MRJIFFY's Summer Meltdown Coin Sale

mrjiffy

Hadnt had a chance to check in on this recently but checked on the 2 coins I started off on their trips to find out they have moved....quite a bit. One coin has gone 500+ miles up north and the other went to islands oh about 2600 miles away!!! How Cool! Thanks for having this cool contest!

<Moderator edit: Scroll down for the cointest rules>

Hi,

Thought I would provide everyone with a sneak preview of a coin that will be used in a massive cointest I will be running this upcoming summer (June 21st to Sept. 21st, 2008) for all to participate in. I won’t go in to details yet, but there will be weekly prizes of special versions of this particular coin only available as prizes along with a grand prize of over 100 different non activated geocoins at the end of the summer! The cointest will involve finding and moving one of 50 special versions MRJIFFY’s Summer Meltdown 2008 coins that will be released in to the wilds of the geocaching world starting June 21st, 2008. To be eligible to participate in the cointest, you will need to find, log and take a photo with one of the traveling coins and post it in a yet to be established forum thread for the cointest, and then replace the coin back in to another cache within 5 days of initial retrieval. I have gotten the ok several months ago from Groundspeak to run the cointest and will be posting a new cointest thread with full rules as we get closer to the start date of the cointest.

To help build the grand prize of geocoins I am offering an Antique Copper trade only version(planned minting of 40)of this geocoin currently in the geocoin trading forum post #11122. The picture below is the coin version I will be selling to help recoup some of my costs for running the cointest (I estimate it will be around $600 out of pocket for me to run the cointest, even with the coin sales, not including postage costs) The sale version of the coin is currently slated for only 90 coins. I am not taking reservations yet, but will be posting the coin for sale under this thread once I have the coins in hand. I am expecting samples of the coins shortly from Landsharkz. Total minting of this coin is anticipated to be 250 for all versions. The coin is 1.75 in diameter and 3mm thick and finished in hard imitation enamel. The design is the work of Chris Mackey and I think that the finished design looks great. Looking forward to feedback and would certainly appreciate any support in regards to the trader version of this coin to build the grand prize. I am personally donating 20 different unactivated geocoins to the grand prize pool to get things started. Looking forward to everyone's feedback!

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

Production_colours_1.jpg

<This is the official start of the MRJIFFY’s Summer Meltdown Cointest running from June 21st to Sept. 21st, 2008. I have cleared the structure and design of this cointest many months ago with Groundspeak and have received their approval to run this cointest. The cointest is being run solely by me and Groundspeak is in no way administering this cointest in any way. All the coins in this cointest are trackable at geocaching.com

The Rules and structure of the cointest is pretty simple (at least I’ll try and keep it that way). Over the next couple of weeks, there will be 50 Polished Nickel MRJIFFY Summer Meltdown coins released in various geographies of the world by participating geocachers including myself. To participate in the cointest you need to do a few things, these are:

1. Find and log one of the travelling Polished Nickel MRJIFFY Summer Meltdown coins. Only the polished nickel Summer Meltdown coins will count toward this cointest.

2. Take a photo of yourself with the coin. This can be done alone, in a group or whatever format you decide upon. Creativity counts here and I will get in to this further in to this post

3. Post the photo under this thread, along with any stories you might want to add related to either the photo or finding the coin. In the post, you must also include the two digit number that I have written on the piece of paper accompanying the coin and stored inside the vinyl flip. Please ensure the engraved tracking number of the coin cannot be read in your photo.

4. You must replace the coin in to another cache within 7 days of retrieving the coin to provide another opportunity for another geocacher to retrieve the coin. I am relying on the honesty of those participating to not just log a deposit and then give the coin directly to another geocacher(i.e. their friend), let the next geocacher actually “find” the coin in a cache.

