caching with a baby?

So... I should mention that a new geocacher entered the world 5 weeks ago! She doesn't have her own geocaching id yet, but will eventually. I hope. If we ever cache again...

So, here's the question. Has anyone ever geocached with a tiny little cacher and are there any tricks of the trade? I've already figured out to get up at an ungodly hour so as to be out the door with the sun... cache only in the cool (I live in Alabama) and make my husband carry the diaper bag. Any other tips?

I seriously am loosing my mind if we don't get out soon. We didn't cache much while I was PG due to the cold and my big belly and hubbys job being insane. I'm at the point now that if I don't do something that I did pre-tiny cacher I'm going to loose my mind. I miss my addiction!

Thanks for any help!

Check the profile for ArmyMustang. I have cached with her and her 2 little ones. Her SO doesn't cache with her but she does manage very well. I've even seen her at a couple of events recently.

PS: Watch out for ticks, chiggers and other little nasties while out with your little one.

Edited by tomfuller & Quill

Right now I'd go with a sling like a hotsling. It's a simple loop type sling with a pocket that the baby fits into and can actually be used up to when the baby is a couple of years old, depending on how big they are.

hotsling_hemp.jpghotsling_khaki.jpgDSC06685.JPGHotslingTHUMB.jpg

and a website showing how easy it is to nurse discretely with one if you're nursing.

Here I am with Caitlyn in the hotsling. She was 4 days shy of 12 weeks here :blink:

carnival029ex3.jpg

I used a hotsling with my youngest and loved it. Used it from about 5 weeks, actually. She was colicky and would not let us put her down for anything, she wasn't the type that would scream for 10 minutes and stop, she kept going until she made herself sick. Used it everywhere, in the house, shopping, taking walks. She didn't use her stroller at all, actually. I think we used the stroller maybe 15 times total in the last 25 months!

I really recommend the hotsling because it's got a broad learning curve, lots of different positions you can carry the baby in, not too warm, and it's comfortable. I have used ours for caching a time or two, but I've got a bad rotator cuff in one shoulder and if I wear it over that shoulder too long I get a lot of pain there. Had I not had that, though, I'd use it a lot more! Hubby can and does use it, too, once he got used to the idea.

Best of all, hehehe, there's enough space in it to tuck in a spare diaper, bottle, and a few wipes in a zip-loc without looking like you're carrying it all, so it frees up a lot of space if you're not going to be out for a marathon trip.

Whatever you do, do not go for a baby bjorn type carrier. The chiropractic association has shown that they are very bad for a baby, putting a lot of pressure on their spine, pelvis and hips that their little bodies aren't ready for.

Whatever you choose, just know that you CAN get out there and cache with a little one. The hotsling was great since I could completely cover Caitlyn up. It was delightful with all the interested folks who would come peek in the pouch to see my little sleeping darling :D. Use common sense, think about heat and dehydration, don't overdress them and remember, a tired baby is BOSS!! It just ain't worth it to force a tired baby to do something, whether it be caching or shopping! Also, remember insect repellent and sunscreen. There are all natural insect repellents, such as lavendar oil, that do work well and are baby safe!

Have a great time enjoying caching, summer and your new little one! I'm so jealous :D

Naomi :D

Edited by mousekakat

Hi from downunder,

Our youngest was only 6 months when we started cacheing and othen we used a backpack carrier. There was many trails we where able to take our pram on aswell.

I just have to say it does slow you down but that is a great thing as you will end up enjoying more of what is around you.

Take care and enjoy.

Get a sitter if you have to cache that badly.

Our youngest isn't 2 yet, but we take him out when we have a few parks to visit, and allow the kids to play.

If we don't, we don't take the kids.

Why? We generally don't think its a good idea to. Besides, they will wine.

Our oldest at 13 is into it somewhat, like most teenagers, she is into Boys and other things.

Also be prepared when you take your kids out, to return home when something tells you to. LOL, you will find this happens often.

Honestly find a sitter until the kid is older then a year, because you will be more concerned with the kid then the cache! Once they start walking around, its more interesting!

Just my opinion.

We cached a bit when our son was young. We would go out and hunt for ones that were drive-by (we'd take turns hopping out of the geo-truck) or that involved a very short walk from a parking area. There were also a couple near to us that were "stroller friendly" and one of us just stayed with the baby while the other one made the find. (and then trade out so that the other could go find it too!)

