Getting Started

quintios

Just got my Colorado 400t, but I did not purchase any maps because I am uncertain if I'm goin to like this unit, and I understand that once you buy maps they are locked to the unit forever. (i.e. if i return it, I've lost my money on the maps.)

How do I put the caches into a route? Is there a way for this unit to select the cache closest to me, and then the next cache closest to the first one, and then the next etc. etc. etc. Essentially, make a route out of the cache locations keeping the distance to a minimum.

How is this done?

For your sake, I hope the Colorado treats waypoints differently than in the Etrex models. I have a Vista HCx. When I set up a route using cache waypoints, I am unable to cache this way 'cause the compass page only displays the distance and bearing to the final waypoint. To navigate to the cache, I have to leave the route and select the waypoint ala carte; then re-engage the route.

I use MapSource to create the route and arrange the order I want to approach the caches. Then download the route into the Vista. It doesn't have an auto-arrange feature; don't know if the Colorado does.

Good luck.

Just got my Colorado 400t, but I did not purchase any maps because I am uncertain if I'm goin to like this unit, and I understand that once you buy maps they are locked to the unit forever. (i.e. if i return it, I've lost my money on the maps.)

How do I put the caches into a route? Is there a way for this unit to select the cache closest to me, and then the next cache closest to the first one, and then the next etc. etc. etc. Essentially, make a route out of the cache locations keeping the distance to a minimum.

How is this done?

No need to buy maps really, the 400t got topo maps built in. I got the same unit and I really like it.

The GPSr WILL show you the next nearest cache you have downloaded to it but... it will be the nearest cache in any direction from where you are!

Best thing would be to print out a map over the area with the caches you plan to go for, so you can tell which one is in the general direction of what you travel.

Good luck!