What's the distance between to coordinates

I want to place a new cache that will be very close to an existing cache. I know there should be at least .10 of a mile between caches. I have the coordinates for both the existing cache and the place I wish to place the new cache. My question is how do I find out how far apart these two spots are from each other. Is there a site that I can plug in the two coordinates and it will tell me the distance between those coordinates? I'd appreciate any comments and/or help. Thanks :blink:

Using the "search for caches" advanced features one option is to put in coordinates. It will tell you how close you are to other caches.

WOW! What a quick reply.....with in minutes. I tried what you suggested and you are right. I am within 451 feet so may be too close but I'll try with a comment to the person who approves the caches as the next two closest are .3 and then .9 miles away. This stuff is so easy when you know what to do. Thank you paulandstacy for the help and so quickly too. This is a great sport.

I want to place a new cache that will be very close to an existing cache. I know there should be at least .10 of a mile between caches. I have the coordinates for both the existing cache and the place I wish to place the new cache. My question is how do I find out how far apart these two spots are from each other. Is there a site that I can plug in the two coordinates and it will tell me the distance between those coordinates? I'd appreciate any comments and/or help. Thanks :blink:

I use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators

Caclulates distances, circles, coords, plus maps it.

Using the "search for caches" advanced features one option is to put in coordinates. It will tell you how close you are to other caches.

paulandstacey make a good point. Link to Advanced Search Features

Or download FizzyCalc (Windows compatible only?)

Good on-line solution. Great Circle Calculator

Thanks too, Cardinal Red. I tried paulandstacy's way and it worked but I'm glad to know about the other site and program too.

I want to place a new cache that will be very close to an existing cache. I know there should be at least .10 of a mile between caches. I have the coordinates for both the existing cache and the place I wish to place the new cache. My question is how do I find out how far apart these two spots are from each other. Is there a site that I can plug in the two coordinates and it will tell me the distance between those coordinates? I'd appreciate any comments and/or help. Thanks :D

I use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators

Caclulates distances, circles, coords, plus maps it.

Wow, so much help. This is great. Thanks to you too. :blink:

There is also a free program that wil do that plus a few other things. I don't have the site bookmarked but if you Google for GeoCalc 0.9.50 I'm sure you will find it.

Or, physically go out there where you want to place your cache, with all the surrounding caches entered into your receiver. Stand where you want to place your cache, and "GoTo" the nearest one. You shoud be able to see how far away it is, and quickly tell which direction you need to move.

This is the method I use when scouting a place in the field.

Another option (in addition to the excellent ones used above), is to use Google Earth. Download the Geocache Browser (from your profile) to start with, but unfortunately the cache icons show up in the wrong place. You'll have to manually enter the coordinates of the surrounding caches (I cut-and-paste from the cache description) to know exactly where they are, then measure to where you want to place one.

Another thing to consider is that you must presolve all multi-caches and unknown/puzzle caches in the area to avoid potential conflict with a hidden location.