I am working on some caches that are going to be "family-friendly" and suitable for parents with even the youngest children. Just because I know how hard it was to find caches that we could find with a wee one and wanted to make sure other new moms had an opportunity to get out of the house and return to caching.

Good luck and enjoy your first cache back into the swing of things! :blink:

My grandson is 5 months old, and I still won't attempt geocaching with him.

Geocaching in an inherently dangerous activity. People fall all the time, sometimes with injuries. Two years ago, I fell and broke my ankle. Imagine doing that with an infant under you!

Besides, at this age the baby gets nothing out of the activity. Within the year, he'll be running around and then I will feel more comfortable taking him with me. However, with the short attention span of a toddler, we're probably talking about 1/* caches in city parks and the like. Anywhere you can reach with a stroller will be ideal.

Now, that doesn't prevent you from geocaching. Get a sitter and go for it! We baby sit for our daughter all the time.

First, GRATS! Cached with both of our kids, one at 1 and the other at about 5 weeks. Just be sensible, stay safe, and outta da sun. I also recommend a sling or when a little bigger, a front loading Baby Bjorn. Go for it! Being with your child is the most important thing.. I'd much rather be caching with him / her than leaving them with a sitter! They'll get loads from the interaction... OK they won't understand the caching, but they'll understand they are with you, out in the fresh air, new sights and sounds.

Edited by Maingray

It's totally possible but you have to go in with very low expectations. However, we've been blessed with a very happy baby. We've had almost zero problems, he only gets cranky when he's hungry or tired. Your mileage may vary if you have a cranky child, we realize ours is the exception.

I do it with my youngest. He started at 12 months and is now 15 months. I use 2 methods. A jogging stroller (3 big wheels, good for easy to moderate terrain) or my prefered method a backpack made for carrying a baby. We've hiked up to 4 miles with him in the backpack. I was worried he wouldn't like it but he seems to love it. He hasn't gotten cranky once. And on our last trip he actually fell asleep in the backpack for the last 1/4 mile of the hike. That is the first time he's done that.

I try to use some common sense though. We never go out unless he's had a recent nap and been fed. The backpack has a small pouch which carries the bare essentials. Diaper, wipes and milk. We don't hike when it's hot and high sun. I keep him hydrated by giving him his milk or sips from my water. And of course I have the necessities (bug spray, sun block, etc.) in a fanny pack. The terrian I choose is always easy; well grooved trails, rails to trails, parks, city pavillions, cemeteries, etc.

When my wife joins us, it's even easier because then I can make brief detours into rougher areas while my wife manages the baby.

The only bad experience we had was very brief. The cache was just off a well troddened trail. I snagged his ear on a thorn. He cried and got over it and I learned to me more careful. I didn't realize just how high up he was sitting on my back, now I know.

The worst part of the whole thing. One of the few words he knows is TREE. He has to annouce to me every time he spots a tree. Do you know how many trees we see?

Yep, that's a tree....

Too many photos of him can be found by following the links though my profile. No shots of him in the carrier though, I'll have to change that over the next month or so.

Edited by Morning Dew

I LOVED my hotsling!! That was the best thing ever. When my kiddos were little, the EASIEST way to go caching was just to hit park n grabs. As mundane as they may seem, they are great to scratch that caching itch without subjecting yourself to the VERY capricious whims of the little ones.

Another thing I did, esp as the kids got older, was I looked for caches that had playgrounds nearby and even started a series of Playground Caches; unpopular as they may be in some caching circles, I knew from experience that I could get a LOT more time hunting caches if the kids were occupied on a playground!

The backpack carrier is good, but not til the baby can sit up on her own. DH liked it b/c it was carrying a rucksack on a ruck march :blink: (In fact, he even loaded our older son into the backpack and took him on one of their more informal ruck marches!)

Jogging stroller. It's amazing what bumpy terrain you can cover with that stabilized front wheel. SO much better than the more lightweight umbrella stroller. I made a terrain 3 cache "stroller friendly" once - had the umbrella stroller with me and REALLY wished for the jogger that day!

Right now, my kids are a bit ambivalent about caching and I'm trying to find a way to get them back into it. We found an ammo can LOADED with kid's swag the other day and that about did it. My oldest can write is name but it might take up too much room on a small log. I am thinking that for Christmas I'm going to get him a starter GPS so he can feel more like he's a part of the hunt.

