hammer coins too.

Thanks a mil,

Ljay

No, you didn't miss it.

I have been gone on holidays for a number of weeks (close to two months) and have had limited time to get into coins. The third and final edition of the series will hopefully be coming soon.

Hey Niomi,

Thanks a mil,

Ljay

No, you didn't miss it.

I have been gone on holidays for a number of weeks (close to two months) and have had limited time to get into coins. The third and final edition of the series will hopefully be coming soon.

Hope you had a wonderful Holiday then and i will stop worrying and watch. I've managed to get all but one of Niomi's coins without having to resort to the nasty e-place and didn't want to have to start trawling to complete the collection.

Keep up the hard work, Thanks a mil,

Ljay

Naomi- sorry to dig up an old thread- but I have a shield, sword, helmet and axe- were there anymore produced?

I didn't receive any notifications of them, but would love to finish the set if they exist! We're both in the SCA, and our persona's are both Norse, so these just totally tickled us!

Cheers,

Thyri.