5. You must retrieve the coin from a cache, discovering the coin at an event does not count towards this cointest, although you could retrieve the coin from a cache and post a photo with the coin at a separate event to use as your photo submission, as long as the coin is replaced in another cache within the 7 day limit described earlier. If you are the one who retrieves the coin from the event after it is completed, I would consider that ok to post a photo as an entry as long as you deposit it back in to another cache within 7 days of the event end. I would consider only one geocacher able to retrieve the coin from an event, not a group

6. You must post a photo with the coin and accompanying description to participate in this cointest, simply logging the coin does not count as an entry.

7. Each geocacher can only log each unique coin once for the purposes of the cointest, i.e. if you find coin #31, you can only post one entry for coin #31, even if you find the same coin in the future in a different cache. If you find another coin however, i.e. coin #45 you can create a new entry with this new find of coin #45.

8. For each week of the cointest, I plan on awarding two prizes to participants; the first prize will be determined by a random number generator using that weeks postings that meet the above criteria and the second prize determined by what photo/story I find the most worthy of an award for that week. For the purposes of the cointest, each week will run from approximately Monday through to Sunday evening, with the next week starting on Monday. Prizes will be either a LE Foggy Gold Summer Meltdown Coin available only as a prize (30 minted) or one of my organizers Summer Meltdown coins (40 minted) Winners will be announced for the last week at the start of each week in this thread.

9. At the end of the cointest period, I will select a winner from all the valid posts made during the cointest period for a grand prize of approximately 100 different geocoins. I will do this using a random number generator so everyone who participates in the cointest has the opportunity to win. If a group of geocachers finds the coin, the geocacher who makes the posting will be the one who is eligible to win any prizing. I will post at a later time additional details on the 100 coins, there are some very good coins included as part of this grouping!

10. All decisions made by me regarding prizing, eligibility of entries and the start and stop times of each respective week are final and non negotiable. I want this cointest to be fun, so let’s all keep it that way please.

Coins should start appearing on June 21st, 2008 and continue to start their journeys throughout many parts of the world over the next 2-3 weeks. They can be found and watched on my profile as I will be the owner of all 50 travelling coins.

Good luck to everyone, hope this is as fun as I anticipate it will be! Photos of the Silver coin are below.

MRJIFFY smile.gif>

<Cointest rules added by moderator>

I'm sorry to report #3 is hopelessly lost. :blink:

As you will remember the midwest floods this year, this coin was placed in a cache just below the Clarence Cannon dam at Mark Twain Lake in Missouri. In order to keep the water level at acceptable levels, massaive amounts of water were released from the dam (approx 66,000 cubic feet per second . . . let's see carry the one . . . yep, the math works out to about half a million gallons per second), so you can easily see why this cache is gone.

After logging several miles of hiking downstream from the cache location, searching every nook and cranny that could hold the container from the cache ROCK SALT, I've come up empty.

here are some pics of the dam at the heat of the release

My appologies to Mr. Jiffy, and mostly to coin #3.

mraycii

550ca888-4077-4603-86d7-681219ecb5dc.jpg29f631f8-0d53-4102-b714-0294b0fc4039.jpg

Edited by mraycii

I'm sorry to report #3 is hopelessly lost. :blink:

As you will remember the midwest floods this year, this coin was placed in a cache just below the Clarence Cannon dam at Mark Twain Lake in Missouri. In order to keep the water level at acceptable levels, massaive amounts of water were released from the dam (approx 66,000 cubic feet per second . . . let's see carry the one . . . yep, the math works out to about half a million gallons per second), so you can easily see why this cache is gone.

After logging several miles of hiking downstream from the cache location, searching every nook and cranny that could hold the container from the cache ROCK SALT, I've come up empty.

here are some pics of the dam at the heat of the release Photo's were deleted to save loading time

mraycii

Seeing that much water released was a spectacular site though. Not to much could withstand that much water. It was nice knowing coin #3 while it lasted.

No worries with the coin being lost, sometimes life just happens, including missing coins!!! Thanks everyone for your continued participation and great photos. I am behind on the weekly prizes, so will hopefully have another drawing and major mailing over the next few days! Still another 9 days left, good luck to everyone.

