Garmin Colorado problems under Parallels (WinXP)

I am a colorado user (400t) and a Mac user. I've owned a few Garmin handhelds over the last 10 years and have had to use a seperate Windows computer to manage them.

My current setup includes Parallels (Build 5608) running Windows XP for manipulating my GPS devices. I'm pretty comfortable using Parallels for USB and serial pass-through - i'm using several serial/usb GPS and radio devices under this same WinXP instance (under parallels). (only one at a time for this troubleshooting)

Most recently i got a new Garmin Edge 705. I've had no issues using this device on the same computer through Parallels under the same WindowsXP installation.

After using the 705 for a week i decided it wasn't the right GPS unit for what I needed to do so i exchanged it for a Garmin Colorado 400t. The 400t will not work on my Windows VM. I attach it using the Garmin USB cable and tell the Parallels VM to attach to it. The Garmin switches into mass storage mode but after about 10 seconds appears to simply power off.

I have a physically separate windows computer in another room. The colorado can connect to it just fine. Further if i don't let the parallels VM on my Mac access it and simply use it within MacOSX it works fine. As all of my maps etc are installed on the Windows VM i really need to be able to use it there. Has anyone else had a problem like this? All evidence points towards Parallels being the problem. I've verified that i'm running the latest version of everything involved:

- Garmin Colorado Firmware: v2.40

- Parallels Desktop Build: 5608

- WindowsXP SP2: All updates applied

- MacOSX: v10.5.3 (no pending updates)

- Garmin included USB Cable

- SanDisk ExtremeIII 2g SD card within the Garmin. I've verified that i have the same exact behavior with and without the SD card installed.

I've checked the support forums at Garmin (not much information at all) and Parallels (can't find anything) and am not having much luck.

I've also verified that my 60CSx works just fine in the same environment. For what it's worth i'm using a Mac Pro and connecting to the lower front mounted USB port

If anyone has any suggestions/workarounds etc i've definitely be interested in them. I love the unit and figure this is something that'll get fixed one way or another in due time. I do have the Garmin Mac utilities also. My bet's on this parallels problem being fixed and stable way before the Garmin Mac utilities make it to prime time :blink:

I am a colorado user (400t) and a Mac user. I've owned a few Garmin handhelds over the last 10 years and have had to use a seperate Windows computer to manage them.

My current setup includes Parallels (Build 5608) running Windows XP for manipulating my GPS devices. I'm pretty comfortable using Parallels for USB and serial pass-through - i'm using several serial/usb GPS and radio devices under this same WinXP instance (under parallels). (only one at a time for this troubleshooting)

Most recently i got a new Garmin Edge 705. I've had no issues using this device on the same computer through Parallels under the same WindowsXP installation.

After using the 705 for a week i decided it wasn't the right GPS unit for what I needed to do so i exchanged it for a Garmin Colorado 400t. The 400t will not work on my Windows VM. I attach it using the Garmin USB cable and tell the Parallels VM to attach to it. The Garmin switches into mass storage mode but after about 10 seconds appears to simply power off.

I have a physically separate windows computer in another room. The colorado can connect to it just fine. Further if i don't let the parallels VM on my Mac access it and simply use it within MacOSX it works fine. As all of my maps etc are installed on the Windows VM i really need to be able to use it there. Has anyone else had a problem like this? All evidence points towards Parallels being the problem. I've verified that i'm running the latest version of everything involved:

- Garmin Colorado Firmware: v2.40

- Parallels Desktop Build: 5608

- WindowsXP SP2: All updates applied

- MacOSX: v10.5.3 (no pending updates)

- Garmin included USB Cable

- SanDisk ExtremeIII 2g SD card within the Garmin. I've verified that i have the same exact behavior with and without the SD card installed.

I've checked the support forums at Garmin (not much information at all) and Parallels (can't find anything) and am not having much luck.

I've also verified that my 60CSx works just fine in the same environment. For what it's worth i'm using a Mac Pro and connecting to the lower front mounted USB port

If anyone has any suggestions/workarounds etc i've definitely be interested in them. I love the unit and figure this is something that'll get fixed one way or another in due time. I do have the Garmin Mac utilities also. My bet's on this parallels problem being fixed and stable way before the Garmin Mac utilities make it to prime time :blink:

I have had the same exact issue.

So i was just using my other PC in the house at first, then i was able to load some GPX files from the mac. but no can do in windows in Parallels.

suppose it's just another bug...either in the Colorado, or the Parallels program.

greenghostnet: You are correct, that's the way it's supposed to work. With other GPS devices (60CSx and Edge 705) this works as it should. With the Colorado it isn't able to be mounted by the WindowsXP OS. During the process of mounting the Colorado crashes and turns off.

It appears that for whatever reason the Colorado works differently in this regard than the other 2 GPS devices. It could be that Garmin is doing something different with the Colorado as it uses regular (full-size) SD cards and the others use MicroSD/Transflash and that's what's causing the problem. The fact that it works fine on a native windows computer and on MacOSX makes me think that the problem's somewhere in the hands of Parallels.

I've had this same issue with vmware fusion and the colorado on my macbook pro. My etrex and 705 work fine no issues but the colorado is always a pain to get working. Usually after several mount/unmount attempts I can get xp to see it, but it's extremely annoying. With or without a data card in it, same issue.

It would seem something in the way the colorado mounts is messing things up when working with virtual machine software.

I have not took significant time to try and trouble shoot it since frankly unless the next update adds a lot to the colorado I'll be selling mine as for my use the etrex is far superior.