It's great. I am definitely more interested in caching than my DH or the kids, but when we all go out together, it's a lot of fun. I like showing the kids that there is FUN stuff to do outside!

ENJOY!!

ETA - One night, for our date night, instead of going to dinner and a movie, we went caching and then to a movie! Also, when I got my "time off" on the weekends when DH would stay with the kids, I'd often go out caching then too.

Edited by parker313

Hi! Congratulations!

I wasn't a cacher when either of my children were that young, but I was a hiker (and still am). I'd often load the baby into the Baby Bjorn and take the dogs out for a hike, just to keep my sanity.

I highly suggest getting out often either with the baby or by yourself. It was really important to my sanity for me to do so. Sounds like you need it too!

I have a 2 1/2 year old boy and recently mentioned to a fellow cacher that I might take him out. All they needed to say to keep me from doing it is, "Wait until he's older so ticks won't be an issue and he'll more likely to be able to survive a snake bite."

Now I don't think I'll take him until he's 5 or 6. He's got so many other things to enjoy, and if I really need to go caching I'll find someone to watch him.

Our little one, Tx Tadpole, is just a tad over 6 months old now and she's been on several caching trips with us. Most of our trips have been short in duration but we have been on a few day long (over 12 hour) trips. Her longest hike so far was right at 2 miles in length and that went smoothly as well (actually, she slept through about half of it). The girl just simply loves the outdoors. :blink:

The main thing is to have all your supplies with you so that you can take care of just about anything that comes up. We have a snuggli pouch type carrier that we have used but it gets a bit warm when we hike for any distance. If it's possible, we take her stroller (it's not a trail rated version but it has larger wheels and does pretty good on most trails) which makes it easy on both her and us. I would like to try the sling type thing or get a good backpack carrier that has some space between our bodies, but until then, we have to make due with what we have.

We haven't taken her on too many cache finds where we had to bushwhack so ticks haven't been too big an issue. Snakes are part of life and since she's not yet rummaging around on the ground, i don't worry about those any. Mosquitos are my main concern so we keep a pretty good eye out for those when we go out.

You noticed that i said "we" in most of what i wrote above. I've cached a few times, just her and i without problem, but it's definitely nice having someone else along to help with things on the longer trips!

I have a 2 1/2 year old boy and recently mentioned to a fellow cacher that I might take him out. All they needed to say to keep me from doing it is, "Wait until he's older so ticks won't be an issue and he'll more likely to be able to survive a snake bite."

Now I don't think I'll take him until he's 5 or 6. He's got so many other things to enjoy, and if I really need to go caching I'll find someone to watch him.

... Paranoia, the destroyer ...

Hiking and long walks (trails, in the woods, not so many hills) have long been my MO - my kids have been out with me from the get-go. My oldest was tossed in a backpack before she 'should' have been (not sitting up yet) so I could get back out.

I started caching when my youngest was 3. (As in, just turned 3.) To remedy some of the longer-hike-whine, I learned to take food with me. What a change!

There is a 'large' portion of the year where ticks are a non-issue as well as the snakes. For myself I found it rather ironic that the only time I ran into a snake on a trail was during my every day, early-morning 6-mile walk and a cottonmouth decided it was nice and warm riiiiiiiiiiiiight there on the pavement. Ticks were another story...

My point? Oh yeah, it would be a shame to let the threat of ticks and/or snakes to keep you from getting out of the pavement jungle... whether you're caching or NOT!

To the OP: seriously consider a carrier like Naomi suggested. Learn to carry only the bare minimum (there's really no reason to take your diaper bag with you every time you get out of the car) and plan your hunts in such a way that you eliminate the need to pack a bunch of crap with you other than... your baby (in carrier), your GPS and trades if you do that. There are so many micros, or short walk-type caches that this should be super easy to do. (If this is your first baby... I realize nothing seems easy at first!)

michelle

That's just ridiculous. Are you keeping him out of cars until he's old enough to better survive a crash?

My middle daughter was camping with us at 2 (pre-caching) and my youngest (not 2 yet) has been on several outings. We moved from the sling, to the backpack, to her walking/in the stroller.