MRJIFFY

I'm sorry to report #3 is hopelessly lost. ;)

here are some pics of the dam at the heat of the release Photo's were deleted to save loading time

mraycii

Seeing that much water released was a spectacular site though. Not to much could withstand that much water. It was nice knowing coin #3 while it lasted.

Hi Everyone,

Here are some additional winners from over the last two weeks. A random number was drawn from between posts #144 and 182, and the winner was post #153 Walking Spirit, The next random number drawn was from between posts #183 and 209, the random number winner from this grouping was Droo with post #190. Each of these geocachers wins a MRJIFFY Summer Meltdown Frosty Gold version prize coin (only 30 pieces minted). The two fun photo winners for the two week period are post #159 Sharom12 and #207 Ble68. Each of these geocachers wins a regular edition Black Nickel MRJIFFY Summer Meltdown coin! Please email me your addresses through this profile and I will get your coins out ASAP.

Congratulations to all the winners and keep the photos coming!

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

zon.gifWOW! That's great news on a tropical Dutch day

Thanks a bunch! PM is on the way.

no-value.gif Getting worried here as I still haven't received this special coin. :):(:( Any news about this coin I won?

It's been over 6 weeks here and still no winnings. After 3 weeks I asked Jason if it had got lost in the mail or something but no, he hadn't sent it yet.... and that was 3 weeks ago. :unsure::D:)

well done all you lucky people who at least managed to find a coin in a cache. at least you got a chance to enter this wonderful cointest. i blew the one chance i had of finding a coin. i made a massive road trip to get to the cache a mr jiffy was hiding in but circumstances ruined the day out to go caching, so i never even got to go caching that day. apparently mr jiffy is still in that cache but i cant make the trip to get to this cache its just too far away for me. sadly no one else has gone to that cache in the month it has been sitting in there so my hope that mr jiffy would come visiting closer to home has never materialised.

congrats to the winners and to everyone who managed to get their grubby little paws on a mr jiffy coin just for a short ttime.

thanks to mr jiffy for the generous cointest also.

I'm so happy to finally be able to get one of these Coins to move. I've been watching all of them that are in the US and Canada in the hopes that I might cross paths with one. I have to thank DeeDee2 for letting me know that this one(#6) might be in a place where I could get to it in the Big Truck. I had to drive a different route than I was told, but that's OK with me!

When I got to the park, I saw that some of the sprinklers were on, and I was a little worried that I might have to get wet while finding the Cache. Luckily for me, they were only spraying nearby, and had cooled the Coin just enough to handle it. I grabbed the Cache and worked a bit at getting the Coin out, then added my Raffle Tickets to the swag, and headed down the road. I wasn't even back to the highway when the Coin started to warm back up, and then Burned a Hole right through my pucket! I decided this was not going to be safe around all that diesel fuel, so I made another quick stop and got rid of it. We were only able to make it a few miles.

ab714bc2-c772-430c-9737-ed8d3afed092.jpg

Thank you for the great Cointest, I tried to get an interesting picture of us together, but with blisters growing on my fingers, I had to settle for this one. It's not too bad I guess, for a nightime flashlight picture (that's me in the mirror)

17668c2c-07c2-4588-acdd-7afa2541b506.jpg

The only number I saw on the paper was "#6"

I was watching the two Mr. Jiffy coins closest to home. One got close and was gobbled up before I could get there. Coin #26 was placed close to where I wanted to go the next day so we left early so we could have a shot at finding it. I opened the cache like it was a recently published cache hoping for the FTF. There it was; glowing brightly as we opened the cache!

Mr. Jiffy wasn't able to get out the next several days but on Day 6 we started to get after effects of Hurricane Hannah. On Day 7 we took him out to try to stop the rain and dry up the area!

