Nuvi 350 Map Update Question

I'm a little confused about upgrading the maps for my Nuvi 350. I was thinking that you got a free upgrade for a year. I bought the 350 in February 2008. I went to the Garmin web site, registered, upgraded the operating system. Then it said something about unlock code & date unlocked today. What is this about? It looks like they want me to buy the 2009 maps. This is what I got:

Available map updates for this device:

City Navigator® North America NT 2009 Map Update Buy Disk Buy Download

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maps installed on this device:

City Navigator North America NT 2008 Deluxe Unlock

Region: City Navigator North America NT 2008, Deluxe All Regions, Apr 07

Code: 78...

Unlock Code: 4PK7GQ...

Date Unlocked: Jun 21, 2008

Typically, you are eligible for a free map update if you buy a unit with the old maps AFTER the new maps are released. If you purchased a unit after March 1, 2008 and if it had the v2008 maps, you would likely be eligible to get the v2009 update for the City Navigator North America maps free. Otherwise, if you want to update the maps on your GPS unit, you would need to purchase the update.

There are no free updates for a year for any current Garmin units.

Also, typically the update is less expensive when purchased from a 3rd party retailer rather than from Garmin.