1,000,000 caches worldwide . . . When ?

flydad

When I started caching, there were only about 120,000 caches worldwide. There are now just at 600,000 caches worldwide.

What date will show 1,000,000 million caches worldwide ? :blink:

Shouldn't that date question stimulate some sort of little contest ? ? ? . . . and what form should that contest take ? ? ? . . . anyone into the pool ? ? ? :D

My guess on the date is now 14 October 2010, although I reserve the right to alter that within the next week. :D

-- Flydad

Presumably you're including the other listing sites as well ????

No, not at all.

(The ~600,000 I mentioned is for geocaching.com published count. It's a single count source that currently stands at 600,593 . . . that's up from 599,970 about 5 hours ago. If I had included other listing sites, the number mentioned would not be the GC number. If you want to widen your count to include other hides, be my guest. I prefer to look at a single, already-compiled number.)

Why Flydad, you calculating your FTF percentage chances? :):):D:D:P:)

-R

Since I had a few FTF's, one day I just thought I'd check the percentage. It's stayed fairly constant at about 15 percent over the last year or so. Just a curious statistic . . . :angry:

:angry: 15% of active caches! as FTF

yowza - you're a cachin' machine....

The ~600,000 I mentioned is for geocaching.com published count.

It's the number of active caches, not published caches. I don't think you can get at the total published number (including archived). Though perhaps you don't care - active caches is the number you can hunt NOW.

Number of cache pages written is up around +910000. That number isn't caches published either. It's cache pages generated.

The ~600,000 I mentioned is for geocaching.com published count.

It's the number of active caches, not published caches. I don't think you can get at the total published number (including archived). Though perhaps you don't care - active caches is the number you can hunt NOW.

Good point ! Simultaneously active and published.

BTW, I find that a FTF opportunity puts a little extra bounce in my search step. :angry: In addition, it's always a bit more interesting to get a FTF in a different state -- MD, WV, and LA -- and it's much more interesting to bag a FTF in another country -- Iceland and Saudi Arabia.

Saudi is particularly interesting because of the relative scarcity of caches there -- a little over 150 for the whole country, which is the size of the US east of the Mississippi -- and the relative difficulty of access to the country itself -- there is no tourist or visitor's visa. I particularly remember GCZ2DM "Edge of Edge of the World" with its 120+m drop just a couple of feet behind your back as you sign the cache log.

Edited by flydad

When I started caching, there were only about 120,000 caches worldwide. There are now just at 600,000 caches worldwide.

What date will show 1,000,000 million caches worldwide ? :angry:

Shouldn't that date question stimulate some sort of little contest ? ? ? . . . and what form should that contest take ? ? ? . . . anyone into the pool ? ? ? :P

My guess on the date is now 14 October 2010, although I reserve the right to alter that within the next week. :)

-- Flydad

Presumably you're including the other listing sites as well ????

No, not at all.

(The ~600,000 I mentioned is for geocaching.com published count. It's a single count source that currently stands at 600,593 . . . that's up from 599,970 about 5 hours ago. If I had included other listing sites, the number mentioned would not be the GC number. If you want to widen your count to include other hides, be my guest. I prefer to look at a single, already-compiled number.)

Aaaaah - but your original post doesn't talk about this site in isolation - just 600,000 geocaches.

Perhaps you should have posted instead about the 1,000,000th Groundspeak geocache.... :D:D

Aaaaah - but your original post doesn't talk about this site in isolation - just 600,000 geocaches.

Perhaps you should have posted instead about the 1,000,000th Groundspeak geocache.... :angry::D

Yes, you are correct. My original post doesn't talk about this site in isolation. However, because the post was only posted at this site in isolation, it was assumed that the reader would understand that the discussion was regarding only this site.

Have you created numbers for the total number of caches from all caching sources, active and inactive, published and non-published, nutritive or otherwise, worldwide or universal ? :D:P

Speaking universally, you might check the numbers in the following post:

"I noticed 500,000 passed about 2 months ago. The pace is picking up....

Wiki shows the total number of square miles of land on this planet is 92,153,600. It would take 9.2 billion caches to saturate the land mass of this planet.

Get busy people.....!"

It would appear that this engineering number is way too low. :):) It doesn't consider extraterrestrial or benthic caches.

Edited by flydad
Yes, you are correct. My original post doesn't talk about this site in isolation. However, because the post was only posted at this site in isolation, it was assumed that the reader would understand that the discussion was regarding only this site.

Fair comment - but if this had been a General Motors forum and you'd asked how many cars there were in the World I wouldn't have assumed you only meant GM cars either..... :angry::D:D

Fair comment - but if this had been a General Motors forum and you'd asked how many cars there were in the World I wouldn't have assumed you only meant GM cars either..... :angry::D:D

You feel I would assume GM people would have obtained proprietary lifetime competitive production figures of all the other car manufacturers worldwide ? Being proprietary, I doubt that specific production and sales figures would be divulged.

Why GM ? Not MG or Lotus ?