Oh yeah, I had to take the batteries out of my GPS to put in my camera and didn't reset the date but I'm pretty sure you all believe me when I tell you I didn't take these pictures on 1/1/06

Jiffy171.jpg

Jiffy169.jpg

Jiffy168.jpg

Edited by PaHawkeye

It's been over 6 weeks here and still no winnings. After 3 weeks I asked Jason if it had got lost in the mail or something but no, he hadn't sent it yet.... and that was 3 weeks ago. :rolleyes::huh::huh:

I have discovered that running a large scale Game or Cointest can take much more time and work than you might imagine. I'm sure all thngs will be settled in time. I have found that it can take several hours each time I set out to create another round in my Cointest, then there is the time to prepare and send the packages.

Picked up Mr. Jiffy's Summer Meltdown #29 last week in Douglas #6 Russellville (GCA82C) down near Denver, CO. I was finally able to get some pictures taken and drop the coin in a cache here in Fort Collins, CO, before the 7 day limit was up! Sorry for the blurryness of the coin in the pictures, my camera isn't that great!

I was on my way to a cache when I drove by the Colorado State University Annual Flower Trial Garden, and decided I had to stop and take some pictures. This is where different plants and flowers are tested to see how they grow in the Rocky Mountain environment.

DSCI0150.jpg

DSCI0146.jpg

DSCI0152.jpg

Right across the street from the Annual Flower Test Garden is the old Fort Collins High School, which is now the University Center for the Arts.

DSCI0149.jpg

After spending a while just sitting there and enjoying the evening, I finally made it it to a cache, For the G-Man (GC1C3NA), where the coin and I parted ways.

DSCI0157.jpg

DSCI0156.jpg

Thanks for the awesome cointest Mr. Jiffy! I have enjoyed seeing everyone's pictures and am glad I was finally able to participate!

We found Coin #12 the other day and wow, what a nice, quality coin it is. The reed printing, hard enamel and glitter fill are fantastic.

Now, a story...

We evacuated the NASA/Houston area while Ike tore up our home. Currently Fort Worth is our home and will be for the next few weeks till we can get back there and pick up the pieces.

Mrs. ATMA, of course wasnt pleased that such a disruptiion was taking place but as soon as we found this coin, her day brightened up and she suddenly accepted the living in a hotel for a month idea.

Here is a photo of her being brightened up by this really neat coin while visiting a Native Texas Garden where a cache is hidden here in Fort Worth. Thanks for releasing them for all of us cachers to enjoy.

ATMA stuck in Fort Worth

MeltdownCured.j.jpg

Hello all! I'm new to geocaching, but I'm really enjoying it for the few weeks I've been involved. It's a great way to spend time in good company and allows you to explore places you never even knew existed. I also enjoy the challenge of the hunt and it's a great feeling when you find a cache you've been tracking down for awhile. I saw this thread regarding this contest a few days ago and I knew it's something I wanted to be a part of. After some diligent searching and chasing down of a coin near me(relatively speaking, :anibad: ), I was finally able to get my hands on this fine geocoin. It's built and designed well, a nice find! After getting it home for the photo shoot, it started to show it's TRUE colors!

IMG_0009.JPG

Yowzah! After some careful handling of this HOT beast and coaxing it near a freezer, I was able to handle this guy long enough to get a picture with it.

IMG_0028.JPG

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your contest Mr. Jiffy and may the best geocacher win!

- Coin #12 -

*** DISCLAIMER ***

No geocoins were harmed in this production. Careful planning and testing took place to ensure the geocoin, myself, others nor any property was harmed.

Edited by silox

Hi Everyone,

Wow, the last weekend of the cointest! I thank everyone for their patience as my weekly drawings have not been kept up to the schedule I had planned! I still have a bunch of coins to give away for the weekly drawings and also the best photo portions. I still also need to mail out some previous winners, you will all get your prizes that you won, my apologies for the delays but the cointest took some time and life just got very very busy unfortunately!

I made the coins to give away, so will still do that. Hope that everyone enjoys the last weekend of the cointest and the photos, they have been great and I have enjoyed them immensely!

