Favourite / Innovative logging requirements

Carbon Hunter

What are some of the favourite or most innovatiev cache loging requirements that you've included or found at earthcaches?

Put a link in if you can.

I try to create an activity that involves some type of measurement. Say instead of measuring the width of a stream you measure the handrail of the bridge. Hey, it’s also safer…

Another technique I’ve used is to open the educational requirement to observation. Instead of listing ”several answers” have the cacher submit what they have observed. This approach seems to be very well received by cachers…

These are a sure fire ways of knowing that someone has visited the site and not arm-chaired the answer. It also helps when the photo becomes an issue, such as no room on the card, dead battery, very low light, all of which has happened to me.

We have various EC's with different logging requirements, almost all require a camera and unless we are convinced you were there, it's not up for debate - read the cache page and be prepared, we've all run our for a disposable when needed

Old sand dunes - use GPS to measure height difference and take a photo (so they don't just topozone it)

Intrusive feature - find and photograph a xenolith, find and photo "marble stew"

Gneiss or Granite - both are throughout the park - read the info we gave and tell us what you see, phot some feldspar, etc

Erosional feature (we wrote this for someone else) - measure the width of the land strip and using a pretermined erosional rate, tell us how long it will be until the stream breaks through and forms an oxbow. Photo a depositional zone.

Sedimentary feature - find and photo mud cracks and drip stone

Folding feature - measure the fold and determine the length of the section prior to folding - photo the fold. photo the vein

I have used getting coordinates of a feature that moves. In one case the flow of the stream infiltrates into the sand at different locations depending upon the amount of flow. The other, the level of the lake moves based on season. When I have the chance, I post them on Google Earth and upload the picture.

I also plan to have them measure the temperature of some hot springs. I blew my thermometer in it so I'll have to warn them about that.

I also saw the first Earthcache in Africa (in Dijibouti). At a below sea level inland sea.

You need to take a sample of the water home with you and let it evaporate and post a picture/description of nthe salt crystals and experiment.

Some loggers took up to 4 months after to post their log once experiment was finished!

I also saw the first Earthcache in Africa (in Dijibouti). At a below sea level inland sea.

You need to take a sample of the water home with you and let it evaporate and post a picture/description of nthe salt crystals and experiment.

Wow, great idea :) It's a pity that Africa is so far away.