Claiming FTF honors

jaypit

So I was going for a FTF today in Oaklandon when three other cachers showed up. Eventually, Maraudermom comes up with the hide. Who gets to claim FTF?

I have heard that traditionally, when a group of cachers are attempting a FTF, all members of the group get to claim the coveted award.

Then there's the other camp that believes there can be only one FTFer, no matter who else is actively searching for the cache when it's found.

Last summer, Team CB_Indy, Joetony and I were First To Find the very enjoyable "Night Cache On Lake Monroe", a 5/5 that can only be found at night and with a small watercraft. It was truly a team effort as you have to keep track of a couple different distances while shining around the area with a flashlight. Joetony and I were keeping track of distances while CB was flashing around. I would definitely consider that a shared FTF.

It could be considered a horse of a different color when four different caches are searching around a pine tree in a city park.

Any thoughts? :blink:

My thought is it depends on the group of cachers and who owns the cache. I would have no problem if I'm out looking for a FTF with a group or another cacher came along and I found the cache and everyone claimed the FTF. Some cachers would only consider the first name on the log as the true FTF.

I have heard that traditionally, when a group of cachers are attempting a FTF, all members of the group get to claim the coveted award.

COVETED AWARD? WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?

One of these

:blink:

at the very bottom of the cache listing, just above the reviewer note!

But what do dogs care?

COVETED AWARD? WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?

Exactly!

There is no award. There is no one to determine this dispute, if it be a dispute. It shows up in no "official" stats. No one is going to check up on you, give you anything, disqualify you from anything. You might have a tiff with others in the group or with the cache owner, but in the end, FTF is whatever you want it to be! Claim it if you like.

Team hunts are common and the usual practice if for each member to log the cache. So, it would seem to be the case in logging a FTF. In the end, who really cares? It is just personal goal achievement and, if you're into that sort of thing, bragging rights.

Now if these was not really a group, but several independent cachers converging to seize the coveted FTF title, then it might make more sense that the one with the find hold sole rights to the FTF. But, still, it is whatever you want it to be . . . .

I would say it depends on the group. If you search as a group, you can all claim FTF honors. I remember a certain cache.......grrrrrr, coughcoughdamnshelterscoughcough, 40 or so people looking at once but I don't remember 4dam offering me a logbook to sign.

We always try to put some small prize for the FTF'er and then there is of course:

th.9bc885f3b8.jpg