Talk to everyone soon.

MRJIFFY

"(that's me in the mirror)" - WSR, I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever get to see what you looked like ( even if it was in the dark B) ) Actually, I wondered how you had your hands going in opposite directions :huh: .

You can find some pictures of me in the galleries of Events I've attended, especially in UT

Here I thought that you were trying to elude us and just to remain a mystery person in your own right while letting us enjoy your cointests B)

That was a great picture silox. Happy Caching.

Thanks Tooey!

I'm so glad those weren't in the same week as mine! Good job.

Thanks WSR, I thought your picture was very original and nicely taken. I took your advice and uploaded some better pictures, but using my own hosting to avoid the size/pixel limit. They still aren't much bigger, but the compression loss isn't as noticeable now. I'll just link them for those who are interested.

Mr. Jiffy's 'Fire in the Hole' picture

Me and Mr. Jiffy's #12 coin after some cooldown time

Enjoy!

We picked up coin #27 at a local cache and drug it around with us on a night that we went out friends to get 6 new caches! (FTFs!) The pictures of us are at the 5th FTF we went to that night. We had some really cool pictures of the coin from a fire tower in NJ with the rising sun coming up but we can't get them off the phone for some reason! :laughing: Thnks for the adventure!

-Galap-

ftf91608009.jpg

ftf91608010.jpg

We found this coin in Montreat, NC. We were on a weekend vacation with our church at Black Mountain. We realized there was only one day left in the contest and hurried to our computer as soon as we got home. This is coin number 21. We aren't real sure about adding our picture, but we are going to try.

mertsissay

have picture but don't how to put it on here.

Edited by mertsissay

I found this coin just today at the Central Ontario Geocachers Event in Collingwood at Blue Mtn Resort.

It was only when I came to retrieve it on line that I realized there was a contest connected to it.

So being on my own the only picture I could get was of my two geodogs holding the coin. Good thing they did not think it was a treat I was giving them. LOL

I am not sure how to get the picture on here so will send it to MrJiffy

I found this coin just today at the Central Ontario Geocachers Event in Collingwood at Blue Mtn Resort.

It was only when I came to retrieve it on line that I realized there was a contest connected to it.

So being on my own the only picture I could get was of my two geodogs holding the coin. Good thing they did not think it was a treat I was giving them. LOL

I am not sure how to get the picture on here so will send it to MrJiffy

Sunday Sept. 21st, 2008, Last day day of the Summer Meltdown Cointest. Decided to let this coin try hybernation with the bears in Red Feather Lakes Colorado.

Appearently I'm having the same trouble figuring out picture posting here in the forums so I'll put my picture on the coin's tracking page. I hope I can still be in the running for the booty!

some unplanned caching yesterday got me in on the end of this cointest.

it was a trecherous hike through uncharted territory... actually it was a beautiful hike along the bruce trail and at the end i was rewarded with finding this lucky coin.

like some other people i am struggling with attaching an image file so i will be sending it to mrjiffy

Hi,

Well, I figured I have made everyone wait long enough for the grand prize drawing. I have carried out a random number selection and after verifying that the geocacher retrieved and moved on the MRJIFFY's Summer Meltdown coin as per the cointest rules I am very happy to announce that Solan109 has won the grand prize of 100 different Geocoins!!! Her post was #213 if you are curious. Ironically she moved coint #1 which also translated in to the #1 prize....lucky geocacher!

Solan109 lives in Sweden, so shipping is going to kill me I think...lol...but congratulations on winning the big prize! I still have quite a few other single coin prizes to give away so I will be sending a bunch more emails over the next few days to the winners to let them know they won one of the single coin prizes.

Congratulations Solan109!! Please send me your full mailing address and name ASAP and I will pack up your coins for shipping.

Thanks to everyone for their participation in the cointest, it was lots of fun and I hope everyone enjoyed finding and moving the coins as well as watching all the great photos posted as part of the cointest.

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY aka Jason