Of course we don't take her on very remote cache trips or severe bushwhacking, but going along trails, she's in no more danger than in our yard. She's never out of sight and she's always covered in bug stuff and checked when we come home.

I'd much rather have kids growing up where outside/woods/nature is just part of life and not wait to "introduce" them to it later. My 10 year old daughter knows animal safety in the outdoors and has no fear of snakes, spiders, or creepy crawly bugs (as long as they aren't TOO close). I credit some of that to the fact that she's always been around that stuff, so it isn't "foreign".

I started geocaching when my kid was about 10 or 11 months. I picked the caches in public parks so I could take my kid to the swings and then for an easy stroll to find the cache. My wife also joined us so she could stay with the kid while I enter the bushes looking for the cache. It was fun for all of us though I am the only active geocacher in my family. I see why somebody would like to keep the kid out of the woods but depending where you live, there are a lot more safe geocaches that could be found on a Sunday stroll.

Our ony was the reason we started caching. My wife wanted an outdoor activity for the entire family. We started when lil man was five months in a sling. 3 years 800 caches and endless priceless memories later we don't see an end in sight.

Careful reading of the cache discription. and a little forsight kids of all ages can enjoy this great sport. We know little ones as young as days old caching. Have met a local family got a cache on the way home from the hosptal with another adition.

Go get out and enjoy.

... Paranoia, the destroyer ...

Hiking and long walks (trails, in the woods, not so many hills) have long been my MO - my kids have been out with me from the get-go. My oldest was tossed in a backpack before she 'should' have been (not sitting up yet) so I could get back out.

I started caching when my youngest was 3. (As in, just turned 3.) To remedy some of the longer-hike-whine, I learned to take food with me. What a change!

There is a 'large' portion of the year where ticks are a non-issue as well as the snakes. For myself I found it rather ironic that the only time I ran into a snake on a trail was during my every day, early-morning 6-mile walk and a cottonmouth decided it was nice and warm riiiiiiiiiiiiight there on the pavement. Ticks were another story...

My point? Oh yeah, it would be a shame to let the threat of ticks and/or snakes to keep you from getting out of the pavement jungle... whether you're caching or NOT!

To the OP: seriously consider a carrier like Naomi suggested. Learn to carry only the bare minimum (there's really no reason to take your diaper bag with you every time you get out of the car) and plan your hunts in such a way that you eliminate the need to pack a bunch of crap with you other than... your baby (in carrier), your GPS and trades if you do that. There are so many micros, or short walk-type caches that this should be super easy to do. (If this is your first baby... I realize nothing seems easy at first!)

michelle

I'm a firm believer in recognizing the actual risk vs reaction. For instance, in several threads where people are worried about things that could harm fellow cachers I mention that they're more likely to be harmed in a car accident on the way to the cache site anyway.

... you got me so I don't know what I'm doin' ...

Maybe I am being a little too paranoid with him. I've never been a parent before so I don't really know the "right" way to do everything, and I'm bound to make mistakes. It just seemed reasonable to me that a larger child would have less problems than a small one in these environments and with the possible dangers. That's not to say he won't get hurt riding his tricycle or in doing any of the other things I think are okay. I'm just trying to make good parental decisions and that's not always easy to figure out.

Some people are paranoid about different things. Some don't like to take their small children into the woods (even though it'll probably be just fine to do so), but they'll log their finds online and put up with any amount of email harassment and not let it bother them. We all do what we think is best. No?

That's just ridiculous. Are you keeping him out of cars until he's old enough to better survive a crash?
How old would that be?

I started cacheing last year when my youngest was 2 1/2. (I have 4 children). I would take precautions with all my children like spraying bug spray (only on the clothes of the youngest), putting good shoes on them, having them wear hats, using lots of sunscreen, etc. I ended up carrying the little guy on my hip or back while bushwacking, but he did really well. I still always keep him right next to me so I know that he's not poking around any dangerous places and I lift him over tall grass and thorns. We all shower as soon as we get home and I do a skin check of everyone for ticks. Kids are pretty tough though, tougher than me in many cases.

As for a little baby, you could use a sling or baby bjorn type carrier. When they get bigger, you can move them to a backpack. I wouldn't do super long hikes with a baby on the front because of the stress on your lower back, but you can go on short jaunts. You can also look for caches that are handicapped friendly and use a stroller.