Satellite acquiring problems

Good day all,

I am presently serving over in Afghanistan, and recently cam back from some well deserved holidays. I used my GPSr here prior to going on holiday, so I know it works here and at home while on holiday. Once I returned back here, it no longer picks up satellites they don't even flash?????? Could this be because it had to go through the numerous xray machines? I do have a military back up if need be, but I am really frustrated with this issue. If there is anyone out there that has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

There are 10 caches where I am located and I plan on gettin em all....................one down, 9 to go.

I own the Garmin etrex legend Cx

Thanks.

Edited by RBC(Soldier_and_sons)

First, thank you so much for your service to our country. It is greatly appreciated.

As for the satellite issue. have you tried resetting the acquisition process to restart from the beginning (on a Garmin, basically, give the unit a clear view of the sky and leave it sit for a few minutes, eventually it will time out not finding anything and give you a list of options -- one of which is to start the search completely over -- not continue acquiring, but restart search -- select that and let it sit for up to 30 minutes). Since you moved such a great distance from the last spot the unit was turn on, it's possible it just needs to re-establish it's base location.

My Vista Cx has a similar "dead radio receiver" symptom as well one time and ended up fixing that be removing the batteries for a few minutes and then doing the full acquisition process I described above and it came back to life.

Good day all,

I am presently serving over in Afghanistan, and recently cam back from some well deserved holidays. I used my GPSr here prior to going on holiday, so I know it works here and at home while on holiday. Once I returned back here, it no longer picks up satellites they don't even flash?????? Could this be because it had to go through the numerous xray machines? I do have a military back up if need be, but I am really frustrated with this issue. If there is anyone out there that has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

There are 10 caches where I am located and I plan on gettin em all....................one down, 9 to go.

Thanks.

Edited by Lasagna

You need to download a new almanac from the sats. Go to the Main Menu, Select Satellite, and press the Menu button. Scroll down to New Location and select it and pick Automatic. Give the unit a good sky view and let it download the almanac, this could take several minutes.

Edited by coggins

That's the same thing as happens if you let the timeout occur ... I knew there was a way to force it, but by GPS is in the car and I was too lazy to go fetch it. Thanks coggins.

You need to download a new almanac from the sats. Go to the Main Menu, Select Satellite, and press the Menu button. Scroll down to New Location and select it and pick Automatic. Give the unit a good sky view and let it download the almanac, this could take several minuets.