Transparent Custom Maps

I've noticed that custom maps I've sent to my Garmin along with topo 2008 maps always appear on top of and obscure the topo 2008 maps. I thought that creating the maps transparent solved this problem, but I'm not getting the results I thought I would. I've even checked the code on the .mp file to make sure the line says "Transparent=Y" before running it through cGPSmapper.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Yeah, I thought I could just hide or show it as I needed, but I'd prefer to get it to project right.

I want to be able to see the other aspects of the Garmin Topo software without my custom map obstructing it. In other words, my custom map is just a bunch of polygons (like to mark state, national park boudnaries) , and in areas where they would have roads going through them, the roads are covered by the polygons. I want the roads (from Topo) to overlay on top of the polygons. I assumed "making custom maps transparent" did that. Do I have it backwards?

Yeah, I thought I could just hide or show it as I needed, but I'd prefer to get it to project right.

I want to be able to see the other aspects of the Garmin Topo software without my custom map obstructing it. In other words, my custom map is just a bunch of polygons (like to mark state, national park boudnaries) , and in areas where they would have roads going through them, the roads are covered by the polygons. I want the roads (from Topo) to overlay on top of the polygons. I assumed "making custom maps transparent" did that. Do I have it backwards?

Same here; polygon data in my base files will draw after line data in a specialized file (trails, geology).

To get the info for the geology polygons to 'show', I had to create the base files as transparent - not an option for you, as your base is a comercial product. Seems what is in a transparent file will draw after what is not; while experimenting, I noticed at some zoom levels the line data would draw and then the polygon would cover over them. May also have something to do with the order the files are put into the garmin '.img. file. As Stan points out, some unexpected and unusual things occur.

You need to make your polygons semi-transparent using custom typ...

Here's a couple of examples of semi-transparent ploygons using a variety of patterns displayed over Topo US 2008....these are in white but can be colored any color you want.

25.jpg

Wave2.jpg

Brick.jpg

Dashed.jpg

rws is correct.

Think of it this way. If you make the map transparent anything not included in the map will be clear. Polygons on the other hand are solid objects and thus they will not be see through because they are opaque. the area outside the polygon on the other hand will be transparent.

Don't the topo maps include the national/state park boundaries?

Thanks for the replies guys. rws, could you be more specific about the "custom typ"? I'm not sure I follow you.

Topo does include state and national park boundaries. The polygons in this layer are a compilation of basically every piece of property that is under some sort of conservation easement in North Carolina. It is produced by the NC Natural Heritage Program. Consequently, they tend to be very nice natural areas to visit and its useful to be able to see their boundaries while in the field.

Thanks for the replies guys. rws, could you be more specific about the "custom typ"? I'm not sure I follow you.

Topo does include state and national park boundaries. The polygons in this layer are a compilation of basically every piece of property that is under some sort of conservation easement in North Carolina. It is produced by the NC Natural Heritage Program. Consequently, they tend to be very nice natural areas to visit and its useful to be able to see their boundaries while in the field.

See chapter 7 in the cGPSMapper manual for info on custom type files. For ease of working with typ files get a copy of GenTYP (freeware). I made the above patterns in a graphics program and imported them into GenTYP.

Edited by rws

"transparent" is not really the correct term. This probably stems from Stan not having English as his first language. The term "overlay" more correctly describes what you get with a "transparent" map.

As stated TYP customization will be a workaround for polygones, BUT, not all units can use it, so if you are distributing the maps, it is not a good idea.

rws: These would be great maps for geology. Would Cross Sections be doable ?

not a cross section....but you could layer polygons to give a somewhat representation of one

example of 3 layered solid polygons...

(way out of scale for demo purposes)

layer1.jpg

example of 3 layered semi-transparent polygons...

(way out of scale for demo purposes)

layer3.jpg

Edited by rws